• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Press Preview Impressions (16/03/2015)

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Wow these are some great impressions. Never played any of the Souls games so this will be my first foray. Like what I'm hearing so far!

Same here, I'm probably just getting dragged onto that hype train, because I have never played the Souls series, but I just get that must-have vibe from Bloodborne. Or it might just be Neogaf :)

Combat is a touch faster than it is in the Souls games, but the basics are the same: lock on to the enemy of your choosing, avoid damage by jumping backwards or rolling to the side, and attack when you see an opening. Stamina management is all-important, and there are overhead smash and charge-up moves alongside the usual medium and heavy swings. Transforming your weapon does allow for extra range, and I imagine skilled players will thread transformations through long combos to keep enemies in reach.

Now that sounds pretty exciting. I think this game might be unavoidable =p.

NateDrake

Um, didn't Uncharted 2 get GOTY?

Uncharted 2 was also released later in the year and fresh on the minds of everyone. Releases in the early half of the year are often forgotten by the time outlets vote and this year has some major releases coming in the second half - MGSV and Zelda Wii U.

Also tlou

Not to mention Journey

Yup, those games have already rendered that guy's argument groundless.

On topic again, I'd say that this is the new defensive reaction that we will need to adopt for Bloodborne:

AFnarfL.gif

Any time something surprises you, you absolutely have to strike back to regain your health.

Uncharted 2 was also released later in the year and fresh on the minds of everyone. Releases in the early half of the year are often forgotten by the time outlets vote and this year has some major releases coming in the second half - MGSV and Zelda Wii U.

that's a fair point. i think this very thing hurt portal 2 quite a bit

that's a fair point. i think this very thing hurt portal 2 quite a bit

What hurt Portal 2 is that it was released in the same year as Skyrim.

Bloodborne will likely be in the same boat as the Souls game. A game that a lot of people love, but others can't get into because it's very unforgiving. It'll never be a Skyrim for the media because it's looking to kick your teeth in at every turn.

Some drag their scythes along on the ground behind them as they patrol, filling the air with a horrible scraping sound as they screech across the cobblestones.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

That sounds like some next level Mind Flayer shit

Demon Ice

Banned
All these positive previews, my hype for this game cannot be expressed in words, but I have a medicine exam right around when it releases D:

From the Kotaku preview

I’ve played a bit of Bloodborne. Not as much as I could have, because I don’t want my experience of it to be the weird, isolated experience of playing a game before its release, when the servers are empty and the code has strange wrinkles

So he just lightly previewed the title.

I want to play Bloodborne like I played Demon’s Souls six years ago after I picked it up in a Japanese game store with no idea what it was. I want to discover it alongside a secret community of fellow players around the world, helping each other out. Not in an office somewhere, fumbling through pre-release code on my own.

Loving the quotes within the article. Like how the Souls series is more about death ( hence the Souls name ), but Bloodborne is more about killing ( hence the Blood name ). And how this shift is caused by the combat of the game and how it gave the previewer a real bloodlust while fighting.

NateDrake

Didn't stop Mass Effect 2 or The Last of Us from winning some GOTY awards. But I do think that you need a very big impact if you come out earlier in the year..

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but neither of those games are appealing to as niche of a crowd as Bloodborne will be. Regardless, some outlets may name Bloodborne their GotY if it is truly amazing.

Late Flag

The important thing is that I fully expect Bloodborne to be my GOTY. I'm coming into this with pretty high expectations, but that's not unreasonable given From's track record.

Same here, I'm probably just getting dragged onto that hype train, because I have never played the Souls series, but I just get that must-have vibe from Bloodborne. Or it might just be Neogaf :)

Same here i've never played a Souls game.

However everything i'm reading on gaf is edging me closer to hitting that preorder button.

Amused

NZGamer

It’s difficult to call a game like Bloodborne beautiful, but the presentation lends the environments a great deal of verisimilitude. The game takes place in the city of Yharnam – a town where Victorian and Gothic architecture collided to form narrow streets, and buildings composed of grey, lifeless stone. One word describes it perfectly: oppressive.

From the suffocating geometry, to the shambling residents and rabid dogs who want your blood, it all manages to get under your skin – leaving you feeling incredibly vulnerable. The faceless NPCs (who were boarded up in their houses) also did very little to assuage my fears, with their off kilter dialogue and the distant, dreamlike quality of their voices.

Dualshockers is banned, right?

in spite my short time with the game, there's no doubt in my mind that Bloodborne will be the first truly great PlayStation 4 exclusive. The question is whether it will be Dark Souls II great or Dark Souls/Demon's Souls really great.

Its previews like this which may force a preorder

These impressions are literally glowing. The only issues i can see reviewers bugging bloodborne down for is

-Frame rate (even though people who got the game early claims it doesn't have many drops)

- some camera issues (which have plagued the souls sereis dince the beginning)

Damn so stoked.

Yonafunu

It really looks like, with the more offensive and active combat, Bloodborne will be actually difficult, moreso than Dark Souls (and I assume Demon's Souls as well) which is more tedious than really challenging.

Gurish

TLoU released in June and had GTAV coming out in September afterwards, and still it kicked everybody's ass :)

Top Bottom