• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

N7.Angel

As in, with unmarked spoilers? Yeah, that'll be the OT that just opened.

Good thank you.

I post my quick impression without any spoiler, Movie is really good, it's a visual masterpiece, the soundtack is awesome and Villeneuve definitely nailed the universe, I'lm mixed about one or two things but overall, it's a success, can't wait for what's next.

The previous pages have me conflicted on whether to see it in imax or regular. I mean if regular has the better aspect ratio i don't mind saving the extra few bucks. I just had automatically pinned this as a must see in imax but now I'm not sure.

N7.Angel

The previous pages have me conflicted on whether to see it in imax or regular. I mean if regular has the better aspect ratio i don't mind saving the extra few bucks. I just had automatically pinned this as a must see in imax but now I'm not sure.

Imax easy, you'll get mind blown... but the regular version has definitely the best aspect ratio.

But if Deckard was a replicant he would not have been able to live all the way till 2049, since the Nexus 6 androids only have a 4-year lifespan. To me personally, he is human, but I do wonder how they would go about this if he were to be a replicant.

Information in the following is derived from the official 2022 Blackout anime prequel and from some of the pre-release reviews of the new film. Use caution.

It appears that some of the later replicants created by Tyrell corporation live longer. I believe this is mentioned in the introduction to the 2022 Blackout anime. According to information in some of the reviews, it is these longer-lived replicants who are hunted by replicants designed for the purpose, such as Agent K. If Deckard is a replicant he is presumably one of those later generation pre-blackout Tyrell designs, not a Nexus 6.

Information in the following is derived from the official 2022 Blackout anime prequel and from some of the pre-release reviews of the new film. Use caution.

It appears that some of the later replicants created by Tyrell corporation live longer. I believe this is mentioned in the introduction to the 2022 Blackout anime. According to information in some of the reviews, it is these longer-lived replicants who are hunted by replicants designed for the purpose, such as Agent K. If Deckard is a replicant he is presumably one of those later generation pre-blackout Tyrell designs, not a Nexus 6.

iirc Scott said Deck' is a Nexus 7. But then again, it's Scott :p

jamsy

Hey GAF, really interested in this but I've only seen Blade Runner once (the director's cut) like 10 years ago and don't remember much. Should I be watching the original movie prior to seeing 2049?

Ashhong

As the great unwashed are likely going to start seeing this today, I threw the OT up:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=250899941#post250899941

You should have put "SPOILERS" in the thread title.

Is Dolby Theater an option? If not, just go to IMAX. The screen size is worth it.

You should have put "SPOILERS" in the thread title.

Is Dolby Theater an option? If not, just go to IMAX. The screen size is worth it.

I just looked up the closest dolby theater to me is at least a half hour/ 40 minutes away, meanwhile i have a giant regal theater 5 minutes down the street from me with an imax.

Ashhong

I just looked up the closest dolby theater to me is at least a half hour/ 40 minutes away, meanwhile i have a giant regal theater 5 minutes down the street from me with an imax.

That's harder, because 30 minutes isn't that much. Is it a real IMAX too? Even though it wasn't filmed for IMAX, real > LIEmax. I'd watch it there and then Dolby if you want to watch a second time.

That's harder, because 30 minutes isn't that much. Is it a real IMAX too? Even though it wasn't filmed for IMAX, real > LIEmax. I'd watch it there and then Dolby if you want to watch a second time.

No it's a LIEmax, though there is a real imax that's also about 30 minutes away (different one than the dolby cinema). I'm gonna see it with my cousins, so I'll see which theater they want to go to.

Just go to the regular theater if you don't want to drive far. You at least get the proper composition, which is one of the most important aspects of cinematography.

Blader

I watched the anime short, Black Out 2022, the other day and thought it was kind of bad. It got a lot of praise for the animation, but was I the only one who thought it looked really ugly? The backgrounds were really nice, but the character models themselves were drawn pretty crudely.

FlyLo soundtrack was cool though

Shaanyboi

Banned
Hey GAF, really interested in this but I've only seen Blade Runner once (the director's cut) like 10 years ago and don't remember much. Should I be watching the original movie prior to seeing 2049?

I can't imagine they're demanding that people have seen a 35 year old sci-fi noir for their newest big budget film.

Gloam

This was very good. I was skeptical as to the merit of a sequel to a landmark picture like Blade Runner. Thinking on it 2049 seems like it's playing a game of call and response with the first film. It pays homage, and reinterprets sequences and events from the Blade Runner without feeling cheap or silly.

2049 succeeds on its own terms, it's its own thing, and all the better for it. The film plays with and takes the original film as a jumping off point for its narrative in the same way that the first film used PKD's novel. DV is really winning me over after not liking a lot of his prior work, this and Arrival were exceptional.

Ashhong

WHAT THE FUCK

I happened to check Fandango/AMC and I see that my showing tonight is no longer listed as a double feature, whereas my ticket specifically says it is. I called and they said it's only the original movie. What the fuck?!!

Man, I really want to watch it this weekend, but don't want to risk a potentially rowdy crowd expecting an action movie. Plus I don't know if my boyfriend has the patience for a 3 hour noir detective film. I just really wanna sit back and take in the film.

HariKari

Man, I really want to watch it this weekend, but don't want to risk a potentially rowdy crowd expecting an action movie. Plus I don't know if my boyfriend has the patience for a 3 hour noir detective film. I just really wanna sit back and take in the film.

If you go to a late showing with reserved seating, it should be fine. This is definitely not a comic book movie release.

JB1981

WHAT THE FUCK

I happened to check Fandango/AMC and I see that my showing tonight is no longer listed as a double feature, whereas my ticket specifically says it is. I called and they said it's only the original movie. What the fuck?!!

Think it just means that you paid for another showing like Thurs or Fri but there was never an actual back to back double feature

WHAT THE FUCK

The AMC theater I'm seeing it at temporarily showed the double feature last week on Fandango but it was corrected the next day.

Ashhong

Think it just means that you paid for another showing like Thurs or Fri but there was never an actual back to back double feature

No, I paid for a double feature and it was listed as 4 hours 41 minutes. Very upset. Didn't get any notifications from Fandango. If I didn't happen to look I would have been sitting there waiting for 2049 to come up with my thumb up my ass. God dammit.

No, I paid for a double feature and it was listed as 4 hours 41 minutes. Very upset. Didn't get any notifications from Fandango. If I didn't happen to look I would have been sitting there waiting for 2049 to come up with my thumb up my ass. God dammit.

Just wondering but how much did you pay for a ticket? I knew something was off when my theater was only charging like it was a single movie.

DLTQ4vSWsAAHDrE.jpg

Do the people at cinema sins know that movies existed before they watched them?

Oooo 4K also available to rent?

All it says is HD

WHAT THE FUCK

When I saw your post I did wonder, but because our profiles don't give away our locations I felt I had to assume you lived in one of the countries where 2049 is released today. I'm sorry I didn't query it. Unless you live in France or Belgium, you shouldn't ordinarily have been able to see the new film in a cinema. There are only a couple of film festivals where this has been shown before the major European release 2017/10/05, excepting the Los Angeles premiere on 10/03.

Yea it's the line Gaff asks Deckard at the end "But are you sure you are a man?" that was added in Director's cut then removed in Final cut.

I finally got to the end of the original international release. When Gaff shows up on the roof of the Bradbury Building in his fancy flying car, the dialogue goes:

Gaff: You've done a man's job, sir. I guess you're through, huh?"
Rick: Finished.
[Gaff throws something solid towards Rick (payment?) and starts to walk away on his cane. Then he turns back to address Rick.]
Gaff: It's too bad she won't live, but then again who does?

There's a small and probably insignificant coda to this. In the much-hated narrative as Rick and Rachael fly away north, Rick says:

"Gaff had been there and let her live. Four years, he figured. He was wrong. Tyrell had told me Rachael was special. No termination date. I didn't know how long we'd have together. Who does?"

That's how the version shown in cinemas in my country in 1982 ended.

I hope the Blu Ray for 2049 has an optional and obnoxiously obvious voiceover track that borders on parody of the original film’s Theatrical Cut.

BTM

Currently sitting in the theater to watch the original for the first time. Hopefully can catch 2049 this weekend

This might be open for debate but what is the definitive version of the first movie?

I haven't watched it over 20 years. Want to get caught up before checking this our at the weekend.

Ashhong

Just wondering but how much did you pay for a ticket? I knew something was off when my theater was only charging like it was a single movie.

I paid single movie ticket price. I thought that was weird too. However, there are theaters showing legit screenings tomorrow of the double feature, and they are also only charging a single ticket price.

Still going to go and see the original in Dolby today. Probably harass the theater manager and try to get free passes to book 2049 with. Just upset because I literally planned my whole week around this :(

I hope the Blu Ray for 2049 has an optional and obnoxiously obvious voiceover track that borders on parody of the original film’s Theatrical Cut.

If there isn't one, I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers willing to put one up on YouTube. The techniques for synchronising a commentary with an existing video, both being streamed, are simple and were being successfully used by the BBC up to the fourth series of Doctor Who at the beginning of the current decade. There would be no copyright issues for an original parody.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Stuckmans non spoiler review has raised my hype to unimaginable levels. I also had no idea as to this films runtime, to which Stuckman felt made the film feel like an epic.

As someone whos into still photography and always aspired to capturing that certain neon urban look, Deakins photography revs my creative engine.

I paid single movie ticket price. I thought that was weird too. However, there are theaters showing legit screenings tomorrow of the double feature, and they are also only charging a single ticket price.

Still going to go and see the original in Dolby today. Probably harass the theater manager and try to get free passes to book 2049 with. Just upset because I literally planned my whole week around this :(

A regal near me is doing the double feature tomorrow amd they're charging $30 total. Sucks about the confusion.

Just got out of the movie. Damn that thing flies by on the big screen.

Top Bottom