• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Clover Anime |OT|Studio Pierrot's answer to Naruto

XAL

Episode 2 was nothing but filler.

The first 5 minutes was pulled from episode 1. The entire 17 min flashback sequence offers no character development and could have been covered in 2 sentences of dialogue between the 2 main characters. Also, if you thought Asta screaming in the first episode was horrible wait until you meet screaming child Asta.

The 40 seconds of new footage at the very end of the episode could have been a post credits for the first episode.

I think having my time wasted and intelligence insulted in this fashion guarantees I will never watch episode 3.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Asta and Yuno's message is really going to fall flat on its face when it is eventually revealed that their parents are extraordinary (speculation on my part).

Trojita

Maybe this will be the first time we get actual voice acting changes for the blu-ray releases 😂

They are probably like "Fuck, we already had them voice act several episodes already. Everybody hates it. The fuck do we do now?"

Chase17

Titles for Episodes 3-6 from yonkouprod

Episode 3:" To imperial Capital, Clover Kingdom" (クローバー王国、王都へ) (Actual eng. title may be different)
Episode 4:"The Magic Knights Entrance Exam" (魔法騎士団入団試験) [Same title as ch.2]
Episode 5:"The Road to the Wizard King" (魔法帝への道) [Same title as ch.3]
Episode 6:"The Black Bulls" (黒の暴牛) [Same title as ch.4]

Pacing is looking to be pretty consistent.

Kaizer

Banned
Haven't started watch this yet, but judging by the reactions, this seems like another anime, much like One Piece anime's abysmal pacing, that I should wait to binge in 4 to 5 episode chunks to see any real story progression.

Mesoian

Episode 3:" To imperial Capital, Clover Kingdom" (クローバー王国、王都へ) (Actual eng. title may be different)

Which is Glacial.

I might put watching the anime version of this on the backburner.

Trojita

Way to kill "The new king of shonens" before it even started.

Trojita

Regarding Asta . Yuno could be royalty most likely. He did have an expensive locket on his neck as a baby.

I can't access that page, but I'm guessing what it is is the (Chapter 97 Spoilers)
Witch Queen talking? While she doesn't believe he is related to the leader of the bad guys, she still doesn't know who his parents were.

Yuno's locket is definitely
one of the magic stones. That shit has been obvious since the get go.

I can't access that page, but I'm guessing what it is is the (Chapter 97 Spoilers)
Witch Queen talking? While she doesn't believe he is related to the leader of the bad guys, she still doesn't know who his parents were.

Yuno's locket is definitely
one of the magic stones. That shit has been obvious since the get go.

Exactly
Asta is just a freak mutation and being nothing special makes him special. This was a welcome change to the regular formula of being strong because of genes or prophecy

Haven't started watch this yet, but judging by the reactions, this seems like another anime, much like One Piece anime's abysmal pacing, that I should wait to binge in 4 to 5 episode chunks to see any real story progression.

We only have 2 episodes to judge. I actually didnt mind the filler in episode 2 because it did a better job of explaining motivations and relationship between characters than the manga did. The series actually picks up pace by 3rd arc and then just goes from there.

Consistent? No. Not even close. I tried the first two episodes and then checked out the manga. Consistent. My. Ass.

Regarding Asta. Yuno could be royalty most likely. He did have an expensive locket on his neck as a baby.
Don't think you're allowed to link to scan sites.

Sir Doom

It is like Naruto alright that it’s re-threading all it’s cliche

At least One Piece has unique takes and no forced rivals
My Hero Academia your cliche no power in the beginning only to power up later, but better writing

Also that voice

What I'm liking about the choice of extending episodes is getting more character development and interactions. The weakest and best part of Black Clover for me are the slower paced chapters where characters are able to interact because those chapters were fun but they are very seldom. Having these fillers will get other characters to shine. Then there is a part I'm hoping that gets animated that was not a part of the manga
introducing characters from a light novel to the main story.

It is like Naruto alright that it’s re-threading all it’s cliche

At least One Piece has unique takes and no forced rivals
My Hero Academia your cliche no power in the beginning only to power up later, but better writing

Also that voice

It is a lot like Naruto and Fairy tail in the first part and the cliches are really cliches but I think they are executed well. When other characters are introduced and when battles focus more on teamwork that is IMO where it truly shines. I know this is an unpopular opinion but sometimes I like it more than Academia when comparing the recent chapters. It's so vanilla and cliche but it's fun to read.

XAL

Episode 3:" KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Episode 4:"SYOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Episode 5:"HYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Episode 6:"KUMBUMWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Screaming is looking to be pretty consistent.

ftfy

The most prominent female character is actually pretty cool and has standout moments in the series.

I'd say as a whole the female characters get treated really well in this series. World Trigger is still the top tier example of how females in shonen should be, but the ladies of Black Clover get plenty of opportunity to show off and grow.

are the token looking female characters as secondary as expected?

Depends upon your definition of secondary

If its "the girls don't get fights" thats not an issue the girls get to see plenty of action.

Of course the girls who crush on the guys all get fairly caty about it where almost every single guy has two girls who cat over him.

Some Nobody

A chapter an episode is consistently slow as fuck. This is insulting. There's WAYYYYY more material than you need to do this series, what the fuck.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A chapter an episode is consistently slow as fuck. This is insulting. There's WAYYYYY more material than you need to do this series, what the fuck.
They'rd planning ahead, why make filler arcs when you can drag out Chapter content.

Though tbd a lot of events have so little build up I think some of the filler may be helpful in terms of consistency.

The title piqued my morbid curiosity, due to Naruto being godawful. The promo art actually made it look really interesting, like Seven Deadly Sins with better art and I got my hopes up thinking that OP was yanking chains.

Then I saw that godawful yell compilation.

Probably going to have to avoid this for my sanity's sake.

Some Nobody

They'rd planning ahead, why make filler arcs when you can drag out Chapter content.

Though tbd a lot of events have so little build up I think some of the filler may be helpful in terms of consistency.

Far as we know, it's scheduled to run 51 episodes. If that's the case, you don't need to drag anything out. Chapter 128 just came out I believe, so you've got plenty of material. Unless you're going to speed things up during fights.

The title piqued my morbid curiosity, due to Naruto being godawful. The promo art actually made it look really interesting, like Seven Deadly Sins with better art and I got my hopes up thinking that OP was yanking chains.

Why even watch shonen?

chirt

Neo Member
Voice actor for Asta made me quit the show in the first 5 minutes lol

Deer Lord
fd7Wrse.jpg

I watched the first episode but I don't know if I can keep it going with that VA. Also JP Goku is GOAT

He barely even is like that in ep2.

Sir Doom

It is a lot like Naruto and Fairy tail in the first part and the cliches are really cliches but I think they are executed well. When other characters are introduced and when battles focus more on teamwork that is IMO where it truly shines. I know this is an unpopular opinion but sometimes I like it more than Academia when comparing the recent chapters. It's so vanilla and cliche but it's fun to read.
Ok I’ll give it one more episode

FStubbs

I felt like the mangaka's previous work, Hungry Joker, had potential, but it didn't make it.

It seemed like this was a cynical response to that - a horribly derivative ripoff of a show that rehashes character designs (the sorcery emperor is the Hokage and even looks like adult Naruto), plot beats, etc of Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, and other recent popular shonen. Now while some shonen like Dai no Daibouken are also cliched and walk the standard tropes, that show at least had heart. There's an overarching air of pure cynicism and sterile manufacturing that you see in this series.

But hey. A couple of the girls are hot.

It says a lot that a concept like this took off.

I felt like the mangaka's previous work, Hungry Joker, had potential, but it didn't make it.

It seemed like this was a cynical response to that - a horribly derivative ripoff of a show that rehashes character designs (the sorcery emperor is the Hokage and even looks like adult Naruto), plot beats, etc of Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, and other recent popular shonen. Now while some shonen like Dai no Daibouken are also cliched and walk the standard tropes, that show at least had heart. There's an overarching air of pure cynicism and sterile manufacturing that you see in this series.

But hey. A couple of the girls are hot.

It says a lot that a concept like this took off.

I still think part of it was timing, naruto fans were hungry.

I like hungry joker but I think again it was again timing, hard to compete in the mag at that time.

Chase17

New episode tomorrow. Here is the preview.
Episode 3: To the Capital of the Clover Kingdom!
Asta and the others work on their skills to become the Wizard King!

It’s been Asta’s dream since childhood to become the strongest of all magicians: the Wizard King. His first step in doing so is to enlist with the Magic Knights, the order led by the Wizard King. He and Yuno strive in their rigorous training; the tower masters are concerned about the five-leaf-clover Grimoire that Asta has come to possess.

Still no date for the Funi dub, even though they have given a date for every other series they are simul dubbing, which is too bad.

New episode tomorrow. Here is the preview.

Still no date for the Funi dub, even though they have given a date for every other series they are simul dubbing, which is too bad.

Maybe the backlash to Yuno's JP voice has both sides of the fence scrambling to fix stuff?

DMVv974UIAI_E0T.jpg:small
DMVwPdyVQAEsQWv.jpg:small

DMVwhcvVoAA8js_.jpg:small

Best Asta and even a sleeping Yuno, we need more of this content.

The racing to the church scene was hilarious especially since Yuno actually does compete with Asta usually his type of character wants to have no involvement in these things. Also the way he occasionally does smile at the thought of Asta and what not, pretty good.

I also liked the journey, I never imagined they were actually THAT far away from the kingdom, deserts, forests, mountains, etc. But it was good to see them team up randomly and look after each other.

Great.

Chase17

Crosspost

Black Clover 03
How many times can rivals race each other in one episode?

So pretty much a completely anime original episode as expected. Though it did show a shot of the captains from Chapter 1 as well as flesh out a fight between the OG Wizard King and some demon that is the very first page of the series.

The original content was mostly just Yuno and Lily clowning on Asta which was alright. I liked that they added some scenes showing about how the Father and kids at the orphanage care about and will miss Asta (and expect him to fail lol). The Asta/Nash section was also solid, wonder if it will be brought back up.

You might have missed it but Asta actually met the fifth most popular character in the series this episode based on the latest character poll.

Hunterpedia Petit Clover
So I guess we will be having these segments to (1) fill up a minute and (2) keep Yuno in the mindshare.

It will probably provide some fun bits so I'm good with it.

These character development episodes are nice I guess even if they are fillers. The beginning of the manga was too fast paced and a lot of character interactions have been missed IMO.

Top Bottom