• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bose or Beats

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
I bought Beats Studio Wireless recently.

Because they actually are one of the top rated BT headphone sets.. and I don't mind their unnatural sound.

Love them so far.

dralla

I think both are very poor values and wouldn't recommend buying either unless they are heavily discounted. You can get much better for the price.

If you've never heard Beats before you should most definitely listen to them yourself, they have a distinct sound, and you can demo them pretty much anywhere these days.

JaseMath

Lesser of two evils.

As a recent owner, I couldn't be happier with the Jaybird Blubuds X.

51Ix8BGAawL._SL1500_.jpg

jackal27

Banned
Bose if I only had those two options, but I would go with something from Audio Technica, probably the ATH-M50s.

I bought a pair of these for $96 from eBay OP. They're still my favorite overall headphones. Maybe a little bass-y, but overall very nice.

riotous

Banned
The fact he's looking at 2 wireless sets is being completely ignored..

I'd never buy a pair of wired beats, but in my research I found the wireless studios actually reviewed well.

Senn's have bad noise cancellation for some reason on their wireless sets for instance.

Beats studio both wired and wireless are considered decent headphones sound quality wise.. and overall their wireless headphones perform better than many, including the top audiophile brands.

At least according to the reviews I read.

Ferr986

As everyone already said, I wouldnt recommend Beats or Bose. Theres a lot of better alternatives that could give you the same amounts of Bass (if thats what you want, because Beats is all about the bass) with better sound quality at the same price. Beyerdynamic, Senheisser, Audio Technica all offer a big range of headphones that are better value than anything from Beats or Bose.

Beats studio both wired and wireless are considered decent headphones sound quality wise.. and overall their wireless headphones perform better than many, including the top audiophile brands.

Im not sure about wireless headphones honestly, but no way the Studios have good sound quality compared to the same pricing offers from the brands already told.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've had Bose, Yamaha, Audio Technica, Sennheiser, and BeyerDynamics.

My favorite out of all of them are the Beyerdynamics DT 770. Incredible sound, and super comfy.

Woffls

I thought this was a 'lesser of two evils' kinda situation.

[fake edit] Oh good, so did others.

+1 for Sen, but I'd go with RHA in that price bracket from what I've used. Managed to make my Shure SE215s last almost two years and counting, so I don't know what others sound like to be honest.

If I had to pick one, I'd rather go Bose.

At least their noise canceling headphones are pretty good and comfy. The sound link is also a pretty good wireless speaker unlike the Beats one which is pure trash.

Gaf has a good headphones thread, you should check it out(http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417447). HiResDes will recommend you a better pair of headphones.

I have the UE-6000 and it's noise reduction with good quality sound for pretty cheap. Last time I checked, you could pick it up for $100. Still 1 year strong, almost 2. Definitely recommend it. The 9000 is wireless, but I don't know if it's as good.

If you want something better, can't go wrong with Audio-technica or Sennheiser.

HiResDes

Alright, I'm going to go head and make some assumptions and give you some recommendations:

If comfort and noise-cancelling is the utmost concern with less of a regard for sound quality and a wireless feature set then go ahead and go with the Bose QC25.

However if you want a really good sounding bluetooth set and aren't really concerned with active noise cancelling check these out:

Sony MDR MK2
AKG K845BT
Sony MDR10BT
Stance S1

If you require both noise-cancelling, wireless connectivity, and good sound quality check these out:

Phiaton Chord MS 530
Parrot Zik

I'm trying to decide between the wireless studios and the QC25.

A quick note on people crapping over Bose and Beats: the OP specifically mentions the Studios or QC25. Every single recommendation so far have not met these requirements. Suggesting a wired, non-active noise cancellation headphone isn't going to work here. The fact of the matter is price isn't the issue because any wireless active noise canceling headphone is going to be around $300-400 minimum.

Second, everyone hating on Beats should really go read some reviews on their revamped line up. They're doing very well amongst reviewers, including sites like Inner Fidelity and Sound+Mag. Are they still over priced for the performance? Yeah a bit. Will the ATH-M50 or Momentums or DT-770 sound that much better? Probably not.

HiResDes

A bit outdated
A quick note on people crapping over Bose and Beats: the OP specifically mentions the Studios or QC25. Every single recommendation so far have not met these requirements. Suggesting a wired, non-active noise cancellation headphone isn't going to work here. The fact of the matter is price isn't the issue because any wireless active noise canceling headphone is going to be around $300-400 minimum.

Second, everyone hating on Beats should really go read some reviews on their revamped line up. They're doing very well amongst reviewers, including sites like Inner Fidelity and Sound+Mag. Are they still over priced for the performance? Yeah a bit. Will the ATH-M50 or Momentums or DT-770 sound that much better? Probably not.

Check again

Brandson

I've also tried many headphone brands over the years. In general, in my experience, Audio-Technica has some QC issues, Sennheiser is a bit too restrained sounding, and Sony isn't accurate enough. My preferred headphones are Beyerdynamic (all made in Germany) and I have a number of them. Their sound signature sounds the most right to my ears, and they are very comfortable. I'm currently running a balanced pair of Beyerdynamic T1 at work, and stock T51p for portable use. For home/work use, if T1 is too expensive, the DT880 is at least about 90% as good in my experience. I would generally skip Bose and Beats and start at something better.

massoluk

Banned
If you have to choose one of those? Bose.

Beat is overpriced fashion item thinking it is state-of-the-art audiophile item.
Bose is just overpriced decent audiophile item.

bose.

had a pair of beats, they become uncomfortable after a bit. also they are very easily broken.

their ear buds arent bad though.

riotous

Banned
Alright, I'm going to go head and make some assumptions and give you some recommendations:

If comfort and noise-cancelling is the utmost concern with less of a regard for sound quality and a wireless feature set then go ahead and go with the Bose QC25.

However if you want a really good sounding bluetooth set and aren't really concerned with active noise cancelling check these out:

Sony MDR MK2
AKG K845BT
Sony MDR10BT
Stance S1

If you require both noise-cancelling, wireless connectivity, and good sound quality check these out:

Phiaton Chord MS 530
Parrot Zik

A good list.. but I read the Zik's get really bad battery life with noise cancelling on, and sound bad with it off.

Haven't read anything about the Phiaton...

But reviewers rated the Beats Studio wireless above the Zik's fairly consistently. Not sure why someone should ignore them as an option?

HiResDes

If you have to choose one of those? Bose.

Beat is overpriced fashion item thinking it is audiophile item.
Bose is just overpriced audiophile item.

Not really. Bose offerings do always have superb comfort and the QC25 are both highly comfortable and have really good noise-cancelling, though the sound quality is very meh. That's about all I have to say good about them.

A good list.. but I read the Zik's get really bad battery life with noise cancelling on, and sound bad with it off.

Haven't read anything about the Phiaton...

But reviewers rated the Beats Studio wireless above the Zik's fairly consistently. Not sure why someone should ignore them as an option?

Active noise-cancelling is a feature that one should avoid if at all possible honestly, sound quality always suffers a bit from the white noise generated to cover up adjacent sounds. The sound quality of something like the AKG or Sony MDR 1R MK2 is so much more detailed than every Beats and Bose entry I've tested. I think the Zik sound better than the Beats as well, but both are overpriced if I'm being honest.

riotous

Banned
Active noise-cancelling is a feature that one should avoid if at all possible honestly, sound quality always suffers a bit from the white noise generated to cover up adjacent sounds. The sound quality of something like the AKG or Sony MDR 1R MK2 is so much more detailed than every Beats and Bose entry I've tested. I think the Zik sound better than the Beats as well, but both are overpriced if I'm being honest.

But the Zik's reportedly sound bad with it OFF not ON.

HiResDes

But the Zik's reportedly sound bad with it OFF not ON.

It's the way they were designed. They aren't very sensitive in order to compensate for their amped mode in BT mode. They don't utilize the built-in amp in passive mode and thus benefit great from being amped by an outside source.

Deadstar

Can anyone recommend some awesome, light weight, comfortable headphones good for music and games in the $100-250 price range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom