• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bishop stabbed during a church sermon in Sydney, riots developing between community & police

Status
Not open for further replies.

near

Gold Member
Just days after the Westfield Bondi Junction stabbing that left six dead, a man walks up to Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel who was conducting a church sermon and begins to stab him during a live stream. Up to 4 people have be wounded. The community has began to riot.

Graphic footage of stabbing:

Protests between police and community as they want to take justice into there own hands:

Unremorseful assailant smiling as he's being pinned down by police:

Story developing...

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Only people with atheist parents can say that.
...And people who grew up in an entirely secular society (nobody).

Either way, this attack is awful. Silently walking to an old man and then stabbing at him with a knife is awful whatever your views on religion are.

This feels like another incident in the world's slow spiral downward.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Jesus man. Whatever this infectious insanity is that's gripping America has clearly gripped Australia as well.

My condolences, that's truly disturbing. I wish whatever was happening to our world would hurry up and end. Awful times.
You mean religion? Violence based around theisms has been a thing since forever.

But violence is rarely a good solution (with exceptions)

Last edited:

Dutchy

that sydney community looks very nice. nothing like a good old fashioned lynching as a way to bring justice to your perpetrators. religion is a beautiful thing

clem84

Gold Member
because religion?
I mean sure but a Catholic priest being attacked during service... I don't remember ever hearing that before. Doesn't mean it never happened but I'm guessing it must be exceedingly rare.

Kenpachii

Good, break all his bones and stab him to dead also. See how he likes it. Then after that go after his family and jail his parents for life.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Good, break all his bones and stab him to dead also. See how he likes it. Then after that go after his family and jail his parents for life.
This is maniacal, wrathful, and solves nothing. This kind of urge for wanton violence and retribution is what got us in this global situation in the first place and it is not the answer.

AJUMP23

Ignored crime and haven't punished people for it, it will continue to escalate until they collapse the society or they change the way they are treating people.

There is some south American country (El Salvador) where they elected a new leader on the promise of reducing crime. He put all the gangs in prison and has drastically reduced the crime rate. A harsh response can solve major issues.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Ignored crime and haven't punished people for it, it will continue to escalate until they collapse the society or they change the way they are treating people.

There is some south American country where they elected a new leader on the promise of reducing crime. He put all the gangs in prison and has drastically reduced the crime rate. A harsh response can solve major issues.
Venezuela I think you're referring to?

Kenpachii

This is maniacal, wrathful, and solves nothing. This kind of urge for wanton violence and retribution is what got us in this global situation in the first place and it is not the answer.

Yea comfy cell, with food every day will sure fix everything.

Artoris

Gold Member

There is some south American country where they elected a new leader on the promise of reducing crime. He put all the gangs in prison and has drastically reduced the crime rate. A harsh response can solve major issues.
Its this I think

linko9

Hope he recovers quickly. Some context, this bishop is a minor celebrity, was on the Patrick Bet-David podcast recently, and is very outspoken.

near

Gold Member

"Police have arrested a 15 year old boy after a prominent bishop and three other men were allegedly stabbed during a service at an Assyrian church on Monday evening."

On rumours that riots cut off assailants fingers:

"The senior officer was also asked about rumours that the alleged assailant’s fingers had been chopped off in revenge.

Reports are that he has injuries to his hands - I don’t know the extent of those injuries at this point,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Holland said.

He added: “His injuries are quite severe in his hand, he’s fairly upset and fairly distraught.”"

----

Mr1999

I looked this Bishop up and he recently was talking about how someone on TikTok was saying how he had only two weeks to live. The Bishops response to that was strange, saying that he was not scared of dying and that he welcomes it and wishes to go to the after life. I get he is a peaceful person, but if you see someone coming at you like that, you take his hands at least or prevent him from stabbing you, going down doing nothing is not an option, you have to fight back.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

I get he is a peaceful person, but if you see someone coming at you like that, you take his hands at least or prevent him from stabbing you, going down doing nothing is not an option, you have to fight back.
He did, Christ is King

U6Chz8D.jpg

Haha that guy is so fucking lucky this is not happening in South Africa because there the community would have ripped him to shreds and lit his ass on fire in broad day light. The cops would be standing aside and coming to clean up the mess after.

The fucking worst way to die. I remember years ago the community got hold of a rapist, dragged him out into the streets to beat him to an inch of his life, stripped him naked, cut off his 'thingy' and then hung a tire around his neck before lighting him on fire. The cops were spectators because if any of those guys came into intervene they'd end up like that rapist.

But this is the result if the police don't do anything about crime. In South Africa the police are too inept and so the community takes the law into their own hands.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Jesus man. Whatever this infectious insanity is that's gripping America has clearly gripped Australia as well.

My condolences, that's truly disturbing. I wish whatever was happening to our world would hurry up and end. Awful times.
America? Australia? Open your eyes bro, this shit going on everywhere, this is just the news outlets that care to share. Genocide is going on in a lot of places and this isn't just an American or Australian thing. This is a worldwide thing. Stop watching only the sensationalized news and do some research yourself my friend…the “infection” is far further spread out than you are giving it credit for 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

poodaddy

America? Australia? Open your eyes bro, this shit going on everywhere, this is just the news outlets that care to share. Genocide is going on in a lot of places and this isn't just an American or Australian thing. This is a worldwide thing. Stop watching only the sensationalized news and do some research yourself my friend…the “infection” is far further spread out than you are giving it credit for 🤷‍♂️
I understand it's more than America or Australia, and I don't just get my news from mainstream outlets. I'm aware there's problems everywhere, I'm specifically referring to the nearly ubiquitous shootings and violent crimes here in America and the fact that I was unaware that such violent crimes were on the rise in Australia, (particularly in such a brazen manner), which is a country I consider similar to America in economic and governmental regards. I was merely stating how I find it tragic, and that I wish the world could be healed of this nonsense sooner than later. Nothing about my statement, one of empathy, was remotely deserving of your oddly aggressive and condescending response. Try to have a good week man, you seem pretty high strung, could use a chance to unwind and take it easy. Love to ya.

I understand it's more than America or Australia, and I don't just get my news from mainstream outlets. I'm aware there's problems everywhere, I'm specifically referring to the nearly ubiquitous shootings and violent crimes here in America and the fact that I was unaware that such violent crimes were on the rise in Australia, (particularly in such a brazen manner), which is a country I consider similar to America in economic and governmental regards. I was merely stating how I find it tragic, and that I wish the world could be healed of this nonsense sooner than later. Nothing about my statement, one of empathy, was remotely deserving of your oddly aggressive and condescending response. Try to have a good week man, you seem pretty high strung, could use a chance to unwind and take it easy. Love to ya.

We get you mate. I'm sure the guy you're responding to meant well. Makes one sad to see these stories popping up :(

Blessed day to you all and keep safe GAF

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wars, civil wars, rumors or wars... Escalated violence...

I know it's happening and how complex things led up to them... It's never linear like many WANT to believe... But there's still so much beauty in this world that I can't give up on it.

Still... This boy is ill. He needs all the help he can get and then atone for his crime.

Is the bishop alright? I hope he is recovering and will be well soon.

Wars, civil wars, rumors or wars... Escalated violence...

I know it's happening and how complex things led up to them... It's never linear like many WANT to believe... But there's still so much beauty in this world that I can't give up on it.

Still... This boy is ill. He needs all the help he can get and then atone for his crime.

Is the bishop alright? I hope he is recovering and will be well soon.
Nah fuck that, deport the man back to middle east. Crackdown on Islam in the west and start deporting them

Nah fuck that, deport the man back to middle east. Crackdown on Islam in the west and start deporting them
I'm generally behind this sentiment but in this situation the perp is only 15 years old. He was probably born here. Makes it a little more difficult.

He still needs to have the book thrown at him (and it won't happen). The justice system in Australia is a joke.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Where did I use any condescending language toward you at all? I simply stated a fact that it’s going on everywhere, and unfortunately most news outlets only cover American “mass attack” violent crimes. I promise I’m not trying to take away from your empathic response, nor am I trying to make it seem like you aren’t being empathic. If it came off that way, I apologize. I can get passionate about certain topics here, especially when it involves the world’s evils. I am having a good week so far, started a new job and it’s going well so far. I just get upset that worldwide mainstream media has painted this picture that America is the only country with these mass attacks. It has been pretty rare in Australia since they cracked down on guns heavy in the 90s after a huge mass suicide. I’m just not a fan of news outlets painting some countries someways, and others other ways, with the way they do it.

Just calling it “infectious insanity” that is gripping America can throw people for a loop. Hard to empathize with that particular statement. It gripped a whole lot of other places in different ways before the states.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Was the kid a Muslim? I don't think that's been confirmed.

I read on BBC news that authorities have repeatedly declined to state the religion of the alleged attacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom