• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boss Keys: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Seasons' Dungeon Design

ghostjoke

Banned
His dungeon mapping system is awesome. I'd love to see a complete list of them from the start to see how they have evolved over time.

Syril

Always been meaning to play these. Which one to start with?
The whole gimmick is that after you finish one, you get a password to start the other one with that turns it into the sequel game, so you can play either one first. Seasons leans more towards action and has shoutouts to the original game, while Ages leans more towards puzzles and has shoutouts to the 3D games.

Grenchel

The whole gimmick is that after you finish one, you get a password to start the other one with that turns it into the sequel game, so you can play either one first. Seasons leans more towards action and has shoutouts to the original game, while Ages leans more towards puzzles and has shoutouts to the 3D games.

That's a really cool concept. I definitely need to check out these games.

Would love to get some kind of refresh where the only thing they change is having the ability to have more than two items equipped at a time. Roc's Feather and Power Bracelet can be painful to have to constantly switch back and forth.

OnFire331

The Oracle games have the best dungeon design in the series. They've got complex layouts (but not overly so), they ramp up nicely in difficulty and they've got some really creative puzzles and ways to use items.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Oracle games have the best dungeon design in the series. They've got complex layouts (but not overly so), they ramp up nicely in difficulty and they've got some really creative puzzles and ways to use items.

I wish Flagship has been able to go on and build the DS Zelda titles.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Felt like he spent more time in the video talking about his new graph system rather than the game's dungeons.

Yeah, I appreciated the video a lot, but it didn't follow the previous videos' format. Past ones represented deep dives into the specific games, while this one felt like it was equally about how his video series is evolving. Personally, I quite enjoyed the episode, but I'd likely have titled it slightly differently to reflect the content.

Articalys

For what it's worth, he did post a response to the comments about the focus of the video being too much on the graph system:
Hey all - thanks for the comments. Appreciate the feedback that i didn't really talk about the Oracle games in as much depth as other games. That's fair - i apologise and will make sure future episodes are more squarely focused on the specific games in the title.

just to explain where i'm coming from - this is literally a documentation of my ongoing understanding of how nintendo makes dungeons. so while it might seem like a review or a retrospective on the games (and i can only blame myself for setting it up like that), it's really about my research.

but hey - no reason it can't be both. so next episode you can be sure i'll go into a lot of depth on wind waker's dungeons. if i mention the shadow temple in that episode you can shoot me.

aett

Seasons is in my top three all-time Zelda games. I've beaten it numerous times. Ages... I start it each time I finish Seasons, but only bothered to finish it once.

Seasons is in my top three all-time Zelda games. I've beaten it numerous times. Ages... I start it each time I finish Seasons, but only bothered to finish it once.

What order do you recommend collecting the shapes to unlock the gate? I got like one or two on my last playthrough before I realized what they were for and now I have to backtrack to get the rest. I figure it could've been avoided by getting them as go. When do you usually collect each?

Everyone saying Ages is better is really bumming me out. I only ever owned Seasons (and loved it as a kid) and never got the full experience after beating it by moving on to Ages. I had the strategy guide that included both so I was always taunted with the experience I was missing out on.

Both are really great, but I prefer Seasons. Ages has more of a story focus, but Seasons was prettier and I preferred its concept. The dungeon design in both games are really fun.

jackal27

Banned
This show is so good. Can't wait to watch this in a bit.

Seasons is definitely the easier game so I always say to start with that. They're great. Except some of the music...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Everyone saying Ages is better is really bumming me out. I only ever owned Seasons (and loved it as a kid) and never got the full experience after beating it by moving on to Ages. I had the strategy guide that included both so I was always taunted with the experience I was missing out on.

Well, they are basically independent games. Other than an additional boss and some sidequests you don't lose anything by playing the games separately from each other. I can recommend to play Ages now. It's available on Virtual Console if you don't feel like using a Game Boy system again. Otherwise, I'd recommend the GBA SP for that endeavour of course ^^.

MAtgS

They're both great but Ages is the better of the two. Use that to decide, I guess.

I feel the season changing was the more innovative gimmick between the 2 & am inclined to prefer that game.

PS Din is best Oracle.

Top Bottom