• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

- J - D -

In regards to the Village Voice review, so having a more focused story than the original is a negative as it pertains to BR only? How would a retread of Scott's BR slipperiness have made it stand apart from the original and be less adherent to its legacy? Then some other reviewer would only point out that flaw for its unoriginality.

The reviewer does concede that this sequel should stand on its own but does say that the way(s) 2049 references the original film makes viewing it from that standpoint difficult. A focused story is one thing (and not a negative thing) but you can still have that and maintain some of the elusiveness of the original without it coming off as overly reverent. Also, I think taking what the review actually said and re-labeling it as a "focused story" isn't entirely fair and doesn't take into consideration the whole of the criticism, which mentions a sense of the familiar with a string of sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters of years past and all the bad things that could imply.

But again, who knows, I haven't seen 2049 yet.

Ridley having to pass on directing 2049 himself and giving the reins over to Villeneuve was probably the best thing that could have ever happened to this movie.

No argument here. Covenant kinda sealed that book shut for me in regards to the idea of Scott ever taking the reigns on the BR property. Or Alien for that matter

This review lowered my expectations. The unorthodox story telling of the first movie is one of the reasons it was so special imo.

It's a damn shame Blade Runner 2049 seems to be more mainstream in that regard.
I feel like I watched a different Blade Runner yesterday. Yes, there was subtext and themes but how was the story and storytelling of Blade Runner unorthodox and “slippery”?

Now, thrusting the viewer into a story and having them play catch-up through dialogue and details is somewhat unorthodox but it’s a not-exactly-uncommon device in thrillers, and the core story and storytelling of Blade Runner was surprisingly straight forward and simple. I kind of loved how simple and small the story was. Very slice of life, just another day in this city. Deckard has to find and deal with some escaped Replicants, while those Replicants seek out a way to extend their lifespan.

It’s concise, simple, intimate, and aside from the scene with Tyrelll, feels insignificant against the larger scope of the world.

What are the “slippery” aspects people are talking about?

I feel like I watched a different Blade Runner yesterday. Yes, there was subtext and themes but how was the story and storytelling of Blade Runner unorthodox and ”slippery"?

Now, thrusting the viewer into a story and having them play catch-up through dialogue and details is somewhat unorthodox but not uncommon, and the core story and storytelling of Blade Runner was surprisingly straight forward and simple. I kind of loved how simple and small the story was. Very slice of life, just another day in this city. Deckard has to find and deal with some escaped Replicants, while those Replicants seek out a way to extend their lifespan.

It's concise, simple, intimate, and aside from the scene with Tyrelll, feels insignificant against the larger scope of the world.

What are the ”slippery" aspects people are talking about?

Did you watch the Director's Cut or the Final Cut?

The final cut makes a few very minor tweaks that start to reduce the ambiguity of the whole project. But I think some of these claims also come from people who don't watch that many noir films.

I don't need or want it to be a copy of the first one. However, I expect(ed) a more unique way of story telling. Not something similar to every major sci-fi Blockbuster out there.

Well, I haven’t seen it yet but I doubt Villeneuve has delivered something that banal or typical given his track record.

His decision to direct the film differently than Scott doesn’t automatically translate into some homogenized, artless pabulum.

Well, I haven’t seen it yet but I doubt Villeneuve has delivered something that banal or typical given his track record.

His decision to direct the film differently than Scott doesn’t automatically translate into some homogenized, artless pabulum.

It's like... am I the only one who read the Variety review where they called it closer to Tarkovsky than Scott?

- J - D -

The thing I'm getting is that Niander seems to be over the top. People who don't love the film talk about him feeling out of place and too monologue heavy.

Yeah this might hit the core of what I'm worried about. But again, maybe it won't be too distracting.

edit: But then again, Niander is played by Jared Leto. Hmmmmmm...

As this is a new thread and will undoubtedly have a wider readership than earlier threads on the same topic on this forum, here are links to three shorts commissioned by director Denis Villeneuve to bridge the gap between the 2019 of Blade Runner and the 2049 of this sequel.

The first is a 15-minute anime, and is set three years after the events of Blade Runner.

Black Out 2022:

https://youtu.be/rrZk9sSgRyQ

Did you spot Edward James Olmos reprising his role from Blade Runner?

The other two are live action shorts, much shorter than the anime, introducing major characters you'll see in the sequel.

2036: Nexus Dawn

https://youtu.be/UgsS3nhRRzQ

2048: Nowhere to Run

https://youtu.be/aZ9Os8cP_gg

I consider Blade Runner one of my very favorite films but honestly, I’m not understanding what about the original film was particularly unorthodox in terms of storytelling.
The structure of the film itself is incredibly orthodox and follows the three act script model tightly enough.

To be certain it contains plenty of brilliant artistic flourishes and enjoys scenes that are surrealistic in nature but the actual plot is very straightforward.

Which isn’t a bad thing by the way; simplicity often yields the greatest art.

- J - D -

As this is a new thread and will undoubtedly have a wider readership than earlier threads on the same topic on this forum, here are links to three shorts commissioned by director Denis Villeneuve to bridge the gap between the 2019 of Blade Runner and the 2049 of this sequel.

The first is a 15-minute anime, and is set three years after the events of a Blade Runner.

Black Out 2022:

The other two are live action shorts, much shorter than the anime, introducing major characters you'll see in the sequel.

Thanks! I knew there were shorts out there in the wild somewhere but it's nice having them all collected in one post here. :D

Childcare secured for the earliest possible matinee I could find in my city on Friday! My wife doesn't care about this nearly as much as I do, but MAN I am hyped!

It's like... am I the only one who read the Variety review where they called it closer to Tarkovsky than Scott?

To be honest, I’m only paying attention to the broad strokes of these reviews because I’m avoiding pretty much all spoilers.

My argument is predicated on the assumption that Villeneuve isn’t suddenly going to abandon his previous style and nuance when directing this sequel.

No argument here. Covenant kinda sealed that book shut for me in regards to the idea of Scott ever taking the reigns on the BR property. Or Alien for that matter

Even before Ridley did Prometheus and now Covenant, I thought it was a bad idea for him to revisit Blade Runner himself. Hell, until Villeneuve was announced to direct, I thought it was probably a bad idea for anyone to go and try their hand at it- which is rare for me, as I'm usually someone who tries to look at these sorts of things from a more optimistic perspective and think of ways that something can work.

But while I personally prefer Covenant over Prometheus, the former definitely sealed the deal for me that Ridley would be a bad pick to helm 2049. Covenant is a blockbuster horror-action film that thinks it's far smarter a film than it actually is, coming off as hilariously full of itself in the process.

That sense of Ridley stroking his own ego with the themes he's practically screaming to audiences via the narrative with David and the origins of the Xenomorphs in Covenant would undoubtedly be present in his take of 2049 and probably to a much more dramatic effect.

I was the guy who directly referred to that part of the Variety review in here in the first place. lol

But yeah, it's kinda frustrating, isn't it?

Z3M0G

The first is a 15-minute anime, and is set three years after the events of Blade Runner.

Black Out 2022:

Holy shit the Anime one is good... and feels important. Animatrix level stuff here.

Drahcir

The reviewer does concede that this sequel should stand on its own but does say that the way(s) 2049 references the original film makes viewing it from that standpoint difficult. A focused story is one thing (and not a negative thing) but you can still have that and maintain some of the elusiveness of the original without it coming off as overly reverent. Also, I think taking what the review actually said and re-labeling it as a "focused story" isn't entirely fair and doesn't take into consideration the whole of the criticism, which mentions a sense of the familiar with a string of sci-fi/fantasy blockbusters of years past and all the bad things that could imply.

But again, who knows, I haven't seen 2049 yet.

That was all I gathered from the two paragraphs in the review (trying to tip-toe around spoilers) that too bad it couldn't be less like typical run-of-the-mill sci-fi with a chase/quest narrative, which is a pretty harsh criticism. Scott's BR was that too, but maybe in a less obvious or linear way? I have no idea. We definitely need to see 2049 first to sort out the criticisms!

- J - D -

That was all I gathered from the two paragraphs in the review (trying to tip-toe around spoilers) that too bad it couldn't be less like typical run-of-the-mill sci-fi with a chase/quest narrative, which is a pretty harsh criticism. Scott's BR was that too, but maybe in a less obvious or linear way? I have no idea. We definitely need to see 2049 first to sort out the criticisms!

Yeah I can't really say anything else about that either until we all actually see it. It's gonna be a long week!

Jarmel

Banned
The two most common criticisms I'm seeing are related to the script. The first is Niander clashes with the tone of the movie. He delivers lot of philosophical lines and monologue. Everybody else seems to be more lowkey. The second is that some plot points might not make sense. Some reviewers seem unsure so it might be arguable.

The OST appears to be fine at best but doesn't enhance the film.

Seeing it be called more of a chase movie compared to the languid super moody sci fi noir of the original is a bit disappointing. But that's to be expected now anyways and plus the trailers were already gearing us up for some of that

Glad to hear it's apparently pretty great though.

Edit: well only one review said it really. Pretty hyped for this one.

Window

The two most common criticisms I'm seeing are related to the script. The first is Niander clashes with the tone of the movie. He delivers lot of philosophical lines and monologue. Everybody else seems to be more lowkey. The second is that some plot points might not make sense. Some reviewers seem unsure so it might be arguable.

The OST appears to be fine at best but doesn't enhance the film.
Yeah that was a concern I had earlier which I brought up in one of the trailer threads. Feels like they're trying to channel Tyrell but it just doesn't feel the same. Tyrell's philosophical proclamations reveal his arrogance but also his sincere belief in his accomplishments which simultaneously gives credibility and undercuts what he says.

Seeing it be called more of a chase movie compared to the languid super moody sci fi noir of the original is a bit disappointing. But that's to be expected now anyways and plus the trailers were already gearing us up for some of that

Glad to hear it's apparently pretty great though.

Edit: well only one review said it really. Pretty hyped for this one.

Even if it is a chase movie, I appreciate it being different/trying something new instead of just being the first film again.

I appreciate Villenueve's love of risk-taking.

What's with some of these reviews containing spoilers? Like, christ critics, be respectful of your readers and write around major plot points or be vague as possible.

Besides that, I'm excited to read the positive reviews. My dad will especially be happy since he's a major BR fan.

What's with some of these reviews containing spoilers? Like, christ critics, be respectful of your readers and write around major plot points or be vague as possible.

Besides that, I'm excited to read the positive reviews. My dad will especially be happy since he's a major BR fan.
There’s one in particular that seems like a part of the general premise of the movie rather than being some crucial twist or major plot reveal, making it kind of hard to talk about the movie without mentioning it

What's with some of these reviews containing spoilers?

There may be some ambiguity about the meaning of the term "spoiler." It is never used consistently. If people are reading detailed reviews when alternatives like Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes are available to summarise the consensus of critics, there is a high likelihood that they will read a lot of detailed information about the film. "A piece of information I would rather not know" seems to be what most people mean by the term "spoiler."

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Scott Mendelson gave the same score to the emoji movie

he also gave the dark tower a "6.19/10" lol wtf

De_Legend

Banned
Excellent, mon boy Denis!

I didn't know that Craig wanted him to be the director for the next James Bond tho, could he put Dune on hold and make James Bond? Cause he surely can't do both right now.

Pretty cool that Bond is a property that both Nolan and Villeneuve will eventually be interested in making

I don't know if either of them gets Craig's last movie but one things for sure the next bond actor gonna have some dope shit lined up for him

Pachimari

It’s been a few years since I last watched Blade Runner but I’m currently one hour into the Final Cut, and even if I am understanding the general plot much better, I have a little harder time following the detective work going on. Can someone explain this to me:

Deckard is in possession of a photo (I didn’t pay enough attention to where he got it from, was it from the replicant girl who visited him earlier?) but what is it he sees when he zooms all the way in on a lady’s chin in the mirror? Is it a snake tattoo connecting the stripper he eventually finds with the stripper club he pays a visit?

It’s been a few years since I last watched Blade Runner but I’m currently one hour into the Final Cut, and even if I am understanding the general plot much better, I have a little harder time following the detective work going on. Can someone explain this to me:

Deckard is in possession of a photo (I didn’t pay enough attention to where he got it from, was it from the replicant girl who visited him earlier?) but what is it he sees when he zooms all the way in on a lady’s chin in the mirror? Is it a snake tattoo connecting the stripper he eventually finds with the stripper club he pays a visit?

He finds the photo at Leon's Apartment just like the scale. When he zooms in he sees Zhora was in Leon's apartment. He has no idea where Leon is at that point and though the scale was his. There isn't a snake tattoo. He doesn't even know the scale is from a snake, he thought it was from a fish. Then he figures the scale will lead him to her so he tracks down who made the snake.

Fun fact, similar thing was used in Black Rain with the sequin from the dress.

Top Bottom