• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Big Picture Mode" for Steam announced - Controller based navigation designed for TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBishop

Banned
OMG, this is a game changer. I've been begging for Valve to do this on Gaf for years.

Next step is Valve working with a PC manufacturer to produce a "Steam Box". An affordable, attractive system for PC gaming in the livingroom.

Reallink

Seems kind of silly when so many popular games don't have native pad support--Bioshock 2, Mass Effect's, Dragon Age's, Witcher's, Amnesia, ect... Wish they had the clout to mandate developers include it to appear on Steam, but don't think they do. WASD is probably the biggest barrier in pulling life long console loyalists over to PC. Lot of console only players are hungry for a new generation and new hardware at this point.

SmokyDave

This is awesome, I use my 42" for most of my gaming and it's a pain in the ass not being able to navigate with a pad. I'm assuming that the 360 pad will be supported.

Reallink said:
Seems kind of silly when so many popular games don't have native pad support--Bioshock 2, Mass Effect's, Dragon Age's, Witcher's, Amnesia, ect... Wish they had the clout to mandate developers include it to appear on Steam, but don't think they do. WASD is probably the biggest barrier in pulling life long console loyalists over to PC. Lot of console only players are hungry for a new generation and new hardware at this point.
don't forget you can still connect external non steam games and apps to the steam interface, using a pad to move around steam is just like have a pad controlled game front for your computer.

Half of my steam games are external linked racing titles, and using a pad to navigate my steam list is most welcomed.

Should have called it comfy couch mode.

Here's a question. Has there ever been steam branded hardware? Granted, the 360 wired controller seems to be the de facto PC controller at the moment but I wonder if we'll see Steam certified items in the future.

Polk

zoner said:
I doubt most PC gamers will want their tower hooked primarily to a television/away from their desk. If you want to build a second PC then I suppose that's an option but even then it's not much different from what you can do right now.
Funny thing is two of my pcs are connected to tv, while 360 to LCD monitor.
I hate when people are sending me messages over Steam so if it will make me see someone is asking, I'm happy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Reallink said:

But even then it's still useful. Even if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse and you play all your games with a keyboard and mouse, a 10 foot interface is still useful and I'd still rather use a remote or gamepad to use a 10 foot interface.

theBishop

Banned
Reallink said:

I think it puts pressure back on those developers to leave the damn gamepad code in. Bioshock1 on PC with a gamepad was the best possible way to play it (imo). I would have bought Bioshock2 on PC, but they dropped pad support.

From Valve's end, all they have to do is filter the store listings in "Big Picture" mode to games which have pad support.

It doesn't stop anyone else from using keyboard and mouse.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Arnie said:
Full Steam integration for PS3 announced at E3, calling it.
Do you mean like buy Steam games on and for your PS3?

Or do you mean like access everything Steam apart from the games?

Man, I'm hyped for this though. Being able to have the in-game overlay useable with the pad while playing games that are enjoyable to play with pads will be a godsend.

Smash88

Banned
And that folks is the end of console gaming.

Just kidding, don't get mad.

Great news for people that kept complaining about couch + controller is better than Keyboard + mouse and sitting in a chair. Maybe more people will fall in love with PC games.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I always have my tv hooked up to my computer (cloned screen), and this feature will be nice when I want to play controller supported games through Steam, I guess. Don't really see it as a big deal for me though, since most PC games I play use mouse and keyboard (and I can't use that from my comfy sofa :().

theBishop said:
From Valve's end, all they have to do is filter the store listings in "Big Picture" mode to games which have pad support.

Love this idea though. Valve, make it happen!

Smash88 said:

TDQcu-1.gif

androvsky

theBishop said:

See, the fun thing is this mode being added to PCs helps Steam compete more directly with the PS3. So the fact they're announcing this just before Portal 2 launches is mildly interesting; either the full Steam on PS3 deal didn't happen (or was never going to), or Valve just wanted a more unified interface between platforms when the full deal hits. Kinda leaning towards the former, as cool as the latter would be.

wwm0nkey

Smash88 said:

Great news for people that kept complaining about couch + controller is better than Keyboard + mouse and sitting in a chair. Maybe more people will fall in love with PC games.
Hell I wont be shocked if it isnt at least the start.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
StuBurns said:
Just announce a SteamBox already, day one.

I have a SteamBox, and it's greatest feature is that it's an open platform and not entirely restricted to Steam. It's quite lovely, actually.

Smash88

Banned
Littleberu said:

It was a joke....

I even made sure people knew.

I own a Wii and 360 if that helps you with your anti-joke gaf force movement.

theBishop said:
Yes, but OnLive might spell the end of client-side processing altogether.

OnLive is not going to take off, it is too early in terms of tech for internet usage, especially with bandwidth caps. Plus, it looks like OnLive will be something that will be used in mobile tech from what I've read.

wwm0nkey

If this supports 3rd party games added to the Library to work with it I will be so happy. Halo 2 on the big screen again :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
nice. Valve feeling the heat from onlive, they need competition like this to succeed to the masses

I really hope this gets more developers to support gamepad on PC. I love gaming on my PC more than my consoles, I'm just not a fan of KB/M for anything other than MMO and RTS games. Definitely a step in the right direction, thanks Valve.

Salsa

herod said:
Seems like Valve really does want to be in the console game.

Consoles are too limited for Valve.

DLC/update restrictions, file size limits, whatever. Valve works on PC and is making its own empire out of it. Sony must have offered them a SHIT-TON of movie for them to be game with the whole steam connectivity thing after all the shit Gabe threw on them.

wwm0nkey

This will probably get a few of my friends to get a gaming PC since their only argument is that they like using a controller.

I am going to assume this just wirelessly hooks up to your PC and plays your steam library

Minsc

Gold Member
Reallink said:

Xpadder/Pinnacle Game Profiler puts just about every game to a pad.

StuBurns

Banned
SalsaShark said:
Consoles are too limited for Valve.

DLC/update restrictions, file size limits, whatever. Valve works on PC and is making its own empire out of it. Sony must have offered them a SHIT-TON of movie for them to be game with the whole steam connectivity thing after all the shit Gabe threw on them.
You are crazy. There's no way Sony paid for that, they don't benefit whatsoever. The $7 per unit of Portal 2? It's nothing.

Salsa

StuBurns said:
You are crazy. There's no way Sony paid for that, they don't benefit whatsoever. The $7 per unit of Portal 2? It's nothing.

I dont know man, that change of mind is shady as fuck.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh man consoles are truly fucked if Steam ends up as slick as some of those XBMC skins. Like the custom backgrounds/library selection interface + selecting games for info/etc. I will get my own background for every single game on my list if they let me.

V_Ben

Banned
SalsaShark said:

I don't think they paid them, I think they let them put Steam features on the PS3 version of Portal 2.

Rich!

holy shit

this is what i've been waiting for. FUCK YES.

thank you valve! My gaming PC upstairs is linked to my HDTV and I use that primarily for PC gaming. I have a wireless keyboard, but fuck, 360 pad support would be so much more convinient.

Salsa

V_Ben said:
I don't think they paid them, I think they let them put Steam features on the PS3 version of Portal 2.

Yeah, i think that's enough.

I mean, to think that with a copy of Portal 2 for PS3 you get an extra copy to play on platforms that are basically made by competitors like Microsoft or Apple..

iam220

Awesome, was actually just discussing that steam should do this very thing in one of those pc vs console threads.

wwm0nkey said:
This will probably get a few of my friends to get a gaming PC since their only argument is that they like using a controller.

Don't worry they'll find another argument.

Reallink

Minsc said:
Xpadder/Pinnacle Game Profiler puts just about every game to a pad.

Yep, but too much of a hassle for the group a feature like this targets (i.e. streamlined simplicity) and sometimes questionable results that just don't feel right or control right. Many games relying on quick menu's and shit also need to have a "first party" solution to pads, as they require some redesign.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
herod said:
Seems like Valve really does want to be in the console game.

I don't think it's really about that though. It's more about maximizing the potential of Steam, gamepad support has become almost a requirement for most PC games, and programs like MotioninJoy make it easier than ever so it only makes sense for them to make their service a little more friendly to pads.

StuBurns

Banned
SalsaShark said:
There really hasn't been any change of mind as far as I can tell. Gabe said it they couldn't focus on doing PS3 games and weren't willing to have others port for them because the Orange Box port is a few metacritic points lower.

When Gabe announced Portal 2 for PS3, he didn't go back on anything he'd said about the console, he thanked Sony for not punching him in the face, but he didn't change his mind at all.

I think it just got to the point where the installbase was worth the extra effort, Gabe also mentioned that they had some new staff who'd worked on PS3 before they went to Valve and they wanted to again. I don't know how truthful he is, I know GAF is full of cynics, but Gabe really doesn't have a single reason to lie.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stallion Free said:
Oh man consoles are truly fucked if Steam ends up as slick as some of those XBMC skins. Like the custom backgrounds/library selection interface + selecting games for info/etc. I will get my own background for every single game on my list if they let me.

you can do that right now. launch game. take screenshot. there, you've got a background for that game.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
StuBurns said:
like osx* support, steam on ps3 is valve's modern take on the shareware model.

the only thing more stark than the quality of the service is the revelation of what you're missing out on.

(*i originally typed mac, buying into the jobsian delusion that the off-the-shelf hardware inside them couldn't somehow be put to better use. my apologies.)

T-Matt

This is music to my ears, I just prefer playing games on a pad so anything that helps streamline the experience is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom