• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Legally Opposes Valve Trademark Over DOTA Name [Up: Trial Schedule]

Levito

Banned
you do realize Blizzard stole everything in the wow universe from the warhammer books/board games right?

Just like 95% of modern fantasy fiction steals from Tolkien? And Tolkien stole from pagan mythology?

SIMPSONS DID IT! SIMPSONS DID IT!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
you do realize Blizzard stole everything in the wow universe from the warhammer books/board games right?

I know that, im saying that't what this issue is about. Blizzard is trying to stop the name from being trademarked...not the actual idea. Blizzard trademarked World Of Warcraft, an Warcraft. They never tried to trademark Warhammer.

I fully support this.

DOTA's success stems from WarCraft III and has been associated with that community for years. The fact that Valve had the gall the just take the name and throw a 2 on the end has pissed me off to no end ever since they announced it.

Valve usually does just about everything right, but this is one of their severe missteps. If League of Legends can flourish with a different name, so can their knock-off.

Aesthet1c

This isn't going to happen.

Blizzard even stated they don't own Dota and that it should belong to the people. Valve picked it up and decided to make something with it. Whether that was morally correct is subjective, but legally, they didn't do anything wrong.

MsTcd.jpg

Yep. I have a feeling this is everyone at Valve.

Belgorim

12 pages in and people still think Blizzard is suing Valve, or that trademarks have anything to do with assets of the game, or that Blizzard didn't "support" Dota (even though they heavily promoted Dota tournaments at Blizzcon since 2005). Of course participating in these threads is a waste of time. And now I just wasted mine.

Pretty much this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I posted too soon (without fully reading into this) and said something stupid!

If Blizzard is just against Valve claiming the DOTA trademark (and aren't necessarily trying to claim it for their own use), then I'm fine with what they're doing!

shouldnt Games Workshop sue Blizzard for stealing Warhammer and using it in WOW, then?

They did and won, i would think GAF would be old enough to have remember all that from PCGamer's glory days. They sued for Starcraft and Warcraft, Blizzard in turn settled and licensed with Games Workshop.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I posted too soon (without fully reading into this) and said something stupid!

If Blizzard is just against Valve claiming the DOTA trademark (and aren't necessarily trying to claim it for their own use), then I'm fine with what they're doing!

Blizzards game is called Blizzard DOTA

Do any law types in here actually think they have a case?

It's slim, yet possible, that a brief can be made showing that somewhere in Blizzard's TOA for Warcraft 3 there is language that supports their case.

I think that one purpose of this is in which Blizzard examines their possibility of being a forthcoming appellant. But it could be possible that Blizzard simply wants to create a precedent for later similar cases based on discoveries in this one. Maybe Blizzard feels that they need to do this so that they know their limits (ie. a forthcoming game titled DoTA or similar and they want to mitigate confusion).

This isn't going to happen.

Blizzard even stated they don't own Dota and that it should belong to the people. Valve picked it up and decided to make something with it. Whether that was morally correct is subjective, but legally, they didn't do anything wrong.

Didn't someone post that Riot Games trademarked DotA and sold it to Blizzard?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzards game is called Blizzard DOTA

Are they going to try and trademark DOTA? Or are they just going to trademark the title "Blizzard DOTA"?

It seems like Blizzard is trying to get DOTA recognized as a genre like RPG and not a trademarked game name.

Isn't this all first the result that there is the technicality that you must defend a trademark, or else you have abandoned it?

This isn't actually Blizzard trying to stop Valve but rather keep it from being exclusive to Valve.

V_Arnold

I love both Blizzard and (to a lesser extent) Valve but this does not interest me. They can have all MOBA games to themselves, whoever wins this. SCII fo life, yo!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So has anyone explained how this situation is logically different from Unknown Worlds taking the Natural Selection mod, trademarking Natural Selection 2 and selling it?

Do they not have the right to do it because the original game was on Valve's Half-Life engine?

TheExodu5

Banned
At any rate, Activision Blizzard probably has a well-paid legal department; they likely wouldn't even attempt this, if they didn't already know they had at least a decent chance of winning. Court can be expensive, after all.

This isn't court. They're filing a dispute against Valve's trademark application. It barely costs them anything to do this. This isn't going to court.

So has anyone explained how this situation is logically different from Unknown Worlds taking the Natural Selection mod, trademarking Natural Selection 2 and selling it?

Do they not have the right to do it because the original game was on Valve's Half-Life engine?

No difference that I know of.

Nome

This isn't court. They're filing a dispute against Valve's trademark application. It barely costs them anything to do this. This isn't going to court.

No difference that I know of.
Main difference being that Valve isn't making their own Natural Selection, probably :p

Sheesh, I know it's the internet but people shouldn't be trying so hard to find a bad guy in all this, I'm not sure that there really is one.

Valve saw that people were already using the acronym DOTA in relation to commercial MOBA products, so they trademarked it to preemptively protect themselves should someone else do it down the line. Blizzard, one of the companies which openly uses the acronym, are now concerned that Valve will prevent them from using it if they win the trademark so they're opposing it.

It's actually just rather boring legal posturing, I'm not sure it warrants many of the more... passionate responses in this thread.

RoyalFool

Banned
I'm surprised Blizzard don't just copyright half-life, after all - don't you have to prove your still using something in order to keep the copyright.

I hope they can counter sue for damages.

Brand Damage
Good Will (mistreatment)
Time
Finances for the lawsuit, and potential (if slightly exaggerated) delays this could cause the game.

I really hope they can get $$$ from Blizzard. It's that big corporate bulling comes at a price!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm surprised Blizzard don't just copyright half-life, after all - don't you have to prove your still using something in order to keep the copyright.

This has nothing to do with copyrights, and even if it did, you don't have to prove you're still using something in order to keep it.

Copyrights and trademarks are not the same thing, kids. I'm not making this up.

Danny Dudekisser

I hope they can counter sue for damages.

Brand Damage
Good Will (mistreatment)
Time
Finances for the lawsuit, and potential (if slightly exaggerated) delays this could cause the game.

I really hope they can get $$$ from Blizzard. It's that big corporate bulling comes at a price!

Well, none of that is going to happen.

idolminds

Neo Member

Nah, Blizzard should make a cartoony team-based multiplayer FPS/hat simulator and trademark the name "TF3". No one would have a problem with that, I bet.

This has nothing to do with copyrights, and even if it did, you don't have to prove you're still using something in order to keep it.

Copyrights and trademarks are not the same thing, kids. I'm not making this up.

No don't you get it? That was a serious post and not another lame parroting of the Reddit meme about Episode 3 taking a long time.

RoyalFool

Banned
Sorry - was a bad joke. Legally I'd have thought the name belongs to the original creator, rather than the platform on which he distributed his title. It seems like a dick move trying to take control of something they didn't create - at least Valve gave the guy a job and dev team.

You have to be really gullible and naive to think Blizzard wants the name for the community only, especially when you consider everything they have been doing after the whole Activision partnership.

Danny Dudekisser

Sorry - was a bad joke. Legally I'd have thought the name belongs to the original creator, rather than the platform on which he distributed his title. It seems like a dick move trying to take control of something they didn't create - at least Valve gave the guy a job and dev team.

I see.... I probably would've picked up on it if there weren't so many people who have no clue what they're talking about in here :(

You have to be really gullible and naive to think Blizzard wants the name for the community only, especially when you consider everything they have been doing after the whole Activision partnership.

They want it to be unfettered legally so that they don't get into trouble for using it in the future, that's all. If they manage to have the application rejected and then make one of their own, well then we can start talking about what a pack of evil bastards they are, but until then let's try to inject some common-sense into the discussion.

Blizzard is going to crush them.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't care for either company particularly. That's just what's going to happen. This makes total sense:

In contrast to Blizzard, Applicant Valve Corporation ("Valve") has never
used the mark DOTA in connection with any product or service that currently is available
to the public. By attempting to register the mark DOTA, Valve seeks to appropriate the
more than seven years of goodwill that Blizzard has developed in the mark DOTA and in
its Warcraft III computer game and take for itself a name that has come to signify the
product of years of time and energy expended by Blizzard and by fans of Warcraft III.
Valve has no right to the registration it seeks. If such registration is issued, it not only
will damage Blizzard, but also the legions of Blizzard fans that have worked for years
with Blizzard and its products, including by causing consumers to falsely believe that
Valve's products are affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by Blizzard and are related or
connected to Warcraft III.

Valve may lose this case. If the court buys that "DOTA" is descriptive of a kind of game (almost like a genre unto itself), Valve will have a hard time showing the acronym has acquired a secondary meaning tying it specifically to Valve when the same acronym was (and is, correct?) in use for the earlier game.

BeesEight

I can't help but feel that Blizzard challenging the copyright with the terms and uses of the EULA creates a chilling warning to any modders looking at using their tools in the future. Why would you create all these assets for your community to create their own content then turn around and claim all their work belongs to you without them having any say?

Wasn't Blizzard DOTA suppose to just be an example of what you could create with their tools? It seems more like an example of what they'll do with your concepts if you create something successful with it.

Sciz

Nah, Blizzard should make a cartoony team-based multiplayer FPS/hat simulator and trademark the name "TF3". No one would have a problem with that, I bet.

Not quite the same. Valve already has a trademark for "Team Fortress", a product they've been working on various iterations of for over a decade. Blizzard does not have one for "Defense of the Ancients", a product they have never actively worked on until the very recent Blizzard DOTA.

They want it to be unfettered legally so that they don't get into trouble for using it in the future, that's all. If they manage to have the application rejected and then make one of their own, well then we can start talking about what a pack of evil bastards they are, but until then let's try to inject some common-sense into the discussion.

But they've got a pending trademark for "Defense of the Ancients", and they're opposing Valve's claim to "DOTA" on the grounds that the IP is rightfully theirs. If their counter-claim goes through and they don't go through with their own trademark, what does that say about their case against Valve?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

I'm sure Valve is only making Dota 2 and trademarking out of kindness to the community.

kingslunk

Blizzard is going to crush them.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't care for either company particularly. That's just what's going to happen. This makes total sense:

Because you need Warcraft 3 to play the original DOTA, Blizzard owns the trademark for the name of the game that they didn't even come up with?

Man WHAT?

also
fuck bobby kotick.

Top Bottom