• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•19-21•16 - Bomba-Herp(derp) trampled as Squad slip by the dogs of war

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
“They went big and they went home.”

tumblr_static_57u9whj4f7cwgosk4gk0w0soo.gif

That man has a vagina.

kswiston

If Suicide Squad continues to have decent overseas holds, it might end up passing Guardians of the Galaxy's worldwide minus China gross

So, can someone update me on whether the latest Suicide Squad number are:

1) Awful. See? DC has no idea what they're doing.

2) Great. See? DC haters were wrong.

3) Fine.

DeathyBoy

Banned

3) Fine.

The scene in the bar during SS is how people think WB execs are acting right now, getting drunk and saying they almost pulled it off.

kswiston

3) Fine.

Suicide Squad will make more than Man of Steel domestic, and maybe more than Man of Steel worldwide. Man of Steel made $63M in China. Suicide Squad will not be allowed a Chinese release.

Warner, look at this money you're making with a critical flop and decent WOM. Just imagine the returns with great reviews and amazing word of mouth. Get it together WB.

3N16MA

Banned
I heard that the break even point for Justice League is the same as the original X-Box's. Even Avatar cash would be the biggest flop of all time.

It will lose billions like the XBOX and tank WB.

Disney will buy it for pennies on the dollar.

My highly confidential sources around POTUS which cannot be named at the moment are revealing that WB is F.O.A.T, infact it is not making money at all...it is making Milk..because money is paper and milk is calcium. And if you drink milk you will get shock and die at point.so basically it is nothing than a walking dead around its grave!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The fuck does this even mean

The premise for Pets is hardly different from a Disney or Pixar film

If Pets is a LCD film then so is fucking Finding Dory
Concept ain't what he's talking about, it's execution. Illumination films have bland designs and animation, and the scripts are formulaic and unremarkable.

3N16MA

Banned
That 2nd day drop (even if overestimated) made it seem SS would tank harder than BvS.

Nice recovery. WB can't be mad at this.

Totally called Ben-Hur becoming Bomba-Hur. Like someone said, it looked like the typical Sony remake of an old classic that nobody wanted (even though it's Paramount/MGM's baby). And Kubo really, really, deserved better. :(

Meanwhile, Nitrogen Studios is gonna make out like a damned bandit on Sausage Party's gross, despite screwing a huge chunk of their animators over in the process of making the film. And SS holding ground at the box office despite reviews (unlike BvS, which continued to slump further) is probably going to embolden WB in trying to "salvage" future DCEU films in the same way they "salvaged" SS. Meh.

Nev

Banned
Damn, so much for bad word of mouth! Turns out the actual word of mouth in the outside world was good because the movie is in no way or shape a "26%". Who would've guessed the internet haters were wrong?!

Hoping for a SS2 announcement soon.

AlexBasch

Still for the life of me can't rationalize why Passion was so successful. Must be the latent sadism in everyone.
It's the best biblical horror movie I have seen.

I mean, Jigsaw and the Hostel films were tryhards compared with that whip with the blades that chop off stuff from Jesus's sides. That was sick.

What do you mean it was a biblical movie?

Schlorgan

Damn, so much for bad word of mouth! Turns out the actual word of mouth in the outside world was good because the movie is in no way or shape a "26%". Who would've guessed the internet haters were wrong?!

Hoping for a SS2 announcement soon.

If they were wrong about SS, they must have been wrong about Revenge of the Fallen as well.

Revenge of the Fallen had similar second and third weekend drops to SS. Its second weekend drop was actually 5% better than SS but it also had more competition.

Nev

Banned
If they were wrong about SS, they must have been wrong about Revenge of the Fallen as well.

I don't know, I haven't watched that. What I know is that SS/DCU haters have been eager to ensure that the word of mouth would be bad and the movie would tank after its fantastic opening, denying that evidence in the real world stated that people were actually enjoying the movie all over. I'm not even talking about critics here.

Turns out they were wrong and the movie is still going strong, as everyone who went to the theater instead of only reading and participating in the circlejerk fanboy agenda would've guessed.

Well deserved run for Squad with pretty good drops. So much for hopes and predictions of bad word of mouth.

2016 has been so rough for blockbusters that 67% and 54% drops in 2nd and 3rd week is seen as "pretty good."

It's been a rough year for all studios, but I think it's time to start seriously worrying about the future of Paramount. What do they even have that would keep the lights on for the next few years?

I don't know, I haven't watched that. What I know is that SS/DCU haters have been eager to ensure that the word of mouth would be bad and the movie would tank after its fantastic opening, denying that evidence in the real world stated that people were actually enjoying the movie all over. I'm not even talking about critics here.

Turns out they were wrong and the movie is still going strong, as everyone who went to the theater instead of only reading and participating in the circlejerk fanboy agenda would've guessed.

You're being pretty silly. Suicide Squad's legs still aren't really any good. They're just not as bad as they looked like they were going to be a couple weeks ago. It's holding worse than Man of Steel, but better than Batman v Superman. More or less about as well as X-Men Origins: Wolverine or X-Men: Apocalypse.

Dark of the Moon's legs are kind of misleading. It opened on a Wednesday, so that greatly skews its opening weekend. It entered the weekend with $64m already in the bank, making its 2nd weekend drop look much more impressive than it really was.

It was at $162m after its 1st weekend and finished with $352m.

By the same token, you could look at The Amazing Spider-Man's $62m opening weekend and call its domestic total of $262m a good run, but it's pretty dishonest.

BumRush

Um, sorry to say this, but you can love DC films and think SS was trash (which I did, unfortunately)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
One week the title of these threads is going actually going to make me have a stroke and you better believe my lawyer already has xaosslug on speed dial.

Wonder where GB will crawl to now its past 200. The mighty 244 take of its prequel Pixels is comfortably out of shot though.

kswiston

This has been a really weird year. Despite the many massive bombs, 2016 is still by far the best year yet in total box office YTD.

The first 4 months of the year definitely helped but July had a record gross as well.

Kintor

Banned
Hmm... I would have liked to see Kubo make around 15 million opening weekend, more in line with how Coraline opened. Even so, Kubo should have great word of mouth and there are still the international markets to consider. I think that Kubo will be able to make a nice profit in the end and that's even before DVD and Blu-ray begin.

Oh well, if nothing else I can still say that Kubo and the Two Strings is bigger than Ben Hur. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom