• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOOOOOOM-SHAKA-LAKA! EA ANNOUNCES NBA JAM

jman2050

donkey show said:
whitehawk
Banned
(Today, 05:40 PM)
Reply | Quote

24fg46b.jpg

I give this meme 13 hours before it's run to the ground.

Until then it's awesome.

Rush2thestart said:
Wait, I'm confused by that "screen." Do you guys actually think its a screen or are you messing around?

It looks like a bad photoshop. =/

All we know is, when you clicked on the PDF for this month's Nintendo Power's table of contents, that was what showed up captioned "NBA Jam." About 10 minutes later, it got replaced by a version of the cover-art.

Nishastra

Banned
legend166 said:
I hope they include the player creator aspect from NBA Hangtime. That was awesome.
Hell yes. That's why Hangtime is still my favorite. I always played as a max-height wolfman named "Cornelius" :p

celebi23

did some quick digging into the source of the ea nba jam site. Found this:

http://nba-jam.easports.com/_img/bg.jpg

It's the background image. Some pretty cool stuff in it. A "Thanks Fans!" poster in the top left, a dog/bear mascot near the left hoop. Kinda cool.

Also found the url for the NBA Jam logo in the top left of the page

and the 2 larger logos

http://nba-jam.easports.com/_img/default_feature.jpg
http://ll.assets.ea.com/nawp/na/u/f...images/640x360/01_EAS_NBAJAM_News_640x360.jpg

Who knows, maybe I'll find some more stuff :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
big_z avatar is all kind of awesome:

big_z said:
kinda wish this was xbla but whatever. please no waggle EA.
raptor-avatar-gaf.gif

Hey man if you are reading this, you got banned for asking the game to be released on XBLA.
Port talk is not allowed.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
<G.O.B>Oh Come on!</G.O.B>

Once again : Port talk is a bannable offense!

Mailenstein said:
Huh, what did I do wrong :( ?
Check this same post!

Oh there's Mailenstein.. we were wondering what happened to you when you were trolling the Mushihimesama Futari thread and they found out you haven't even played the game.. :D

RoryDropkick said:
Oh there's Mailenstein.. we were wondering what happened to you when you were trolling the Mushihimesama Futari thread and they found out you haven't even played the game.. :D
I wasn't. I just said I dislike it and there it was: the wave of hate. I can take pictures of proof anytime :).

Fersis

Too late, he is already dead.

Mailenstein said:
I wasn't. I just said I dislike it and there it was: the wave of hate. I can take pictures of proof anytime :).

Mailenstein
Banned
(Today, 12:27 PM)
Reply | Quote

Another one bites the dust.

I remember the arcade version. I think I always lost to the AI as a kid. :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
If the game really does use overly large flat photographs for the heads then this game will be all kinds of amazing. That's something I always found funny about the original.

Milabrega said:
Check his post history, he's not dealing with people owning Wii's very well at all.

If you squint, his avatar looks a bit like a Wii Remote.

Fersis

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Mailenstein
Banned
(Today, 12:27 PM)
Reply | Quote

Another one bites the dust.

I remember the arcade version. I think I always lost to the AI as a kid. :lol
I played he Genesis version with some friends and cousins. Mad fun!
Crazy thing is that we didnt knew anything about basketball, but the game was so simple and action packed ! :lol

People didn't learn from the Epic Mickey thread I see:lol

I'm excited to see what EA does with this.

Also this thread needs more Bill Laimbeer.

Talamius

2 on 2, Mii support, tons of hidden characters unlocked via cheat codes (Obama HAS to be in), and make the catchup AI optional. That's all it needs. NBA Jam has always been a local multiplayer game.

Edit: Advertise it well and it sells at least as well as Tiger '10. Probably better.

obaidr

Banned
SovanJedi said:
If the game really does use overly large flat photographs for the heads then this game will be all kinds of amazing. That's something I always found funny about the original.

If you squint, his avatar looks a bit like a Wii Remote.

it is just some not so simple economic maths shit. At the end of the day a big player like EA does have the man power to do some real market research (i am pretty sure it was not so real at all because media companies does not tend to do so unfortunately) and found out there is some demand for the product out there on the targeted segment. If it wasn't they wouldnt invest the money blindly. Even if it is not too expensive to develop like a HD game, it is still expensive because they are going to have the sunk costs anyway.

This sounds cool.. I'm not a huge sports game fan but I really dug the NBA Jam series when it was in the arcade. Loved the secrets buried in it and the simplistic gameplay, it made me feel like I was actually GOOD at a sports game :lol

I dont have any set expectations other than have it be in the spirit of the original.. any way of getting Turmell or Boon as creative consult on this?

RoryDropkick said:
I dont have any set expectations other than have it be in the spirit of the original.. any way of getting Turmell or Boon as creative consult on this?
Turmell is on board according to EA and his LinkedIn profile apparently.

The digitized faces would be so, so perfect. The shot looks like a mock-up of some kind, but I'll stick in dream mode for a moment more: no doubt they could put together plenty of photographs to use for each face's angle during gameplay. It could be brilliant to revive that style now.

Threi said:
damn wii only?

The only reason I bought my 360 was for the possibility that there might be a new NBA Jam released for it.

:(
Me too. And since then it has died twice. I'm just not going to get it fixed this time, why bother, NBA Jam is Wii only.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I ain't no jock, I'm fat. I am, however, not a mental hermit and I know that

a.) sports games have been fun forever
b.) that sports games are raged against primarily by people who were too pale and frail to participate in real school sports activities
c.) the main line of attack for the big sports franchises - "it's the same game every year" - is a reductive, thoughtless criticism that is used primarily by people who don't "get" sports, or suck at them, or were picked on in school by people who played sports

I think sports games suck because I'd rather be doing it in real life. I'm not particularly good at any one (especially because my right arm's sorta busted... because of sports), except baseball, but I like to play whenever I get the chance. It's kinda why I don't like sim racers. Why play the game when you can go 140 mph on the freeway instead?

Eeeeeeevery once in a while I'll pick up a sports game. NBA Street and MLB Power Pros were about it for last decade though. My dad was the one who bought the football and realistic-looking baseball games.

FoneBone

Nobody else has seen the article today? My local game store had a shitload of copies. Yes, the players all have photos for heads. I was just flipping through quickly, though, and I cant tell you about online one way or the other.

FoneBone said:
Nobody else has seen the article today? My local game store had a shitload of copies. Yes, the players all have photos for heads. I was just flipping through quickly, though, and I cant tell you about online one way or the other.

See anything about Other M or Monando?

GDGF

Soothsayer
FoneBone said:

Yes!

Further bulletins as events warrant?

FoneBone said:
oh lol

Top Bottom