• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite - PC graphics options revealed [Update: System req. & new article]

dmr87

Guess you can't catch all the news, totally missed this and searched for a GAF thread and here it is. Happy to see decent settings.

RatDog

Neo Member
Interesting... I might be canceling my newegg pre-order.. ( even if they offered it for 10 less on the 360)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BioShock Infinite: The PC Version Difference

and Specs revealed.

Minimum

Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHZ
RAM: 2 GB
Hard Drive: 20 GB free
Video Card: DirectX10 Compatible ATI Radeon 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
Video Card Memory: 512 MB
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommended

Processor: Quad Core Processor
RAM: 4 GB
Hard Drive: 30 GB free
Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, ATI Radeon 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

http://www.bioshockinfinite.com/news/pc-specifications-for-bioshock-infinite-announced

Edit: updated the OP.

Well its depends on much they modified the base code. Bioshock built around the UE2.5 engine but it was heavily modified.
Indeed, I tried running Bioshock on an older system that was perfectly capable of running most UE2 games, and it really struggled. Does anyone know if Infinite is just as heavily modified?

masterkajo

Sounds good. Though I hope my 5770 is still able to run this at an acceptable level. Otherwise I might have to finally invest in a new piece of hardware.

Eideka

Banned
30gb holy fuck.

Playing the PC version on Medium settings is fairly close to the console version, though higher quality in a few areas. As you go up from there to the High, Very High, and Ultra settings the difference is enormous.

I love to read this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Bioshock: Infinite ditches GFWL for Steamworks

fans_war_face5jxofluyu.gif

This is the real news here.

Eideka

Banned
Honestly, who doesn't have at least a TB of HDD space? I think my PC has 2TB and it's a piece of garbage.

I'm with you on that one, I was just surprised by how much space the game is going to eat. That's not an issue in this day and age anyway.

masterkajo

I agree, but I can't imagine what the reason is for not having values listed for the slider's position.

True that. It really seems the devs just want to troll us. Like, sure here you can ajust FOV but we won't tell you to what degree :p

Regardless, I am happy I have the option even though I don't understand the no value thing. I mean how hard is it to program the display of the value? Like 5 mins of work?

hmm, wonder how well this'll run on my 2010 macbook pro. i'll have to compare the graphics card to infinite's minimum requirements.
i'll definitely double dip, either around release or a bit later when i finally build a desktop pc.

Why is there 10GB difference in HDD space between minimum and recommended?

high-res texture install, i assume.

nOoblet16

I will be seriously disappointed if they still have the 15hz cap for physics refresh rate, that looked like jerky as hell....even more so when playing on PC at 60FPS.
If not then atleast don't cap it to 15 for PC version.

Eideka

Banned
Mainly because it's a game coming out on current consoles, and one using UE3 to boot.

DX11 effects are not to be underestimated, even on high-end rigs they can butcher the framerate.

On a sidenote I'm kind of disappointed not to see native MSAA in the PC version.

Nos_G

Kind of sad that my gtx 460 is no longer considered as min spec... I guess it's time to seek out a new video card.

HoosTrax

I would be perfectly happy if developers just made high resolution textures an optional free DLC, like the way Skyrim and Sleeping Dogs does it.

Xdrive05

Kind of sad that my gtx 460 is no longer considered as min spec... I guess it's time to seek out a new video card.

You mean recommended spec? Because your 460 is quite beyond the min spec of 8800GT.

Btw, I love how revolutionary (popular/mainstream) the 8800GT was this console gen. Even after all these years devs still scale their games to support it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm still slightly torn though... play the whizbang pc version that will look better no matter what or go for comfy couch huge tv/great surround sound on the xbox ... with I'm guessing 30fps/720p.... decisions decisions.

HTPC on comfy couch with 360 controller.

Teletraan1

Banned
Honestly, who doesn't have at least a TB of HDD space? I think my PC has 2TB and it's a piece of garbage.

SSDs currently aren't huge so you can have a refrigerator effect going on if you have a lot of games installed. Also bandwidth caps in certain countries are embarrassing so downloading 30GB is half of some peoples bandwidth cap for the month even though they have the speed to download this overnight. And for what...some movie file I am going to skip anyway or redundant movies files in both 720p and 1080p.

Eideka

Banned
Because if a brand new high end card doesn't run it well, what will?

Awful optimization can go a long way, in 2011 I had a GTX570 and Batman Arkham City was still unplayable with Physx + DX11.

I assume Infinite won't stress my system very much, from what we have seen it's not an incredible looking game technically speaking.

HoosTrax

Just curious...how did you know it's a laptop?
You have a mobile GPU. The capital "M" in the model name of the GPU (and CPU for that matter) is usually a dead giveaway.

Given how games perform on laptops I think you are better off opting for the 360/PS3 version.
They perform perfectly fine. Until you hit the temperature thresholds. And fans start screeching and things start throttling and slowing down.

You have a mobile GPU. The capital "M" in the model name of the GPU (and CPU for that matter) is usually a dead giveaway.

Well then, I learned something today.

Would the game be unplayable on my laptop? I don't have a 360 or PS3. I can run Bioshock 1 and 2, Portal 2, etc...on relatively high settings without hiccups.

I'm not really a specs person so sorry if these are really basic questions.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't. I only have a 512 gig raid array of flash storage. And my case is too small to add any more drives.

Would the game be unplayable on my laptop? I don't have a 360 or PS3. I can run Bioshock 1 and 2, Portal 2, etc...on relatively high settings without hiccups.

You meet minimum spec, but are under recommended. You should wait until the game comes out and check the performance thread here or guru3d before buying either way.

Eideka

Banned

The game will run don't worry but don't act surprised if you come accross a few issues. I won't go as far as saying laptops are not suitable for gaming but they are definitely not ideal.
The game features a built-in benchmark for that matter :
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/15/bioshock-infinite-system-requirements-specs-pc/

Top Bottom