• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boris Diaw, NBA's SA Spurs, can make an additional $500k if he stays under 254 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastry

Banned
sFyltli.jpg

QYbwxWc.jpg
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...doesn-t-gain-5-pounds-by-april-203442348.html
Most importantly, Diaw's deal features $500,000 in annual performance bonuses in the form of a weight clause. Each season, he gets:
• $150,000 for weighing less than or equal to 254 pounds on Oct. 25
• $150,000 for weighing less than or equal to 254 pounds on the first Tuesday after the All-Star Game
• $200,000 for weighing less than or equal to 254 pounds on April 1

Basically, the Spurs have given Diaw a real incentive to make weight at three important junctures of the season: opening night, post-All-Star stretch and playoff push. The structure of this contract gives the team some leverage to keep the player motivated while giving him an incentive to continue to perform at a high level.

It's pretty damn hilarious that this is included in his contract but $500k would be plenty motivation to keep my weight in check. Is this common? Are there any other funny clauses like this in sports contracts?

nasax

You can tell Boris is one of those guys who enjoys the finer things in life. Once he stops playing basketball, he's going to balloon up to 350.

And with the way he looks now, I don't think he's going to get that first $150 K. Looks like he's pushing 270.

Clydefrog

You're going to pay me all this money and not expect me to have 2 pounds of filet mignon every night? GTFO

It's a good thing I'm not rich. I can still appreciate filet mignon.

Pastry

Banned
You can tell Boris is one of those guys who enjoys the finer things in life. Once he stops playing basketball, he's going to balloon up to 350.

And with the way he looks now, I don't think he's going to get that first $150 K. Looks like he's pushing 270.

He won Bronze with France this summer so hopefully he managed to keep it off but the Spurs did let him skip a little bit of training camp to rest so who knows.

nasax

It's funny because when he started he was actually really skinny.

My favorite Boris Diaw story (and the rest of the article is worth the read):

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11084748/boris-diaw-dishes-san-antonio-spurs

The capper comes from Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin, who, like Quinter, was an integral part of the Suns' front-office team when Diaw was acquired in a sign-and-trade for Joe Johnson orchestrated by then-Suns personnel chief Bryan Colangelo.

"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [Stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult.'"

Pastry

Banned
My favorite Boris Diaw story (and the rest of the article is worth the read):

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11084748/boris-diaw-dishes-san-antonio-spurs

The capper comes from Cleveland Cavaliers general manager David Griffin, who, like Quinter, was an integral part of the Suns' front-office team when Diaw was acquired in a sign-and-trade for Joe Johnson orchestrated by then-Suns personnel chief Bryan Colangelo.

"Boris walks into the gym one day wearing flip-flops and holding his customary cappuccino, which was a staple for him every morning," Griffin recalled. "It was during pre-draft workouts, so he sees the Vertec [machine] and asks what it is.

"We tell him it measures your vertical leap by determining how many of the bars you can touch. He asks what's the highest anyone has ever gone, and we tell him Amare' [Stoudemire] cleared the entire rack.

"Boris puts down the cappuccino, takes off his flip-flops and clears the entire rack on the first try. Then he calmly puts his flip-flops back on, picks up his cappuccino and walks away, saying, 'That was not difficult.'"

lol imagining that in his accent makes it even funnier.

He should fight for a clause wherein he can just wear a suit on the court, thus reducing the perception of his weight by 30%.

turiaf-parker-diaw-c1-concord-launching-paris.jpg

Imagine taking your girlfriend to a restaurant and seeing these dudes, brehs. Game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom