• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth features fully customizable controls, 60fps, seeded runs

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well, as it started out as a 3DS project, I don't know which version should be considered the port in this scenario, or how lazy that port might turn out to be.

It bothers me quite a bit that the game will not run at native resolution on Vita, but since I'm eager as fuck to play this on a handheld I'll be day 1 on it anyway

Nillansan

And they plan release it first on another platform, so much care for fans of original..

Has this actually been confirmed? If so can you provide a source? I've been hearing about this timed exclusivity deal with Sony for some time now, but I can't seem to find any official word on the matter.

Grief.exe

They have a contract with Sony and a hard release date. But that does not mean that they cant release on PC at the same time as PS

Edmund has said that the contract stipulates the PS4/Vita versions will launch prior to the PC.

Has this actually been confirmed? If so can you provide a source? I've been hearing about this timed exclusivity deal with Sony for some time now, but I can't seem to find any official word on the matter.

Buried in Edmund's blog somewhere.

Actually forgot about this game. Gonna play the shit out of this. If it's really free on PS+, then I'll play it on Vita and probably buy it on PC as well since Edmund mentioned there would be a discount if you own the original.

bidguy

Banned
is this another "secret" sony exclusive like diablo ?

nicalis has xbox devkits so why are they never answering questions about an xbox version

Wereroku

is this another "secret" sony exclusive like diablo ?

nicalis has xbox devkits so why are they never answering questions about an xbox version

Because Sony has paid some money at some point. Part of the agreement is probably don't talk about any other console versions. I mean they hardly talk about the PC version. It sounds like Sony might have even paid for the console versions themselves since they told them to ignore the ps3 and focus on the newer console.

Good Guy Sony.
Yep still waiting for psn version of meatboy from good guy microsoft. I think maybe you should be looking a little bit in Edmund's direction on this stuff.

Grief.exe

Because Sony has paid some money at some point. Part of the agreement is probably don't talk about any other console versions. I mean they hardly talk about the PC version. It sounds like Sony might have even paid for the console versions themselves since they told them to ignore the ps3 and focus on the newer console.

I've noticed that Edmund barely mentions the PC version's existence.

It's quite frustrating considering there are millions of Isaac fans on PC who are essentially left in the dark.

I've noticed that Edmund barely mentions the PC version's existence.

It's quite frustrating considering there are millions of Isaac fans on PC who are essentially left in the dark.

At first I felt that way, but I don't blame Edmund. These are the realities of signing contracts with console holders. I don't believe we are being left in the dark..and don't feel like Edmund thinks he is leaving us in the dark either. We know it's coming. Any information is information...doesn't matter what platform at this point. Yea, it sucks that BOI:R is coming to PS first...and obviously it depends on how much time there is between releases which will decide if I get mad or not, but a few weeks wont kill me. I have the original to play in the mean time :)

Wereroku

At first I felt that way, but I don't blame Edmund. These are the realities of signing contracts with console holders. I don't believe we are being left in the dark..and don't feel like Edmund thinks he is leaving us in the dark either. We know it's coming. Any information is information...doesn't matter what platform at this point. Yea, it sucks that BOI:R is coming to PS first...and obviously it depends on how much time there is between releases which will decide if I get mad or not, but a few weeks wont kill me. I have the original to play in the mean time :)

I made a joke about Meatboy's 360 exclusivity but the reality is that Edmund and co are pretty small so they don't have a ton of capital to pump into their games so I think these contracts help them get the game developed then they can worry about getting it to other places later. I think he is trying to give PC players something with the discount for owning the original. I would guess it's probably a month exclusive like a couple of their other games. As far as an XBO version who really knows there is probably at least a 6 month exclusivity thing going with Vlambeer's deals but it could be more if Sony paid for the development of the console version.

I made a joke about Meatboy's 360 exclusivity but the reality is that Edmund and co are pretty small so they don't have a ton of capital to pump into their games so I think these contracts help them get the game developed then they can worry about getting it to other places later. I think he is trying to give PC players something with the discount for owning the original. I would guess it's probably a month exclusive like a couple of their other games. As far as an XBO version who really knows there is probably at least a 6 month exclusivity thing going with Vlambeer's deals but it could be more if Sony paid for the development of the console version.

Yep, I agree.

I know it sounds corny, but whatever Edmund needs to do to maximize sales for the game, I'm down with it, because, month late or not, I want Edmund to be able to keep doing the things he's doing for a long time.

SerTapTap

The game could quite possibly not exist if not for Sony funding, like Grim Fandango's remaster. PC version is coming, that's more than you could say for most exclusivity deals. Cool your jets people, it will come and it will be great.

If it's any consolation to PC gamers, Europeans probably won't be seeing the game for a looong time.

Since it'll be free on PS+ and so far EU and US PS4 games have been identical, I have hope that it'll be released simultaneously.

Unless it has been confirmed that it won't, which would suck.

Since it'll be free on PS+ and so far EU and US PS4 games have been identical, I have hope that it'll be released simultaneously.

Unless it has been confirmed that it won't, which would suck.

Well I'm a pessimistic old fucker and Nicalis are awful. But hopefully yeah the PS+ contract has some stipulation about "Get your ass into gear".

Well I'm a pessimistic old fucker and Nicalis are awful. But hopefully yeah the PS+ contract has some stipulation about "Get your ass into gear".

I just bought 1001 on PC and didn't care but I need Rebirth on Vita (and for free).
There's no room for pessimism here.

AoM

Got Platinum God about a month ago. It feels so weird having nothing to unlock/achieve.

I'm hoping Rebirth is out by October.

Stet

Banned
Everything about this sounds amazing. I'm glad it's 60 fps, but let's be honest, fans of the original would have accepted a stable 20 fps.

Theres no score in Isaac, the only leaderboard you could do is speedrun. That would be way less fun than Spelunky's daily challenge.

Ferrio

Banned

The community mostly does a race format, and seeding is more of a speed running format. I mean there's currently programs that allow to use seeds in BOI already, and it's not really used in competition events.
I'm sure there will be competitions things here and there, but with the racing format it has some issues do to ghosting etc. Kinda less exciting for the spectator too.

A big number of them are asking edmund to add an option to toggle items on/off, so they can ban certain overpowered combinations. Right now they have to just ask racers not to pick up certain items (or they're allowed to reroll it), which isn't a very good solution.

So pumped for this. Will play on my vita non stop. God this is gonna be awesome. Probably dropped at least 300 hours in the original and expansion. Gaaaaaaahhh I need this right now.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Too bad that even at 480x272 BoI has so impressive effects that they are not going to be on the Vita version, after all if Killzone Mercenary is all Vita can do visual/effect-wise we have to deal with it...

The community mostly does a race format, and seeding is more of a speed running format. I mean there's currently programs that allow to use seeds in BOI already, and it's not really used in competition events.
I'm sure there will be competitions things here and there, but with the racing format it has some issues do to ghosting etc. Kinda less exciting for the spectator too.

A big number of them are asking edmund to add an option to toggle items on/off, so they can ban certain overpowered combinations. Right now they have to just ask racers not to pick up certain items (or they're allowed to reroll it), which isn't a very good solution.
Competitive BoI racing is never very exciting to watch anyways because "LOL RANDOM CHANCE," be it good or bad. Nothing quite spells 'honest competition' like someone drawing Mask of Infamy and the tools said player has been given being suboptimal at dealing with that boss, to use a notorious example.

And if the boneheaded community is worried about ghosting, then it's easy to fix. Just utilize OBS' / Twitch's stream delay.

I'm so hyped for this, do we have a release date?
There's only this tease from Ed McMillen so far, dating back over a month ago:

can you give me 3 awesome teasers for rebirth but one must be the truth and 2 must be made up

Rebirth is coming out in 2 months
Rebirth is coming out in 4 months
Rebirth is coming out in 6 months
With the release trailer being worked on this week, I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Duxxy3

Almost guaranteed that my most played game of the year will be The Binding of Isaac, follow by... The Binding of Isaac Rebirth.

Top Bottom