• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

DC somehow fucked up Batman and Superman to the point that a solo Wonder Woman film set in WW1 and an R-Rated Deadpool film are bigger domestically.

I get this pov, I just dont' understand why it's the automatic go-to.

Instead of looking at it as "they got a Wonder Woman and a Deadpool so right that they ran over the rest of the box-office that year and became general phenomenons" it's "They only got their Ws because the RIGHTFUL winners got cheated by bad filmmakers"

Toa TAK

Banned
Awesome legs for WW and it looks like Cars did what it needed to do.

Happy Father's day to kswiss, cooter and all of the other BO GAF dad's!!

(Seriously, who else is a dad on here??)
The only thing I father is constant disappointment.

Instead of looking at it as "they got a Wonder Woman and a Deadpool so right that they ran over the rest of the box-office that year and became general phenomenons" it's "They only got their Ws because the RIGHTFUL winners got cheated by bad filmmakers"
We know it's both, man. It was BvS was so bad vs WW and Deadpool being so good that combined. BvS had no business making anything less than $1 billion and it would've done it if the movie was at least mediocre but it wasn't. It was epically bad. If you'd told me six months ago that Wonder Woman could beat BvS (and SS and MoS) at the domestic box office id laugh in your face.

GhaleonEB

11th highest third weekend ever. Decent chance of seeing Wonder Woman get in the top 10 considering that it's outperformed estimates to date.

Wow. Looking at the three weekends so far is a neat way of showing WW's legs:

#40 in biggest opening weekends

#24 in second weekends

#11 third weekend

Glass Rebel

I do get what you're saying but DKR did like $450m DOM. People rightfully thought BvS would be in the same ballpark.

jmizzal

Solid numbers for All Eyez on me since it's not a big budget and not in as many theaters, all shows have been full when I was looking for tickets online

ZeoVGM

Banned
Is Wonder Woman disappointing a bit internationally? It seems lower than I expected after its success in North America.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wow. Looking at the three weekends so far is a neat way of showing WW's legs:

#40 in biggest opening weekends

#24 in second weekends

#11 third weekend

Another way of looking at it.

Wonder Woman opening weekend to 3rd weekend is a 61% drop. Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad dropped 65%, 69% and 67% respectively from opening weekend to 2nd weekend.

El Topo

Is Wonder Woman disappointing a bit internationally? It seems lower than I expected after its success in North America.

Yes. Kenzo and me brought up in the previous thread that e.g. its German debut is half of that of the other DCEU movies, I think someone reported similar numbers for France.
Now whether that is disappointing or not, it *is* a WW1 prequel detached from the rest of DCEU after all, is up for debate.

3N16MA

Banned
From the previous thread.

Avengers OW: $207,438,708|3rd weekend: $55,644,102
Spider-Man OW: $114,844,116|3rd weekend: $45,036,912
The Dark Knight OW: $158,411,483|3rd weekend: $42,664,219
Wonder Woman OW: $103,251,471|3rd weekend: $40,700,000
AOU OW: $191,271,109|3rd weekend: $38,859,900
Iron Man 3 OW: $174,144,585|3rd weekend: $35,770,094
TDKR OW: $160,887,295| 3rd weekend: $35,737,330
Civil War OW: $179,139,142|3rd weekend: $32,939,739
Deadpool OW: $132,434,639| 3rd weekend: $31,115,195
Spider-Man 3 OW: $151,116,516| 3rd weekend: $29,022,026

Incredible 3rd weekend and even more impressive given the OW. Only Spider-Man is as impressive.

I think Rough Night is about 5 years too late, and being "The Hangover but for women... again? I guess?" isn't much of a hook when you've got Wonder Woman being "Superman, but better" at the exact same time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think Rough Night could have done better with proper marketing. It was brought up by someone in another thread but once the first trailer dropped a few months ago, it felt like that was it. I've barely seen any commercials for that thing.

Timbuktu

Aside from Wonder Woman, this summer has been terrible for Hollywood so far, rotten films everywhere. I would love to go to the cinema this weekend with the weather and just forget the outside world for a couple of hours, but everything's seem a bit shit. Baby Driver can't get here quickly enough.

I like that Gregson-Williams tried to elaborate on it and make it less butt-rock annoying and more like it actually fit in her movie.

He wasn't particularly successful, but he tried!

I think Rough Night is about 5 years too late, and being "The Hangover but for women... again? I guess?" isn't much of a hook when you've got Wonder Woman being "Superman, but better" at the exact same time.
Didn't people say Bridesmaids was "The Hangover for women".

I'd rather watch Bridesmaids than either, but that's just me.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

It's going to end up doing ~$350m or so overseas. Most people had WW pegged at $550-$600m worldwide with a heavy domestic slant and it's going to end up around $725-$750m with a heavy domestic slant.

Didn't people say Bridesmaids was "The Hangover for women".

Yup, it's why I put that "...again" in there.

I just don't know that "rich cokehead white women kill a stripper LOL" was maybe the right flick at the right time for this market.

It's apparently not much more than two Broad City sketches shoved together and streeeeeeetched to feature film length

Firemind

Yes. Kenzo and me brought up in the previous thread that e.g. its German debut is half of that of the other DCEU movies, I think someone reported similar numbers for France.
Now whether that is disappointing or not, it *is* a WW1 prequel detached from the rest of DCEU after all, is up for debate.
Well, nobody knows who WW is outside of NA after all.

Top Bottom