• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 Science helped map 4.5 million bacteria

Draugoth

Gold Member
ZsVTRePDt7fTG7WvviJtcf-970-80.jpg.webp

Borderlands 3 community scores a big win for science: 'These players have helped trace the evolutionary relationships of more than a million different kinds of bacteria that live in the human gut'

Roughly 4.5 million of them, as it turns out. "These players have helped trace the evolutionary relationships of more than a million different kinds of bacteria that live in the human gut, some of which play a crucial role in our health," McGill said in a press release.

"This information represents an exponential increase in what we have discovered about the microbiome up till now. By aligning rows of tiles which represent the genetic building blocks of different microbes, humans have been able to take on tasks that even the best existing computer algorithms have been unable to solve yet."

via PCGamer

Last edited:
OP didn't really clarify what this means -- there's a minigame inside of Borderlands 3 that helped real life data scientists understand bacteria.
I actually prefer the mental image that OP created for me where there's a group of scientists in lab coats and safety goggles observing, from a safe distance, a bunch of slobs playing Borderlands 3 and waiting for the perfect moment to rush in and collect the bacteria emanating from the players.

Last edited:

Bridges

This actually did something? I don't understand how but also I don't care enough to seek it out.

I did the mini game 2 or 3 times and thought it was boring

Horatius

borderlands 3 and new tales from the borderlands is one of the most underrated franchise ruining one-two punches in gaming history

genuinely annihilated any goodwill remaining with the universe, story, and characters

This is kinda like the Folding @ Home which the PS3 had in its early days.
Only that was for proteins if im not mistaken.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It was actually an okish mild distraction. With the benefit of giving you timed xp boosts. I played it for an hour or two. Good to know it helped.

I really liked BL3 and only ever played it single player. Had some trash writing, but I just enjoyed the gunplay and shlooter aspects.

Top Bottom