• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy, 10, killed in attempted blasphemy lynching in Pakistan, 5 other wounded.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-killed-attempted-blasphemy-lynching-pakistan
A 10-year-old boy has been killed and five other people wounded after a mob attacked a police station in an attempt to lynch a Hindu man charged with blasphemy in south-west Pakistan, officials said. It was the third major vigilante attack linked to accusations of insulting Islam in less than a month, as law enforcement agencies struggle to deal with a surge in violence.
Thursday’s incident occurred in the town of Hub in the restive province of Balochistan following the arrest of Prakash Kumar, a 34-year-old member of the country’s Hindu religious minority. Kumar, a crockery shop owner, was detained on Tuesday for allegedly posting an incendiary image on social media.

“When news of his arrest was published in local newspapers on Thursday, a crowd of some 500 people, including traders, clerics and politicians, surrounded the town’s police station to demand he be handed over,” police official Abdul Sattar told Agence France-Presse.

When police refused, the mob turned on them, beating up officers and local government officials before firing guns. The 10-year-old boy died and five others were wounded in the melee, he added.
Mujeeb Qambrani, a senior local administration official, said his government had not succumbed to the mob because “we are legally bound to protect the accused”.

On 13 April, hundreds of men attacked and killed a 23-year-old journalism student in the north-western town of Mardan in an incident that sparked a national backlash after a video went viral.

Just over a week later, a mob attacked a mentally ill man who claimed to be a prophet at his local mosque in north-western Chitral. He was rescued by police.

Why are these people so bloodthirsty? As ridiculous as I find blasphemy laws to be, he was already detained by police and would most likely be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Why risk life and limb to storm a police station? They might as well not even have a police force if they are going to act this way.

I wonder what he posted on Social Media that caused all this?

Edit:

Violence erupted after Prakash Kumar, 35, was arrested at Hub in Lasbela district on Wednesday. Police acted after local residents complained he allegedly shared blasphemous content on WhatsApp.

”Prakash, (the son of) Prem Chand has been arrested after local people accused him of blasphemy," police official Zia Mandokhel said. A case was lodged and the mobile phone from which Kumar allegedly shared the blasphemous content was seized, he said.

A court sent Kumar to jail for further interrogation and he was shifted to Gaddani Central Jail.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world...on-whatsapp/story-hEQykerQf7K9PP2ut7csCP.html

So there isn't even proof yet he did anything? An allegation is enough to get these people to want to murder him?

Septic360

Banned
Hub is quite rural and this has happened in some village obviously.

Horrible. The perpetrators need to be dealt with

SpaceWolf

Banned
Just awful. RIP to the boy.

There's so much horrific stuff going on in the Middle East on a daily basis, I've long started to become numb to it.

Ogodei

Why are these people so bloodthirsty? As ridiculous as I find blasphemy laws to be, he was already detained by police and would most likely be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Why risk life and limb to storm a police station? They might as well not even have a police force if they are going to act this way.

Mob psychology is weird. Folks don't want "justice" even if justice is likely to be pretty cruel, they demand action and vengeance.

Take the old lynchings of criminally accused blacks in the American South. Southern blacks who went to jail generally went through a tremendous hell if they didn't get the death penalty, but that wasn't enough for some people.

Madness

Pakistan is a nuclear state as well. Let that sink in. They're really going to regret their fundamentalism and support for extremists in a few short years. Most of the northern region with Afghanistan is pretty lawless, and a lot of militanrs have become bold and routinely attack even officers and military now.

This isn't new either. Pakistan has pretty much exterminated all non-Muslims from the country. It is the birthplace of Sikhism because it was originally Punjab before the British made it a Muslim only country pretty much and yet Sikhs can't even risk going back to some of the holy sites. Reminds me of the girl that was beat to death in Afgahanistam because someone believed she was burning the Quran. If you are driven to madness to kill someone because you feel your religion was mocked, look inwards.

This is literally a case where I think it would be justified for the police making a habit of spraying these mobs with bullets. Because if they don't set that precedent, this mob killing bullshit will only get worse.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Religion of peace.

The irony is lost on them as when I told my cousins for saying that homosexual are people who aren't mentally well and should keep it at home my cousin just responded that the Qu'ran says that god says that gay people should be stoned to death.

To them the Qu'ran is right and cannot be wrong as to doubt it would be doubting god and to doubt god would mean a lifetime in hell.

It's one of the reason why I stop being religious, I just outgrew it.

So if you want to get rid of someone in Pakistan, just make up some blasphemy shit and the local religious zealots will torture and kill them for you, in the name of God of course.

And then the President will just name a school in their honor.

Fucking insanity.

I don't want to overstep, but doesn't pakistan overwhelmingly support these types of responses to stuff such as blasphemy.

Well, anytime someone suggests reform, he gets lynched or murdered by his own guards.

It's a self-protecting, self-perpetuating meme when you have those kind of punishments instilled as law, whether they are on or off the books.

For comparison, the US was never able to successfully implement an anti-lynching/anti-mob violence law. Mostly because populists in government thought they would lose the votes of fanatics.

So if you want to get rid of someone in Pakistan, just make up some blasphemy shit and the local religious zealots will torture and kill them for you, in the name of God of course.

And then the President will just name a school in their honor.

Fucking insanity.

That's usually how lynchings work.

Blasphemy laws are inherently prone to abuse because the threshold (to incite violence) is so nebulous.

places like this, which i assume mostly slums and rural areas, similar to parts of Africa. They have a culture of "policing themselves"

zashga

They probably didn't expect the police to resist them. A lot of lynchings (and not just in Pakistan) take place in full view of law enforcement or local government.

Top Bottom