• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOOTLEG AMIIBO DEVICE BACKS UP, SPOOFS, AMIIBO FUNCTIONALITY

Peltz

I think Amiibos are a terrible idea and only perpetuate the idea that people will throw their money at worthless items. Work on your gaming division, or get back into the toys market. But this safety net nonsense to recoup the losses of the bad decisions of your gaming division is disappointing because it works so well.

I think that Amiibo are firmly in the "toys" market. Very few games had very compelling content locked behind an amiibo paywall.

ViolentP

I think that Amiibo are firmly in the "toys" market. Very few games had very compelling content locked behind an amiibo paywall.

It became a toy since the original intent has still failed to execute. The user fanaticism is now what Nintendo is capitalizing on.

Madao

thinking more about it. this will only cause Nintendo to do "Amiibo v2.0" with better security for NX and make new games require the new ones and the cycle repeats itself.

Pokemaniac

thinking more about it. this will only cause Nintendo to do "Amiibo v2.0" with better security for NX and make new games require the new ones and the cycle repeats itself.

There are actually pretty legitimate reasons Nintendo may want to do an "amiibo 2.0" in the future. One of the biggest being storage space. Current NFC technology doesn't allow for very much storage at all.

Lagamorph

Might have to grab one of these, then it's just getting the Amiibo data somehow....

Fuck Amiibo. If this helps kill toy locked content then all the better.

I don't mind Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Dimensions because that's just a single game and you go in knowing it's about the toys. But with Amiibo you're getting content locked in almost all first party Nintendo games and have to keep buying new Amiibos, so the hell with supporting that.

This trend was recognized by Nintendo, and they somehow see it as a problem. (Or the one guy that was giving the interview did.) So, erm.

Dr. Buni

Most people are buying it for the figure and not the extra stuff, if you check the Amiibo OTs you would understand, so encouraging people to pirate won't change anything.
The reason they are buying amiibos is not important, fact is they are supporting and giving Nintendo more reasons to lock content behind amiibos. Of course, for amiibo fans that isn't a problem, but for others? Yesh. Amiibo by itself isn't the problem and if the reason people buy it is for the toys, Nintendo should just stop locking content behind amiibos. But of course they won't do that.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The reason they are buying amiibos is not important, fact is they are supporting and giving Nintendo more reasons to lock content behind amiibos. Of course, for amiibo fans that isn't a problem, but for others? Yesh. Amiibo by itself isn't the problem and if the reason people buy it is for the toys, Nintendo should just stop locking content behind amiibos. But of course they won't do that.

If people were only buying them as toys, the World of Nintendo figures, which predate amiibo and are better figures, would have sold better. This is a combination of their interactivity function and their (perceived) rarity mixing with Nintendo fan overzealousness to create a perfect storm of retail demand.

sonto340

Why would they when its been a huge profit center for them?
If you want the content pay for it. If you don't want to pay you don't get the content. Period. Video games are a business not a charity.
Until they're locking story beats or essential game features behind amiibo, I don't see it as a problem. It's a fun bonus for fans of that character.
The amiibo works across multiple games and unlocks content based on that character. that's the thinking. Link unlocks link skins in multiple games etc. People keep perceiving it as the other way around(only this content is unlocked with the amiibo) and it's a bit odd to me.
Shovel Knight is the only amiibo that's kinda junk in this way, I'll level.

Piers

I thought the whole idea behind the amiibo content is that if it's character you like, you'll get something small and neat associated with it across various games — to that extent said person will likely buy a toy of their favourite character to begin with.

That said, Nintendo should still release cards as an alternative.

Ridley327

If people were only buying them as toys, the World of Nintendo figures, which predate amiibo and are better figures, would have sold better. This is a combination of their interactivity function and their (perceived) rarity mixing with Nintendo fan overzealousness to create a perfect storm of retail demand.

World of Nintendo hasn't done any of the franchises that keep continually selling out for Amiibo. You look at the stuff that's clogging the shelves for Amiibo and SURPRISE, it's all the same stuff that World of Nintendo is already doing.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
If you want the content pay for it. If you don't want to pay you don't get the content. Period. Video games are a business not a charity.
Until they're locking story beats or essential game features behind amiibo, I don't see it as a problem. It's a fun bonus for fans of that character.
The amiibo works across multiple games and unlocks content based on that character. that's the thinking. Link unlocks link skins in multiple games etc. People keep perceiving it as the other way around(only this content is unlocked with the amiibo) and it's a bit odd to me.

Well, a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD will be locked behind the Wolf Link Amiibo.

Co-op mode in Yoshi's Wooly World and Shovel Knight are locked behind their respective Amiibos.

The good (traditional) mode of Mario Party 10 is locked behind Amiibos.

So there have been some significant things beholden to "TLC." (I'm alright with it, having totally bought in.)

Might have to grab one of these, then it's just getting the Amiibo data somehow....

Fuck Amiibo. If this helps kill toy locked content then all the better.

I don't mind Skylanders/Disney Infinity/Dimensions because that's just a single game and you go in knowing it's about the toys. But with Amiibo you're getting content locked in almost all first party Nintendo games and have to keep buying new Amiibos, so the hell with supporting that.

Not all content unlocked with Amiibo is something that is locked on disc.

See Mario Kart, Amiibo Tap, Captain Toad, Shovel Knight, M dash DLC characters etc.

Also Disney Infinity with its blind Power Disc Packa are far worse than anything else.

Ridley327

Well, a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD will be locked behind the Wolf Link Amiibo.

Co-op mode in Yoshi's Wooly World and Shovel Knight are locked behind their respective Amiibos.

The good (traditional) mode of Mario Party 10 is locked behind Amiibos.

So there have been some significant things beholden to "TLC." (I'm alright with it, having totally bought in.)

Co-op mode is not locked to Amiibo in YWW. It generates a double for a solo player to get the benefits of having another Yoshi around, which I don't believe is even required to get 100% in the game.

Just consider this a cheating device like the Game Shark, not a piracy device.

KC Denton

Not all content unlocked with Amiibo is something that is locked on disc.

See Mario Kart, Amiibo Tap, Captain Toad, Shovel Knight, M dash DLC characters etc.

Also Disney Infinity with its blind Power Disc Packa are far worse than anything else.
Disney stopped the blind packs with 3, you now buy a complete themed set of discs instead.

In the UK at least the distribution for 'world of nintendo' figures is appalling or else we would have bought a lot more of them but jakks are (understandably) a damn sight more interested in selling outsized star wars figures here than anything else.

I think I've heard complaints from US gaffers about finding them too, so I'd be tempted to take availability into account when judging their sales totals.

Top Bottom