• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' trailer #4

Jared Leto. Oh no. Why.

The hell out of here with this nonsense. Dude co-stars in a poorly received film/role (as pretty shit interpretation of the joker) and now he is regarded as being a bad/mediocre actor? ...smh.

This is the " Oh shit the movie is an art piece like the original and we need to at least break even with this movie" trailer...

It reminds me of the shitty box art cover Bioshock Infinite got to cater to the dude-bro stereotypes..

I'm confident Villeneuve will make the IP justice. It will be a slow ass , methodical, production design and photography driven movie. Pure cyberpunk-noir... and the runtime rumor seems to click with that notion..

That's exactly what I thought watching this trailer. It's cheap tactic but I guess it would gain an audience with those who otherwise wouldn't not go see this film. Whether they like it or not... eh. (wishful thinking)

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
It may not be what everyone is hoping for, but Villenueve has given people no reason to believe that it won't at least be a great movie. All that guy makes are awesome movies.

New poster and TV spots:
dh9qvgauqaazana-jpg-large.jpg

FFS lay off the orange and blue posters.

Rixxan

This is the " Oh shit the movie is an art piece like the original and we need to at least break even with this movie" trailer...

It reminds me of the shitty box art cover Bioshock Infinite got to cater to the dude-bro stereotypes..

I'm confident Villeneuve will make the IP justice. It will be a slow ass , methodical, production design and photography driven movie. Pure cyberpunk-noir... and the runtime rumor seems to click with that notion..

I hope you're right

I'm holding faith

Visually I think the movie is looking better than it did in the early trailers, they're doing some good work with the color grading.

Upgrade me from cautiously optimistic to optimistic.

Marketing got pretty bad for this movie lately. But I get that something of this budget and scale wants to market to everyone. General public can tend to have some pretty bland taste, this movie needs all the help it can get to make some money

Never really thought villeneuve was capable of surpassing the original but I still have faith that he can make a worthy sequel

Except Enemy.

Thought that was better than Arrival tbh

JB1981

So this is going to be an action epic huh? At that runtime it's going to be way more narrative driven than the original.

Ashhong

Didn't a GAFer in the last trailer have first hand knowledge and say that these trailers are intentionally misleading because the actual film is pretty slow and non-action? People need to stop believing trailers and judging the movie on it, as backwards as that sounds lol.

People need to stop believing trailers and judging the movie on it, as backwards as that sounds lol.

Not judging the movie based on 2 minutes of commercials isn't backwards at all.

What's backwards are people watching advertisements as if they're intended to be summaries or replacements for the full filmgoing experience.

Which is why you end up with so many people like "They spoiled the whole movie in the trailer!"

1) you can't possibly know that because you haven't watched the movie yet
2) There's no way you can spoil 2 hours of visual storytelling with 2 minutes of out-of-context imagery/noises
3) watching trailers as if they're a puzzle you can unlock that solves the movie for you before you watch is misguided as hell.

Ashhong

Not judging the movie based on 2 minutes of commercials isn't backwards at all.

What's backwards are people watching advertisements as if they're intended to be summaries or replacements for the full filmgoing experience.

Which is why you end up with so many people like "They spoiled the whole movie in the trailer!"

1) you can't possibly know that because you haven't watched the movie yet
2) There's no way you can spoil 2 hours of visual storytelling with 2 minutes of out-of-context imagery/noises
3) watching trailers as if they're a puzzle you can unlock that solves the movie for you before you watch is misguided as hell.

Well, I personally would expect the trailer to at least be indicative of the tone or the 'style' of the movie, which is what I meant with my comment. But it seems like that isn't even the case anymore. I can't speak for the spoiler talk because I don't have that problem myself.

Well, I personally would expect the trailer to at least be indicative of the tone or the 'style' of the movie, which is what I meant with my comment.

The ideal is that they should be honest about what kind of movie you're getting, yeah! But the ideal sometimes doesn't lend itself to good advertising, so you end up defaulting to the ultimate aim of a commercial: Get asses in seats.

That's where shit starts to feel facetious.

It kinda happened with the first Blade Runner, too.

louiedog

The hell out of here with this nonsense. Dude co-stars in a poorly received film/role (as pretty shit interpretation of the joker) and now he is regarded as being a bad/mediocre actor? ...smh.

Or maybe people are just sick of his face after years of him acting like an ass at every opportunity.

Ashhong

The ideal is that they should be honest about what kind of movie you're getting, yeah! But the ideal sometimes doesn't lend itself to good advertising, so you end up defaulting to the ultimate aim of a commercial: Get asses in seats.

That's where shit starts to feel facetious.

It kinda happened with the first Blade Runner, too.

Yup, the sooner people realize this the sooner they can stop complaining.

Hopefully.

Though, I don't understand why people are hating on these trailers so much. I think they all look amazing. Then again, good cinematography usually makes me blind to other criticisms.

Drahcir

I kind of wonder what the general consensus was when people that loved Alien saw Aliens in 1986. :) I'm just hoping for the best, but it's Villeneuve after all.

Get'sMad

whoof those posters are bad

I really just need to go dark on this until release....obviously a trailer isn't going to be totally indicative of how good or bad the movie is but the more and more of it that gets revealed the less and less I like what I'm seeing

JoeMartin

Losing more and more hope for anything resembling a spiritual successor with each trailer. Doesn't look like it's enterprising to be a contribution to film at all.

At this rate if it ends up being anything more than a pressed and plastered hollywood schlockfest I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ashhong

Losing more and more hope for anything resembling a spiritual successor with each trailer. Doesn't look like it's enterprising to be a contribution to film at all.

At this rate if it ends up being anything more than a pressed and plastered hollywood schlockfest I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Have you ever seen a Villeniweuueve movie?

Haines

Banned
To those saying this is gunna bomb

Didnt the first movie bomb?

Anyways, im trying to watch the original for the 5th time now and do not get the praise.

III-V

Anyways, im trying to watch the original for the 5th time now and do not get the praise.

C'mon now Haines, whats the OG?

Are you talking 2007 Final Cut release? Cause there is nothing more fine.

Get'sMad

yes but everything about the first one, its production and release was such a time and place movie that I don't think you can remotely compare this one potentially bombing on its release to the OG

and most of us who are huge fans of the original don't care about the box office for this...just want it to be a great film.

Haines

Banned
C'mon now Haines, whats the OG?

Are you talking 2007 Final Cut release? Cause there is nothing more fine.

Final cut. Bought it on bluray when it came out.

Fell asleep 4 times trying to watch it.

Forcing myself through it now and i cant follow the plot, or care to.

The city visuals are nice. The misic is nice, im not getting into anything else tho.

Maybe, im just missing the hook or something.

I want to love the movie like everyone else, but every time its on my tv i want to go to sleep,

I want to love the movie like everyone else, but every time its on my tv i want to go to sleep,

Nah. it doesn't work for everyone. Hell, it doesn't work for most people I've known.

Looks like it just doesn't work for you.

Maybe this one will work better, who knows.

Final cut. Bought it on bluray when it came out.

Fell asleep 4 times trying to watch it.

Forcing myself through it now and i cant follow the plot, or care to.

The city visuals are nice. The misic is nice, im not getting into anything else tho.

Maybe, im just missing the hook or something.

Blade Runner is a fairly divisive movie. It remains hugely influential, no doubt, but about half the discussion I've read about it online is how boring and empty the movie is. It's ok if you don't like it.

III-V

Blade Runner is a fairly divisive movie. It remains hugely influential, no doubt, but about half the discussion I've read about it online is how boring and empty the movie is. It's ok if you don't like it.

If you don't like dystopian sci-fi fine, but I just can't get the boring and empty part. Like what are you looking for? Everything that makes a film or a different but believable world is there in spades.

This movie is art. It is a masterwork.

Haines

Banned

Yeah, i think i can appreciate both sides.

On one hand, i absolutely adored any of the outdoor sets, the rain, the sound, the music ,how it all combined.

But i just didnt give a fuck about the rest.

I plan on watching it again now that i have seen the extent of the story, to see if that maybe changes how much i enjoy it.

I actually wNt to see its sequel in theatres, oddly enough,

III-V

Yeah, i think i can appreciate both sides.

On one hand, i absolutely adored any of the outdoor sets, the rain, the sound, the music ,how it all combined.

But i just didnt give a fuck about the rest.

I plan on watching it again now that i have seen the extent of the story, to see if that maybe changes how much i enjoy it.

I actually wNt to see its sequel in theatres, oddly enough,

The film does work best on the "big screen" so if you get a chance to see a re-play in theatres check it out for sure.

Kibbles

Or maybe people are just sick of his face after years of him acting like an ass at every opportunity.
Way to pull shit out of your ass. Everyone has talked well of him over the years working with him.

Also, just the other day:

VAG5loM.jpg

https://heroichollywood.com/jared-leto-playing-joker-suicide-squad/

“No… There’s so much hype and ******** about [what happened with Suicide Squad], but I think it’s just a fun thing to talk about. Even when the movie came out, there was so much misrepresentation about what went down, about the ‘method acting’ crap – it’s just that 90% of it wasn’t true, and you can’t even… It takes on a life of its own. It was an incredible experience, everybody was amazing. Margot Robbie [is] one of the nicest people – one of the best actresses I’ve ever worked with, and I really loved working with her. I thought the scenes of what we did together were some of the most fun I’ve ever had on a set before… Everything’s great in that world, and I’m really proud to be a part of it.”

Top Bottom