• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 07•01-03•16 - Tarzan-a-doodoo can't Purge Dory, BFG = BOMBA FAIL GOOSE-EGG

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

6z9TSxj.jpg
O0jQg8P.jpg
c5tPEal.jpg
lbGUL7d.jpg
UdTJEwk.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
95% Finding Dory
eptv7.gif
35% The Legend of Tarzan
8mB0Q.gif
54% The Purge: Election Year
8vteV.gif
71% The BFG
5f4ew.gif
32% Independence Day: Resurgence
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
68% Our Kind of Traitor

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Finding Dory’ Dominates ‘Tarzan,’ Spielberg’s ‘The BFG’ Bombs

“Finding Dory” dominated the Independence Day box office, providing a little spark to a weekend that was lacking in fireworks.

The Pixar release swam to the top of the charts for the third consecutive weekend, picking up $41.9 million to bring its domestic total to $372.2 million. The follow-up to “Finding Nemo” should end the four-day holiday with another $50.5 million in receipts.

The July 4th weekend is traditionally one of the movie business’ biggest, but this national holiday suffered from a weak crop of new releases, as costly adventures such as “The Legend of Tarzan” and “The BFG” failed to excite audiences.

With a smaller budget, “The Legend of Tarzan” might rank as a hit. But Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow spent lavishly to update Edgar Rice Burroughs’ jungle king stories, shelling out a reported $180 million to produce the picture and millions more to market it.

Despite the high costs, the film did better than projected, earning $38.1 million for the three day weekend to take second place. It should make $44 million for the holiday, but that may not be enough to cover the massive budget. David Yates, who directed several Harry Potter installments, was behind the camera on the film, with Alexander Skarsgård donning Tarzan’s loincloth and Margot Robbie serving as his Jane.

To make a profit, the film will have to resonate with foreign crowds. In its first weekend of international release, “The Legend of Tarzan” pulled in $18.8 million from 19 markets, including South Korea and Russia.

“You have to look at the whole worldwide results,” said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. distribution executive vice president, noting that the film has yet to open in major territories such as China.

“At the end of the day we always looked at this as a bigger play internationally,” he added.

The weekend’s biggest disaster was Disney’s “The BFG,” Steven Spielberg’s $140 million adaptation of Roald Dahl’s children’s classic. The story of a friendly giant (Mark Rylance) who befriends an orphan (Ruby Barnhill), got solid reviews, but was overshadowed by “Finding Dory.” It collapsed at the box office, eking out $19.6 million over the weekend and should earn a paltry $23.6 million over the four day holiday for a fourth place finish. It will rank as one of the biggest flops of the summer and of Spielberg’s career, raising questions about his drawing power after a decade spent making historical dramas such as “Lincoln” that are geared at older crowds.

One new release did score with audiences. Universal’s “The Purge: Election Year” debuted in third place to $30.9 million and should make $34 million over the holiday. That’s a solid return for a film that cost a mere $10 million to produce and another summer success for Blumhouse, the micro-budget purveyor of “Insidious” and “Paranormal Activity.” The two previous installments, “The Purge” and “The Purge: Anarchy,” debuted to $34.1 million and $29.8 million, respectively.

The sequel follows a presidential candidate (Elizabeth Mitchell) campaigning to end the purge, a legally sanctioned night of lawlessness. It may have benefited from interest in the White House battle between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

In its second weekend of release, Fox’s “Independence Day: Resurgence” rounded out the top five, earning $16.5 million. The follow up to the hit alien invasion thriller has made $76.3 million domestically and should close the holiday with more than $20 million in receipts.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

Worldwide Box Office

*click pic for full list/source*

DeathyBoy

Banned
"
You have to look at the whole worldwide results,” said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros. distribution executive vice president, noting that the film has yet to open in major territories such as China.

“At the end of the day we always looked at this as a bigger play internationally,” he added.

This guy must hate his fucking job at this point.

GhaleonEB

Tarzan manged to simultaneously do better than expected while still not nearly good enough given the budget. Not nearly the bomb I was expecting, though.

The BFG - oof. Spielberg + the book + Disney should have been gold, but those trailers looked not so great. Dreadful opening. (I'll catch it next weekend.)

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Finding Dory - $538M
The Legend of Tarzan - $57M
Zootopia - $1.019B
The Jungle Book - $934M
Warcraft - $422M

suaveric

Why would Disney put another kid movie so close to their own? Finding Nemo was one of their biggest hits of all time did they really think it's sequel wasn't going to be tearing things up just two weeks later? I would've held this for the fall.

Abounder

Banned
Spielberg makes some butt ugly CGI characters, not surprised that BFG is yet another disappointment but yikes at those numbers.

As for Tarzan, I'm more of a George of the Jungle kind of guy...screw grimdark, watch out for that tree!

jett

D-Member
Tarzan trying to swing his way out of the depths of utter failure. If only it hadn't cost 180 million.

The BFG just looked visually gross, completely unappealing. I'm really not sure why Espilbergo wasted his time doing that.

GhaleonEB

Warcraft's legs are amazing.

• $24,166,110
  • $7,241,430 (-70%)
  • $2,247,420 (-69%)
  • $491,000 (-78%)
Been a while since I saw a film collapse like that.

Man, Disney is having the most bipolar year ever. Every movie they release either shatters box office records or bombs horribly.

Raxus

A silent salute to Zootopia which finally lost its spot in the top 20.

Great stuff for the Purge movies.

I dunno who made the decision to send the BFG to die but they were hopefully sacked.

Sean C

One of Disney's tentpoles finally fails -- ironically, at least in part because one of their other films was so successful. The BFG is lower-tier Spielberg in terms of quality, but I wish it had done better just because I like to see more live-action family films.

Dory continues to impress.

• $24,166,110
  • $7,241,430 (-70%)
  • $2,247,420 (-69%)
  • $491,000 (-78%)
That shows dedication.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The BFG - oof. Spielberg + the book + Disney should have been gold, but those trailers looked not so great. Dreadful opening. (I'll catch it next weekend.)

Was the book even that popular? I am legitimately asking. I had never heard of it before the movie.

Warcraft has almost disappeared from my area, so I guess I'll have to wait til it hits home media in order to witness the wreckage.

Sean C

Was the book even that popular? I am legitimately asking. I had never heard of it before the movie.
Fairly well-known, I'd say, though not quite in Dahl's top tier. But then, Dahl adaptations have seldom set the box office on fire, for whatever reason, despite his enduring popularity.

Zootopia finally gets knocked out of the top 20. What an amazing run that film had. It could have lasted twice as long and still deserved it.

Dory needs to open in more territories so I can gaze in awe at it climbing the yearly top grossing list.

• $24,166,110
  • $7,241,430 (-70%)
  • $2,247,420 (-69%)
  • $491,000 (-78%)

Well, it's the second $100m+ budget movie this year that will fail to double its OW gross. :p

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
tbf BFG is kinda Disney and kinda isn't, it ain't just their film

It ain't their film - it's from their output deal with Dreamworks and they couldn't wait for it to be over.

Steven hasn't been a box-office draw as of late and his recent films are meh to be honest, not surprised by the result.

Nipo

Man, Disney is having the most bipolar year ever. Every movie they release either shatters box office records or bombs horribly.

Seriously. It is like someone is doing A/B testing with hundreds of millions of dollars to see what works and what doesn't.

jmood88

it's amazing that there are a bunch of handsomely-paid people who do things like spend over $180 million on a Tarzan movie.

El Topo

it's amazing that there are a bunch of handsomely-paid people who do things like spend over $180 million on a Tarzan movie.

Maybe it'll do really well internationally? Oh, we already have international numbers coming in? Well, uh...yeah, I got nothing.

It ain't their film - it's from their output deal with Dreamworks and they couldn't wait for it to be over.

Steven hasn't been a box-office draw as of late and his recent films are meh to be honest, not surprised by the result.

I figured it was that when the end trailer before Finding Dory wasn't BFG, but Pete's Dragon

It honestly feels like a 'thanks for what you've done' kinda film, like how Tarzan was Yates'.

Nipo

me neither, and I'm nearly 38 and always loved to read. I've read lots of Dahl's stuff- but this one is out of nowhere.

It is one of his best selling books and even before the movie constantly rated in the top 3 of his works. Were it not for the popularity of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory movie back in the 70s it would probably be his best selling book.

bjGZ8Qt.jpg

... did they forget one zero at the Purge budget ? lol

That's the thing about horror movies and why studios love them. They cost peanuts and have a large enough built in audience that even the incredibly shitty ones are almost 100% guaranteed to make bank.

Kasper

Never heard of The BFG before reading this thread. What a terrible name, too. I wonder if it would have done better having an actual name and not just an acronym as it's title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom