• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection coming west on PS4 and PC Sept 26

YES!

Was hoping for this news eventually. Game looks gorgeous.
Love this guy's artwork.

thats what im not expecting, since they skip on nights of azure. They seem to only bother with atelier now and are getting lazy there too

Yeah. That's a shame too, this game looks beautiful, they should go all-in with it and give it a dub.

Not seeing a whole lot in terms of impressions for this game. I was kind of interested but this is probably something I won't check out right away, especially since it come out between Ys VIII and Danganronpa v3

Yeah. That's a shame too, this game looks beautiful, they should go all-in with it and give it a dub.

From the playthrough I checked out on YouTube it doesn't seem like that would make much of a difference, the game looks like it has barely any voice acting as it is. Even if it is the game's equivalent of social links, they don't even have small clips playing during dialouge. It's so silent that it's kind of jarring lol.

Shin

Banned
dlc_01_zoom47_thumb.jpg

More info and images at: http://www.siliconera.com/2017/07/0...tasy-xv-collaboration-costumes-july-10-japan/

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I think I can understand why, but some people probably wanted the Vita version and its not fair to them to not localize it. :([/QUOTE]

You think it's just lack of demand? It is a bummer, would much rather have this on Vita. I guess remote play will have to do.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/658260/discussions/0/1495615865226661101/

I hope it craters on PC.

Wait, no need to hope, all their shitty ports crater on PC. Eat shit KoeiTecmo.

We prepare 2D images basically on the resolution of 1280*720 for BLUE REFLECTION Steam version, meanwhile 1920*1080 for PS4 version.
Therefore, if you play in the environment where the resolution is larger than 1280*720, the images are shown as stretched. We hope you will accept this.
We will consider conforming 2D images to a larger resolution, but cannot promise.
Is this a joke ?!

What is the general gaf opinion of the game? Reviews are not looking good so far. A lot of reviews criticize the repetitive gameplay and the lack of explorable areas.

I kinda look forward to playing the game but I'm still undecided if paying full price is justifiable.

Anyone already playing the game? What are first impressions?

What is the general gaf opinion of the game? Reviews are not looking good so far. A lot of reviews criticize the repetitive gameplay and the lack of explorable areas.

I kinda look forward to playing the game but I'm still undecided if paying full price is justifiable.

Anyone already playing the game? What are first impressions?

The majority of reviews seem to gloss over things like the battle system, balancing, the quality of the level/objective designs and so on, which I found disappointing, almost as if the game got a free pass off its soundtrack, its overall narrative and being from a fan favourite developer.

Either way, I share the same concerns as you do. I did manage to find more in-depth analysis of the game's systems from a couple of reviews, and it is as you say. The repetition bothers me if the missions and levels are dull, and that seems to be the case - like modern Atelier games progression (in quests, in character abilities) seems to be tied to dull tasks.

Given the number of reviews which haven't found this to be an issue, have we come to accept this sort of dull, reward-driven game design? Is a genuinely dull piece of level design fun just because it's become a box to tick?

Will be very happy to be proven wrong on this wrt the game.

I'm ignoring any negative review clearly written by someone not familiar with Atelier and such.

That's unwise considering the decline in quality of Atelier games since Ayesha (which also happens to be when Koei Tecmo absorbed Gust).

Being familiar with Atelier would make you *more* likely to write a negative review since Blue Reflection is more likely to inherit the same brainless task-driven gameplay systems. You also don't need to be familiar with Atelier to realise poor level design and balancing either - I think the Push Square review makes a lot of valid points.

Durante

That's unwise considering the decline in quality of Atelier games since Ayesha (which also happens to be when Koei Tecmo absorbed Gust).

Being familiar with Atelier would make you *more* likely to write a negative review since Blue Reflection is more likely to inherit the same brainless task-driven gameplay systems. You also don't need to be familiar with Atelier to realise poor level design and balancing either - I think the Push Square review makes a lot of valid points.
It's a shame, because during the Arland trilogy it felt like Gust's game design improved by leaps and bounds with each game. (Though some aspects like the alchemy itself continued to improve at least in the Dusk trilogy)

It's a shame, because during the Arland trilogy it felt like Gust's game design improved by leaps and bounds with each game. (Though some aspects like the alchemy itself continued to improve at least in the Dusk trilogy)

Agreed. I regret skipping Ayesha back in 2013 as when I did play it last month like the culmination of everything that worked well in the Arland games, along with a lot of neat new ideas, and well, genuine ambition to take things in an exciting new direction.

For the latest games, I suppose it also doesn't help that Gust is increasingly being stretched thin on resources, they really seem like an assembly line nowadays for Koei Tecmo content.

Top Bottom