• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boomer GAF, what house appliances / DIY / life hacks blew your mind?

Billbofet

Roomba on each floor of my house
White vinegar for cleaning
Air fryer
Dryer sheets in shoe closet
Ultrawide screen monitor
Mopping robot
Dozens of microfiber cloths for all kinds of things - different colors for different duties like auto/cleaning/dusting...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Try to wash your car yourself:

- Use soft material (not bristle brushes). Get one of those telescopic brushes. This is for the car
- Get a smaller separate brush to wash your wheels. Never use the same brush
- Make sure to keep an eye on the bucket of soapy suds. If it looks like it's getting dirty and gritty, dump and do a new bucket. You dont want to scratch your car using gritty water
- Hose out your wheel wells thoroughly. Not just the back, but near the front. This is why you see lots of cars with rust spots on the wheel well. They never cleaned it
- Go to the car wash every now and then though so it can wash the undercarriage
- Dont wash your car when it's too hot outside. You'll be dying of heat and the car will dry too fast on it's own leaving spots as you clean the rest of the car. Hand dry your with microfibre cloths. You can get a giant 20 pack of yellow ones at Costco for like $15. When you hand dry the car, you need a bit of water still on the car so your wipes give it a nice clean finish

If you are a car wash station guy, do touchless if you got a nice car. If you use the old school car washes with giant brushes you never know if there's dirt in them that will scratch your car.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Try to wash your car yourself:

- Use soft material (not bristle brushes). Get one of those telescopic brushes. This is for the car
- Get a smaller separate brush to wash your wheels. Never use the same brush
- Make sure to keep an eye on the bucket of soapy suds. If it looks like it's getting dirty and gritty, dump and do a new bucket. You dont want to scratch your car using gritty water
- Hose out your wheel wells thoroughly. Not just the back, but near the front. This is why you see lots of cars with rust spots on the wheel well. They never cleaned it
- Go to the car wash every now and then though so it can wash the undercarriage
- Dont wash your car when it's too hot outside. You'll be dying of heat and the car will dry too fast on it's own leaving spots as you clean the rest of the car. Hand dry your with microfibre cloths. You can get a giant 20 pack of yellow ones at Costco for like $15. When you hand dry the car, you need a bit of water still on the car so your wipes give it a nice clean finish

If you are a car wash station guy, do touchless if you got a nice car. If you use the old school car washes with giant brushes you never know if there's dirt in them that will scratch your car.

The rain is my car wash. IDGAF

Trunx81

What´s with all these Air Fryers! Now I´m intrigued to buy my own .. are there any differences in cheaper models? Don´t want to pay the Phillips-tax

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What´s with all these Air Fryers! Now I´m intrigued to buy my own .. are there any differences in cheaper models? Don´t want to pay the Phillips-tax
There's so many makes and sizes. Some are one giant square shaped pan. Some are dual compartment. I just have a big square one. My bro got it for me at Costco for like $200. It should come with additional grilling attachments too. So it's not just one pan. But you can put a pan inside it with holes in it to drain oil etc...

Even the biggest one wont make enough food to feed a family. But it can make enough to do the main entree. If you're single it can definitely feed you in one shot. Can it feed two people if enough food is jammed in there? Probably. But pending how many people youre feeding and what it is, you'll still cook other things on the stove too.

I can do steak and potatoes in about 9 minutes. A full rack of chicken (maybe 10 pieces jammed in there) is I think no more than 20 minutes. Granted it takes maybe 5 minutes to preheat. Shove in your food. Mine has a built in beeper at the midway point so you know when to flip the food. I'm guessing all air fryers are nonstick so cleaning the pans is easy.

Every model has standard temperature change and timers etc... Some models have thermostats you can stick into your piece of meat, or fancy preset cooking settings etc....

Every person I know whose bought one has done the same thing:

- Buy it and dont get around to it for months
- They eventually open it and use it and love it

I did the same. My bro's gift was in my basementy for like half a year. I only broke it open because during covid I decided to cook more on my own as things were closed and I was WFH. Was happy I did. I used it almost every day for a month. Now I use it maybe every other day.

The shit is so easy to use. I never read the instructions or recipe book it came with. Just turn on and test it out. My first test was a steak at 10 minutes at High power. Came out a little too well done. So I cut it down to 9 at Medium power. From there, you can already ballpark how long things will take to cook pending how much shit you got in the pan. Also, for things that take less time to cook, just pop the hood open at any time tossing in veggies or bacon or browning a bun.

If you are unsure how long something will take to cook, set the timer longer than it should be. Check the food here and there till it's done. You dont want to set the timer too short because if it needs more cooking, the timer ran out so now you got to redo a new timer and the air fryer will go into preheating mode again.

Last edited:

nkarafo

4. Wet ass wipes - if you only use a toilet paper you are a filthy pig

This.

When i used them for the first time i felt like my whole life was a lie.

Btw, i was using regular kitchen roll soaked with a little water before. Toilet paper shouldn't exist, it's completely useless, it breaks apart even when it's dry and if you do the mistake to add some water it completely dissolves on your ass. I don't know what the point of that is.

JCK75

As someone who loves juicy meat that is not overcooked, Sous vide just absolutely took over my kitchen... the fact I can make a fall apart pot roast that is still medium rare... just.. damn..

Aesius

Also - you do not need latest and greatest for 90% of your things. I have headphones going on for 9 years now, running ones for 4 years, I have an iPhone that I just bought last year, so this is another 3-4 years minimum. Imagine the money saved.
I've had my iPhone 8 Plus since June 2018. My PC (excluding my 3080) is from 2017. Same with my ultrawide monitor.

I think that generally speaking, tech "matured" around the mid 2010s and it's hard to get excited about new stuff, so I just don't buy much anymore.

I do desperately want a new car, however. I'm in my mid-30s and have never owned a new car, and my current vehicle is 20 years old. My wife has a 2021 SUV and I drive it any chance I get because new vehicles are just absurdly nicer than older ones. However, it's not worth the expense to have two car payments at once, so I'm waiting until hers is paid off before I get a new one.

Just saw a post in the Obesity thread and I feel dumb for not having mentioned this one until now: food scales.
It's not just good for weighing ingredients for a recipe, it can also be a crucial tool to help with healthier eating habits and weight management.

It's been a saving grace for me for many years now. It gave me perspective on how much I was actually eating, vs. how much I thought or told myself I was eating.

sono

if you do the mistake to add some water it completely dissolves on your ass. I
Dont add water. It is designed to fall apart so the waste drains and sewers dont get blocked.

Kitchen towel or wet wipes not designed to flush will block your (or your neighbours) drains in time

8bitpill

at%2Farchive%2F8c49c253feefd073d7a8c9283438445c596a5ddf

Bidet. Believe the hype. I've wanted a bidet for 20 plus years. I always thought you had to have the European style bidets where you have a second toilet. Got one at the end of 2020 after we bought our house that same year, and let me tell you, its the second best purchase and our house being the first.

RealTime.gif

Littler Robot 4. Just got this one recently. My wife and I have been together for sixteen years now and have always had cats. Scooping cat turds is one of my most hated chores. If you can afford this, don't even give it a second thought, just buy it and never worry about cat turds again.

3l30mA.gif

Roomba. Honestly this is just worth it. Don't waste your time with long clean ups.

719dhl0uk9L._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

Kaboom Toilet System Cleaner. These work amazing and I've been using them for years. Keeps your toilet x clean.

nkarafo

Dont add water. It is designed to fall apart so the waste drains and sewers dont get blocked.

Kitchen towel or wet wipes not designed to flush will block your (or your neighbours) drains in time
We don't flush paper here, we throw it in the toilet bin.

Kenpachii

Also - you do not need latest and greatest for 90% of your things. I have headphones going on for 9 years now, running ones for 4 years, I have an iPhone that I just bought last year, so this is another 3-4 years minimum. Imagine the money saved.

I replace when it breaks, that's my motto. I have some stuff for a decade and it works perfectly fine. Saves huge amount of cash. Same for my iphone, its a iphone 7, still works fine, replaced the battery once and that's about it. Will keep it until it no longer goes then upgrade.

Cattlyst

I always try to buy appliances/entertainment devices (outside of consoles/computers obviously) that don't rely on an internet connection to work.

AJUMP23

I use a wireless electric leaf blower to dust my house. I might be insane though
Ya battery powered weed eater and blowers are the way to go. My wife can use them all since there is no cranking.

I like the Ego brand it has self winding weed eater string.

Top Bottom