• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month: What ever happened to those white folks from those old photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallbaro

Banned
It just drives me crazy to think about it. These people killed and just went back to their families like nothing happened. They had kids and then grand kids and probably passed on all their insane beliefs and we're still dealing with all that bullshit even today.

It's scary to think about what's been going on in the shadows of America the last 50 years. These people never went away they just stopped making it public.

Just look at all the racists here on GAF when it comes to their property values.

But from a governmental point of view reconciliation rather than mass retribution is usually the only way forward.

jackal27

Banned
It just drives me crazy to think about it. These people killed and just went back to their families like nothing happened. They had kids and then grand kids and probably passed on all their insane beliefs and we're still dealing with all that bullshit even today.

It's scary to think about what's been going on in the shadows of America the last 50 years. These people never went away they just stopped making it public.
Stuff like this is why I'll never ask a black person why they operate from a default distrust of white people. If my life could literally be at stake, I'd be pretty damn cautious/paranoid too. Still kills me though.

That conversation is all too real. My dad will say that BLM supports killing cops, with complete confidence. There's no rational discussion with people like that

Malyse

Edited the OT, that pic didn't really belong there or fit in the context of the others after the information shared by the other posters

It was asking how many people would want to do that to a BLM protester. It absolutely fit as an example of the almost cartoonish level of violence people would inflict during the Civil Rights movement. I'm putting it back. I'll add a disclaimer, but I'm putting it back.

It was asking how many people would want to do that to a BLM protester. It absolutely fit as an example of the almost cartoonish level of violence people would inflict during the Civil Rights movement. I'm putting it back. I'll add a disclaimer, but I'm putting it back.
They were helping though. Your comment, in the context of the thread and the other pictures, makes it seem they were laughing and hurting him

R0ckman

I had always wondered why they went after easy targets and realized that there were some cases that aren't really gone into much, where whites would go to terrorize a community of blacks and would not get out of their quest alive.

The interesting thing is that this is insanely barbaric and it seems like these whites are projecting themselves on blacks. I've never seen any raw evil like this in any other recent media. And it bothers me that its this psychotic kind of evil, it literally makes no sense. The fact that these whites are okay psychogically damaging their children from this; having them hear the screams and the evil energy. These people were truly messed up. One poster said these guys quickly blend back into the background, almost makes you think they were possesed or something. Though I've seen photos of some of these groups using black bodies in weird cultic rituals.

I don't know much about white theology in this time outside of their branded christianity, but how could they reason what they did was moral in anyway? If they believed in some kind of hell surely they felt they had their one way tickets firmly in hand.

Yep white people don't want to ask this question. They would have to acknowledge that these people blended back into society and passed down their hate. It's such a huge injustice it's hard to wrap your head around. Most other white people barely acknowledge any of this because it would break their fragile identities. Great OP

I'm a little disappointed the writer didn't actually try to find some of the people in these photos.

Or at least their children, if those folks are dead.

When my grandmother had Alzheimer's, she revealed that my grandfather was a racist who hated black people, but that was a complete surprise to my dad (my dad marched in Civil Rights protests). After Obama was elected, my mother-in-law reminisced about how happy she was when they killed MLK (she said he was "causing all that violence down South") and said she missed her days in the John Birch Society. We regularly dismiss racism from old people, particularly when it comes from family.

Yep white people don't want to ask this question. They would have to acknowledge that these people blended back into society and passed down their hate. It's such a huge injustice it's hard to wrap your head around. Most other white people barely acknowledge any of this because it would break their fragile identities. Great OP

Used to be on GAF that you could get someone who would defend their Southern family roots and Civil War heritage, but they were always quiet about slave-ownership.

One of the greatest tricks played by white supremacy: Delude people into believing that white supremacist anti-black racism isn't currently occuring. This delusion is actively and passively cast by both the political right, and left. Hence the focus on old black&white photos.

The idea that white supremacy only manifests itself in such overt ways is insulting to Black folk like me. This cartoon caricature of racism needs to be put to bed.

I don't suspect most people change much fundamentally over a lifetime. It's a little harrowing to know that all the people we see in photos smiling under corpses went back to their normal lives, went back to their jobs (policemen, politicians, teachers) and went back to voting and affecting the country.

On the other hand, the white woman in the middle of this photo of a sit-in is Joan Trumpauer Mulholland. I've met her, and she is without a doubt one of the most badass and admirable Civil Rights activists from that era.

She started sitting in @18

Arrested @19 as a Freedom Rider in Mississippi:

The same year she left Duke and transferred to a historically black college in the South. This is 1961 we're talking, to add emphasis.

And here she is, still at it at 75:

And now think of all the people her age who were pouring coffee on her head 50+ years ago who went out to vote for Trump and will do so again in 2020. We aren't going to reach these people by trying to have conversations with them. "What ever happened to those white folks from those old photos?" Take a glance at polling stations every two years. That's where they are.
Wow!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This reminds me of the late comedian Patrice O'Neal's thesis on why so much racial animosity still exists, using the analogy of the Holocaust. Nazis and their collaborators were hunted down and put on trial. But he'd look at photos of racist crimes where the perpetrators would have just blended back into society and raised families. So where does all that hatred go? It couldn't have just disappeared was the assertion, and so it's unsettling to think about where it went and still is.

Powerful thesis by Patrice. Whoa! Subconciously I've always felt the same way, but couldn't express it in words.

Like almost 400 years of the US government and it's people justifying and endorsing legalized rape, murder, kidnapping, extortion, and de-education is just going to go away after the 1964 Civil Rights bill is signed.

*sigh*

D i Z

I don't suspect most people change much fundamentally over a lifetime. It's a little harrowing to know that all the people we see in photos smiling under corpses went back to their normal lives, went back to their jobs (policemen, politicians, teachers) and went back to voting and affecting the country.

On the other hand, the white woman in the middle of this photo of a sit-in is Joan Trumpauer Mulholland. I've met her, and she is without a doubt one of the most badass and admirable Civil Rights activists from that era.

She started sitting in @18

Arrested @19 as a Freedom Rider in Mississippi:

The same year she left Duke and transferred to a historically black college in the South. This is 1961 we're talking, to add emphasis.

And here she is, still at it at 75:

And now think of all the people her age who were pouring coffee on her head 50+ years ago who went out to vote for Trump and will do so again in 2020. We aren't going to reach these people by trying to have conversations with them. "What ever happened to those white folks from those old photos?" Take a glance at polling stations every two years. That's where they are.

Never heard of her. Would definitely make the effort to know more about her now though.

mckmas8808

Horrible photos. I'd like to believe that we've come a long way since then, but recent events suggest we not only have a hell of a long way to go, but have actually taken steps backwards.

No we have not taken steps backwards. Please don't disrespect the lives of the people that went through that stuff so easily like that.

sibarraz

Banned
When I teach my students about this era I show them the pics of people bringing their families to the lynchings for picnics. They are shocked to see kids eating sandwiches and playing next to burning bodies.

They often ask me why would people bring kids to something like this. I tell them the answer is easy and the same as it is today.

To normalize it.

That's fucked up, I never would have thought that people were doing picnics with kids while lynching

lazygecko

The social dynamics behind ethnic hatred is something I view with morbid fascination. It's one of the most resilient and enduring traits of collective human behavior, and can survive under the surface across multiple generations even while social norms or laws forbid it. You often see this shit coming back in force after long term authoritarian regimes are toppled who tried to root it out, like the fall of the Soviet Union or the Arab Spring.

It really doesn't seem to be very well understood as a phenomenom to me. Is there any substantial research on it?

Alanood

3_Human-zoo.jpg

mckmas8808

The social dynamics behind ethnic hatred is something I view with morbid fascination. It's one of the most resilient and enduring traits of collective human behavior, and can survive under the surface across multiple generations even while social norms or laws forbid it. You often see this shit coming back in force after long term authoritarian regimes are toppled who tried to root it out, like the fall of the Soviet Union or the Arab Spring.

It really doesn't seem to be very well understood as a phenomenom to me. Is there any substantial research on it?

It's very understood. I know people have done plenty of research on it. But it's basic human dynamics. Some people hate and fear what they don't understand. This will always be a constant over many millennium.

But I do understand the interest that you have. I genuinely have the same level of interest in people that are bigots too. Today I talked to one of my co-workers about Trans people and how they need to go to the bathroom of their birthed gender.

I tried to explain to him that at the end of the day gender isn't a "black and white" switch. It's more of a spectrum. That there's grey areas. And if you are close enough to the medium of that grey area some people don't agree with their CIS gender (I think I'm using that right). He completely disagreed with me and said that trans people are just a bunch of sickos and need their heads examined.

After about 5 more minutes of talking to him (and discussing how all fetuses start off with the same private part development in the womb "something he never heard of before even though he has two kids") he at least agreed that it maybe more complicated than he first thought. That complete 10 minute conversation was so fascinating to me because it shows me how quick and easy it is to just dismiss someone's humanity if you never actually thought or cared about that group of certain people. And how easy it is to hate that group of people if you simply don't understand them.

sibarraz

Banned
Question, how could a black people be lynched? they have to do something outrageous for white people or they just attacked any bystander that happened to be black?

And why people was so free to harass black people? the governments pretended that they have a blind eye or laws protected those who lynched?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Question, how could a black people be lynched? they have to do something outrageous for white people or they just attacked any bystander that happened to be black?

And why people was so free to harass black people? the governments pretended that they have a blind eye or laws protected those who lynched?

How could someone black be lynched? Do they have to do something outrageous?

Yes.

Drinking from the same water fountain as whites. Sitting in a diner that posts no blacks allowed. Smiling at a white woman. Walking in a predominantly white neighborhood.

Laws don't mean anything if they're not enforced. When you have a large amount of people in power who feel that you're not really human if you're black, then well... the rest is easy.

mckmas8808

Mr Jones answered perfectly. The government sanctioned it by openly acting as if it wasn't happening. And in many cases helped these lynching happen.

Think the Nazis in Germany in the 30s and 40s to Jewish people. That's what it was like here for black people in America.

Faustek

How could someone black be lynched? Do they have to do something outrageous?

Yes.

Drinking from the same water fountain as whites. Sitting in a diner that posts no blacks allowed. Smiling at a white woman. Walking in a predominantly white neighborhood.

Laws don't mean anything if they're not enforced. When you have a large amount of people in power who feel that you're not really human if you're black, then well... the rest is easy.

You forgot existing... Haven't played killed by being black bingo in a while but I do remember it getting to ridiculous scenarios as just being seen.

And yes, never ever minimise the work of those before us. Their lives, literally, paved the way for the rest of us in the western world. Like it or not the United States of America is way more relevant both as a social construct and predecessor in so many fields of society that when you move the rest of us moves. We do not wish to move backwards or to a halt with you though. Those of us which can be called sane people anyway.

______

And people wonder why some of us are so tired of hearing that we need to "chill", to "relax", to "stop worrying" about what's happening, again and again, in society. This thread has just reminded me as to why I'm afraid about what's happening in Europe now, what has happened since what seems to be forever. Other than Germany WWII most of the other countries atrocities have been buried, forgotten or ignored and white people seem to prefer it that way.
Having that Fuck as the leader of the free world feeding the we're-not-really-Nazis here in Europe and giving them strength while everyone sticks their head in the sand when housing for refugees burn down, when lonely arrived refuge children commit suicide, when refuge women are still living as sex slaves, when sucking a dick and getting beaten daily is the norm for survival.
But oh so quick to show their faces whenever someone not white does something reprehensible and is apparently the defacto model for the rest of us. Oh dear Atlas if I could change burdens with you I would. This shit is never gets old.

Glix

Tales from my ass but from what I know many times it related to white women.

Like Tulsa. That would happen a lot.

The riot began over a Memorial Day weekend after a young black man was accused of raping a young white female elevator operator at a commercial building. After he was taken into custody, rumors raced through the black community that he was at risk of being lynched. A group of armed African-American men rushed to the police station where the young suspect was held and a white crowd had gathered, to prevent a lynching.

Again tales from my ass but it seems many times a white woman would either be just talking to or actually flirting with a black man, would get "caught" by someone, and then lie and say they were harrased.

These people never went away. They're still here, they're still waiting for the opportunity to be able to walk the streets beating the life out of minorities again.

D i Z

Google Emmett Till for the PG version of how this goes down (after much filtering).
You can learn about the white woman that sentenced him to torture and death with a lie. And it's one of many many examples.
The "law" enforcement agency of policing the populous in this country was put in place as a negro round-up, property reclamation, and removal force when slavery became illegal.

Those same police forces were made up of what would usually be militia men, and lower class whites that weren't "fortunate enough" to own slaves themselves, but resented a work force that took jobs that they didn't even want (sound familiar?)

They vandalize Emmett Till's memorial to this day because it reminds them of how horrible and ain't shit they are.

sorry for the late reply, but in regards to the how could lynching occur, the answer is, for being black. Sometimes, the answer was for helping someone who was black, but those cases were much more rare.

walking alone at night could get you lynched, walking with/talking to/looking at a white woman could get you lynched. any perceived disrespect toward a white man could get you lynched. any attempt at being "uppity" could get you lynched.

( apologies for spelling and grammar; rushing my post while I am on my break)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom