• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049: Ridley Scott insists Deckard is a Replicant, Villeneuve am cry

gabbo

So if Deckard is a replicant, what did he get? He's not strong, he doesn't seem to be particularly bright, his skill with the gun is not particularly notable, he not a good pilot.

His task would be being able to pass the voight kampff test, but also had some deductive skills thrown in for good measure. At best. If he is a replicant, someone went way. way out of their way to make him absolutely average and unremarkable

Kadayi

Banned
I am disagreeing with you that there is any contextual evidence that shows what generation Deckard is, or what sort of "experiment" Rachel is beyond having artificial memories. Deckard getting his ass kicked doesn't mean he's some old precursor model that can't hang with Nexus 6. He's taking a beating from replicants designed for hard manual labor/military action which would likely kill a human. A replicant whose artificial origins are hidden from itself would not have obviously inhuman attributes. Rachel doesn't have super strength, it isn't a by-product of the process. The Nexus 6 line is obviously borked, maybe Deckard is a newer generation.

Given the Nexus 6 are the latest and greatest according to Both Bryant and Tyrell, how is it that Deckard according to you a newer model within the context of the film? How is this revelation revealed to the audience exactly?

Did you even test this hypothesis before typing it?

It's all very well to say 'maybe' but to quote the Late Douglas Adams: -

”All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."

The notion that Deckard is somehow a newer model, doesn't hold up to even a cursory level of scrutiny.

I don't think Deckard is Gaff, though I think it is an interesting fan theory, but like your own suppositions about what generation of replicant Deckard is or what the purpose of Rachel is, they are theories not revealed in the film, but imagined by the audience.

Please, you're going to have to do better than throw out 'suppositions' to rile me. I've provided plenty of rationale to my proposals based on what is shown and said in the film itself. So the notion that these are somehow abstract whimsies, devoid of reason is pretty dismal trolling.

We agree that Gaff knows Deckard is a replicant, yes? So I assume we both say Bryant knows as well. I'm saying in a film with a (literally) unreliable narrator/protagonist like Deckard, we can't accept that any of the interactions with characters who know what he is are what they seem at face value. How long has Deckard been on the force, especially to be so burnt out? He didn't start as a rookie and work his way up. He's designed as a replicant-killer from the start and his memories are false. There's nothing that says he's the best Blade Runner ever except the words of a cop who knows he's talking to an android with implanted memories. That's why I brought up Angel Heart.
Louis Cypher knows Harry Angel is Johnny Favorite when he hires him.
Bryant already knows Deckard isn't human, anything he tells him could be a lie.

Certainly, we know Gaff knows Deckard is a replicant, but beyond that, there isn't anything you've said that I'd see a strong case for. I don't get the impression in the film that Bryant knows Deckard is a replicant, and there's nothing in the film to support this unreliable protagonist angle that you keep going for, because as brought up in my last post there is no denouement/reveal within the frame, unlike Angel Heart etc

The theatrical release isn't canon. This has already been covered, so beating the drum about that is pointless. The film existed without it, but it was foisted on Scott by the Studio execs. It has no bearing on the final cut, or how that should be interpreted.

Top Bottom