• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware's new IP in playable build; new Mass Effect and DAI also being played

Musolf815

Given they like 2 year cycles, maybe we'll see something like this:

Dragon Age - Fall 2014
Mass Effect - Spring 2015
New IP - Fall 2015
Dragon Age - Fall 2016
Mass Effect - Spring 2017
New IP - Fall 2017
etc.

Is Bioware's new Star Wars game still a thing? They could pad out their schedule a bit more if it has a regular release schedule.

That is the meanest form of teasing. I so want to play the next mass effect game. Im very curious about the new characters and plot.

Any ideas?

Is Bioware's new Star Wars game still a thing? They could pad out their schedule a bit more if it has a regular release schedule.

Bioware Austin has the TOR MMO and just released an add-on. I'm not factoring them into the equation.

If you're talking about the star wars game, that's EA Canada (Burnaby) working on an open world game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sure, I liked Alpha Protocol, but the only thing that was great was the writing. Everything else was pretty terrible. Can't think of a game with more broken bosses than AP.

The mission structure and C&C swim circles around Bioware and would probably be the hardest for them to replicate.

Some Nobody

So what do people hope the new IP is? They have fantasy and sci-fi covered. CD Projekt are doing Cyberpunk.

Maybe a Steampunk RPG? Whatever it is I'm sure I will be surprised. It won't be as unique a setting as Jade Empire was I imagine. That game did ok but not great.

1.) I'm a fantasy nut, so if they took another whack at that tree I wouldn't be upset.

2.) Steampunk would be kinda cool, but...

3.) I'd mostly like a return to Jade Empire. Never got a chance to play that game because I owned a PS1/DC at the time, but man it always looked and sounded amazing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In an interview with Game Informer BioWare clarified that SWTOR is their only active Star Wars project, and that they're not committed to making a Star Wars RPG that isn't SWTOR, but they are considering it.

However, they also noted they have a lot on their plate at the Edmonton/Montreal offices between their three AAAA games.

Yay, that's good to hear. Wasn't the release hinging on Battlefield 4's performance or something like that?
Not exactly. EA was just indicating that if they didn't release a Battlefield title in in Fiscal 2015 (April 2014 - March 2015), they would have to release a lot of titles in order to grow their revenue, which is one of their financial goals.

Mass Effect does around 4-5+ million, so it would be a game that would work well toward hitting that goal.

That said it looks like Visceral might be releasing a Battlefield title in Fiscal 2015, so the Battlefield comparison point might become a moot issue for EA.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Light RPG elements would be more than what we got in ME2/ME3. :(

Light RPG elements is exactly what we got in ME2/3. XP, Lvls, customizable powers and weapons(both which were greatly improved in ME3) and different story progression depending on choices.

Or were you trying to say "ME2 and ME3 are pure third person shooters and have nothing RPG at all in them"? Ha.

Lakitu

st5fu
I really hope the new IP is some sort of espionage RPG, plus I think Casey Hudson is a Deux Ex fan isn't he?

I do hope the Dragon Age team do some sort of Jade Empire sequel next though. Imagine a Jade Empire sequel on this hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really hope the new IP is some sort of espionage RPG, plus I think Casey Hudson is a Deux Ex fan isn't he?

I do hope the Dragon Age team do some sort of Jade Empire sequel next though. Imagine a Jade Empire sequel on this hardware.

While the Dragon Age team did express interest in Jade Empire (they're technically responsible for both series), they kind of implied it might come back in a non-standard way like a downloadable game or a tablet RPG the last time the subject was broached.

This was during the Game Informer interview as well.

When I mentioned Jade Empire by name to Casey at the launch of ME3, he just laughed. I don't think we'll see it any time soon.

gazele

Banned
So what do people hope the new IP is? They have fantasy and sci-fi covered. CD Projekt are doing Cyberpunk.

Maybe a Steampunk RPG? Whatever it is I'm sure I will be surprised. It won't be as unique a setting as Jade Empire was I imagine. That game did ok but not great.

I'm gonna guess pirate RPG

Linkified

When I mentioned Jade Empire by name to Casey at the launch of ME3, he just laughed. I don't think we'll see it any time soon.

Booo, actually I wouldn't mind Bioware working on Wild West game with heavy mysticism element style game - kinda like the first Lone Ranger script before the rewrites.

Freeman

Banned
My brain is telling me not to trust them, but its so tempting to believe they learned from their mistakes.

Man, them promises, big areas, feels fresh, dynamic ... I must remember DA2 and ME3, they are still under EA... Oh, Origins was so good, Frostbite 3, 6 discs, new gen... I give up. Dragon Age:Redemption confirmed. All aboard the hype train, lets all pray it doesn't crash in the last station.

Respawn

Banned
Goddamn. Bioware is going to be cranking stuff out this gen. I totally forgot they were working on a new IP.

They're probably DVDs or blu rays, not CDs. Shadow Fall was 290GB before compression.
Holy Moly 290?

Looking forward to Biowares love next year.

RPGCrazied

Damn, I want that ME info. I just hope its not called ME 4. Shepards story is done. I bet you a million dollars its going to be a prequel.

Karak

6 different colored endings confirmed.

Sadly the biggest pushers for something Jade Empire were the Docs themselves. Had a good time talking to them about it with them a couple years ago. And it wasn't a money maker either which is probably why there was some laughter. Strange world we live in though. Anything could happen.

Lakitu

st5fu

Well that's disappointing.

While the Dragon Age team did express interest in Jade Empire (they're technically responsible for both series), they kind of implied it might come back in a non-standard way like a downloadable game or a tablet RPG the last time the subject was broached.

Doubly disappointing. Guess I'll hold out hope :(

Sadly the biggest pushers for something Jade Empire were the Docs themselves. Had a good time talking to them about it with them a couple years ago.

Yeah, I recall reading an interview with them saying they'd love to do a sequel, guess that's what stuck in my mind.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
6 different colored endings confirmed.

Sadly the biggest pushers for something Jade Empire were the Docs themselves. Had a good time talking to them about it with them a couple years ago. And it wasn't a money maker either which is probably why there was some laughter. Strange world we live in though. Anything could happen.

6 different colors? I think you are being too optimistic.

Karak

Yeah, I recall reading an interview with them saying they'd love to do a sequel, guess that's what stuck in my mind.

Yep. We also had the leak years ago with the little weird art that looked like it might have come from a first phase of a games discussion plans but it didn't go anywhere. All I know is, it takes a true fan to remember the names of all the martial arts in the game and they did hahahaha.

6 different colors? I think you are being too optimistic.

Slightly better response.
Obvious Derision: "6 different colors? I think you are being too optimistic meatsack."

IvorB

My brain is telling me not to trust them, but its so tempting to believe they learned from their mistakes.

Man, them promises, big areas, feels fresh, dynamic ... I must remember DA2 and ME3, they are still under EA... Oh, Origins was so good, Frostbite 3, 6 discs, new gen... I give up. Dragon Age:Redemption confirmed. All aboard the hype train, lets all pray it doesn't crash in the last station.

What do we know? It could be awesome. They've got the budget for it. Probably best to wait and see though.

Herne

As much as they've disappointed me with ME3, as much as they did so even more with DA2, I'm still excited. I can't not love Bioware, no matter how angry they make me.

I hope their new IP is an RPG. It's just so rare these days for devs to be making RPG's that actually have a plot, but more importantly, interactive story elements...which imo, is one of the biggest boons to storytelling in an interactive medium

I wish JRPG's were interested in following a more mature / interactive element with their storytelling.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
As much as they've disappointed me with ME3, as much as they did so even more with DA2, I'm still excited. I can't not love Bioware, no matter how angry they make me.

Sounds like an abusive relationship.

Breemin

Whatever the new IP will be, it will be gooood!

They have the core team from KOTOR on it, and its been in the works for a long while now. Over 2 years already?

Oh yea!! Im excited
407754.gif

Not like this...........

Lautaro

Cyberpunk RPG, I hope.

Let the competition between Bioware and CDPR create something more than just snarky fanboys.

Since JE was a take on Chinese mythology, they could so something similar in the vein of Greek, Roman or Norse mythology. I would play that.

Whatever the new IP will be, it will be gooood!

They have the core team from KOTOR on it, and its been in the works for a long while now. Over 2 years already?

Oh yea!! Im excited
407754.gif

ooh, the KOTOR (Or SWTOR, the mmo?). I don't wanna do this to myself, but what if it's Star Wars related?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, we're most likely talking about the first vertical slice of the game. I'm more interested in the state of ME. I presume it's somewhere between the two, but they are very hesitant to talk about it, probably for fear of diluting their hype for DA.

It might not be ready to show yet either.

They implied that a lot of it is in whitebox right now (level geometry is there, but there are no textures and other flourishes that get added as the level design gels).

Breemin

ooh, the KOTOR (Or SWTOR, the mmo?). I don't wanna do this to myself, but what if it's Star Wars related?

Yea Knights of the Old Republic which is a very awesome game in its own right. The SWTOR team is completely different and still working on SWTOR stuffs.

I hate how well they can keep secrets.. Seriously no one has a clue what this new IP is even about or what genre it is... One thing I will guess is that it will have the same circular interface as the rest of their games... Which I think started with KOTOR...

They deserve points for their astounding concealment

It might not be ready to show yet either.

They implied that a lot of it is in whitebox right now (level geometry is there, but there are no textures and other flourishes that get added as the level design gels).

Yeah, we got some rough alpha footage of ME2 (tower scene with Thane) that was like this from GDC IIRC. It wasn't intentionally released, that we know of. Presumably, we could see something similar happen at the forthcoming GDC.

Have they said whether it's an RPG specifically?

Bioware has never done anything but, even their sonic DS game was an RPG. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Breemin

No, but they've never made anything other than RPG games. 99.9% sure it's an RPG.

I agree, not for over a decade they haven't. Its been either all RPG or MMORPG since I think at least 2000, why deviate now?

The BIG question is what type of RPG? I am hoping for cyberpunk, we don't nearly have enough of these...

Yeah, we got some rough alpha footage of ME2 (tower scene with Thane) that was like this from GDC IIRC. It was intentionally released, that we know of. Presumably, we could see something similar happen at the forthcoming GDC.

Bioware has never done anything but, even their sonic DS game was an RPG. I wouldn't expect anything else.

Yeah, I figured it'd be, but I was also worried there might be a case of EA appropriating the team for some other game, and just slapping the Bioware label on it.

At minimum I expect BioWare to refer to it as an RPG.

Whether everyone will evaluate the product the same way may be up for debate.

Well said. I don't like to get into the semantics of what constitutes an RPG, I just hope whatever it is...they bring back some of that old school depth that we all know and love.

Top Bottom