• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boys don skirts to back transgender pupil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quirkies/Boys_don_skirts_to_support_transgender_pupil
Teachers in Brazil who fined a transgender student for wearing a skirt have been forced to back down after her classmates - both male and female - did the same.

Maria Muniz, 17, who was born Mario Muniz, said she had never felt happy as a boy and decided to come out by wearing a skirt to school.

But her difficult decision failed to find support among teachers at the Pedro II School, in Rio de Janeiro, who fined her and ordered her to wear trousers in future.

But the teachers were forced to backtrack when the pupil's classmates - including the boys - supported her decision by turning up for classes in dresses.

They then posted the images on social media where they quickly ended up being widely shared.

Maria said: "I always turned up in trousers but I felt repressed and for me wearing a skirt was about expressing my freedom over who I am inside and not how society sees me.

"I am really happy about the way my classmates supported me and I hope it serves as an example to others to feel encouraged to do the right thing. I was always taught at school to accept who you are, I am only trying to live that."

After the protest, the Brazilian school principal said they were considering relaxing the school rules.

"The sexual orientation is not important for us, all our students are equal. However, the uniform determines male and female clothing, but we will study a new manual of coexistence", he said.

skirt_support__cen.jpg

Thought that was a great response by the students.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Great response by the kids. Heartwarming even. Things like this make me feel proud to be part of this human race again.

BowieZ

Banned
"The sexual orientation is not important for us, all our students are equal. However, the uniform determines male and female clothing, but we will study a new manual of coexistence", he said.

This is a slightly reassuring sentiment from the school, at least.

Three cheers and all of that but I still don't understand the thing about fining students. Is that just a mistranslation, instead meaning something along the lines of a detention? Or is it an actual dollar-value fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom