• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioWare to announce how they're going to address ME: Andromeda on April 4th

What was your favorite video game disaster relief program?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antibolo

Banned
The "poor devs" sentiment, really falls flat when you've waited 5 years and paid $60, for a really buggy game with tons of head scratching design choices.

People shouldn't call out individuals. But they have every right to call out Bioware/EA as a whole.

$60 is not a lot of money for a product that has cost tens of millions and many years to make.

Unfortunately there is really nothing they can do to make this former mass effect fan buy this game short of a complete remake after what I've seen of the writing.

This makes me want to put the game down and wait for what they're going to announce, TBH. I'm not that far in, and I'm wondering what / how much they're going to change.

I'm enjoying ME:A enough to keep going back, but every single time I play I encounter a lot of bugs, bizarro behavior, dialog cutting itself off, saves not loading, or all of the above...plus a lot of really head-scratching dialogue. The writing and VO in particular just feels seriously phoned in, and I don't expect a fix for that whatsoever.

Hopefully they can apply the obviously-missing layer of polish via DLC.

Madness

$60 is not a lot of money for a product that has cost tens of millions and many years to make.

Please. This is not a good response. $60 is a lot of money for some and it is irrelevant how much they spent on it. If there are substantive issues with the game, it doesn't matter if you spent $5 or $50. A billion dollar piece of shit is still a piece of shit at the end of the day.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
How is announcing you are going to announce something "trying to fix" things? We're days away...Just announce the thing when you have something for us. The announcement could be that everything was fine with the game. Who knows?

Because when devs stay completely silent they get crucified?

It's lose lose. They are communicating, and they state in this release they are working to make Andromeda better. They aren't saying more because they are still working out the details.

How is this a hard concept to comprehend?

Tovarisc

Unfortunately there is really nothing they can do to make this former mass effect fan buy this game short of a complete remake after what I've seen of the writing.

Writing has low points, just like OGT, but for large part is at level of OGT and at places above it by good margin. When you watch clickbait that is all about highlighting bad you get very narrow view of game.

A teaser for an announcement of a bug patch...

Let that sink in...

qywiNci.gif

Ideally games would come out and be great, but I'm not going to be negative about a developer being open/transparent with their fans.

Pooya

I don't care about glitches or the animations too much. It's the writing that's so damn awful. I don't think you can patch that... I've no idea what they were thinking, sure ME games had some goofy moments but not like this in scenes that are supposed to be serious. The whole game has such a strange tone to it, it's not funny, it's off putting.

After 7 crashes (and innumerable lesser bugs) in 20 hours of PS4 Pro gameplay I decided to shelve the game for now. Sad because I was loving a lot of things about the game. I may or may not return depending on how the game improves.

Free multiplayer lootboxes and the first story DLC is free!

Really though, after No Man's Sky, I'm not going to fault any developer for trying to communicate with their audience.

Well, they are doing a great job with No Man's Sky... I bet Bioware can put an even more epic rescue than Hello Games.

I will continue to shit on the game on the meantime, though.

i-Lo

$60/person X 'xyz' of millions of people globally = substantial income.

I had to do a double take with your post. Bioware didn't make a game to sell to one person. Also, I don't know if you're trying to justify that somehow it is acceptable to sell broken bioware game at that price point which is shared by almost all games (in US at least) which more often that not do not suffer from same set of issues be it by virtue of their nature or their writers, programmers and animators.

SOLDIER

Can't wait for them to include a "My face it tired" joke down the line.

Because ha ha ha, look how witty and with it they are. It'll be the ME2 elevator joke all over again.

Bioware is back, guys!

Aselith

Sure it is. Movies cost multiple times more than games and only cost $10-15. Games are the most expensive of the media pillars. Movies are less, books are less, music is less. Games are expensive to buy from the start up cost of a console to the individual game purchase price.

You certainly get more time with them so it may be less per hour generally but it can't be argued that they are not an expensive thing to invest in.

levyjl1988

Banned
Something tells me that it will be free loot boxes or something. I don't even play multiplayer...

They have to do something serious.

Change Ryder's model to be more aligned to her actress.
Fix the ugly presets in character customization.
Fix the animation and glitches.

There's too much damage to be honest. The Mass Effect franchise after the trilogy is dead like Dragon Age with Inquisition.

kamolahy

Neo Member
Something tells me that it will be free loot boxes or something. I don't even play multiplayer...

There's too much damage to be honest. The Mass Effect franchise after the trilogy is dead like Dragon Age with Inquisition.

Wait, did I miss out on the universal hatred for DA:I? Reviewed quite well, no?

PooBone

I'm glad they're addressing issues for their fans.

They've missed the boat with this fan, but plenty of others have spent that money and they deserve better, from the look of it.

Angry Fork

I wonder how hard the blowback has been on them both in terms of feedback and sales. Virtually no one I know is happy at all with the game, and the most bought it not expecting much but were huge ME fans and they were still disappointed. It's kind of crazy. I returned my rental copy after about 12 hours in realizing that while I was having some amount of fun exploring planets I didn't care in the absolute slightest about the story or plot, and hated or was indifferent at best to virtually every character in the game.

I wonder what they even do here. Yeah, it's fun and easy to shit on the graphical quality/animation stuff, but I feel like people are almost equally complaining about the writing and characters, so even if they manage to roll out immense graphics/animation/bug fixes I just can't imagine that undoes most of the damage already done here. I'm super interested in watching what happens here, I'd love to be given an even halfway decent excuse to pick the game back up but you can't really fix story and characters like they "fixed" the ME3 endings.

In any case I feel like this was their one shot to bring everyone back that felt burned by ME3 and the flak that got, and they fucked that up and even if they manage to turn things massively around there's some number of people they've lost forever with the bad launch. In a year of absolutely incredible releases already 3 months into the year ain't nobody got time for mediocre/broken games.

This is mainly why I haven't gotten the game and don't have much interest, not necessarily because of the glitches/animation stuff which I can get over, but very lukewarm response when it comes to the characters/story.

I like that apparently they brought exploration back, which is what I loved most about ME1 and wished they always expanded on that, but with everything else being meh I'm not convinced it's worth $60.

inky

No, no. It's not "a product", it's a personal, limited, non-transferable, revocable and non-exclusive license to use the game service.

If you are going to start shilling for these companies at least get the terminology right.

Whew, this post 😂

$60 is a lot when most of that money and time is spent on the marketing budget.

The chances of them fixing this game in a direction that makes the game better seems basically nill.

jackdoe

Sounds less like an announcement for bug patches (though they could still announce them), and more of an announcement of their DLC plans.

Snagret

Gotta love how we don't even find "announcements of announcements" weird anymore.
A lot of people in this thread do, actually. I think they haven't announced specifics because they don't have any yet, it'll take some time to weed through the complaints and figure out what is feasible to promise to fix and what isn't, but they've given us a hard date for when that'll be and I'd much prefer that communication to complete silence.

This isn't the same as situation as a "teaser for a teaser for a release date" or whatever. People have the game in their hands and are drawing from their personal experiences when they say the game is pretty damned rough in a lot of spots. Being open about figuring out how to address these concerns is absolutely the best thing to do in this situation.

The worst they could do is what Hello Games did, which was go completely silent and not even hint that they were working on updates for the game for months, which left people wondering for far too long whether they actually were or not. Which is just about the worst thing you could in the situation, but also probably feels a lot easier given that no dev (or publisher) wants to go out and admit their game even has flaws that require fixing to begin with.

Stiler

Wonder if they'll be doing any voice over tweaking? Some voices are sooooo monotone and delivered with 0 emotion behind them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have 10 free hours and I couldn't even get through the first hour and I'm a big fan of the series. This is not a mad effect game. Pure garbage.

PillarEN

PR team was probably furious knowing the game was going to ship in the state that it did. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes trying to deal with this sort of damage control. Nothing they put together will offset the launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom