• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default - producer interview about genres, localization, social RPGing, etc.

May16

http://rpgland.com/tokyo-game-show/rpgland-interviews-bravely-default-producer-tomoya-asano/

Some samples:
RPGLand: So, what would you consider the fundamental characteristics of an RPG?

Mr. Asano: RPGs have three core components: battles, growth, and connection. All are very important, and we wanted to bring these three together for Bravely Default.
-Sniiip-
RPGLand: By the way, what is the difficulty level like in Bravely Default?

Mr. Asano: Hmmmm…I would describe it as casual. There is challenge, but we were trying to make a system that even people who haven’t played something like Dragon Quest would understand. We tried to make a game that, say, a 20-year old girl could play and enjoy.
-snipsnipsnip-
RPGLand: It’s like, even though it’s a single player game, you can still play “with” your friends.

Mr. Asano: Exactly! Bravely Default‘s core concept is “Minna to asobu”: everyone can play. We really wanted to bring some good aspects of the growing social game market back to the home console scene, like connecting with and helping your friends.

RPGLand: Do you think this will change the way players approach the game, or the way they use their 3DSes, outside of their normal activities?

Mr. Asano: It could. You gain benefits from connecting with friends via StreetPass, but you can also get the same benefits from browsing the internet with your 3DS, so it does encourage connecting and using your 3DS.

-snippity snippers -
RPGLand: Is there anything you’d like to say to our readers, in closing?

Mr. Asano: I know that we don’t have plans to bring the game over to America yet, but thank you for your interest in the game. Keep talking about it on Facebook and Twitter, and keep watching for new info from us!
You heard the man! He said "yet!"Pound that Twitter and Facebook so we can get this game in English!

Facebook
Twitter
(Thanks for the links, StreetsAhead)

Asano said:
We tried to make a game that, say, a 20-year old girl could play and enjoy.

jaejoong_popcorntprs3.gif

Paid for my copy weeks ago, I hope the Luxendarc Shōkikō CD doesn't delay my order too long.

Pikma

Banned
His comment is... not really that encouraging, I expected better, more concrete, news when I clicked. :/

Also, Am I the only one who's getting tired about having to wish/ask/push for localizations for so many games as of lately? It's becoming a more and more common practice not to show interest in localizations.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About the localization, I don't think he would've announced it through an interview in this way. It's a sort of "PR response", given Square hasn't announced anything yet.

May16

About the localization, I don't think he would've announced it through an interview in this way. It's a sort of "PR response", given Square hasn't announced anything yet.
Obviously, since he wasn't even asked about that.

It's encouraging to see him bring it up on his own like that.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
What exactly is the problem with the 20 year old comment? In Japan, this was a very a famous line of commercials for Mario on 3DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04lUs6NWeyo&NR=1&feature=endscreen

It shows a famous 20s actress playing and enjoying Mario. Portable games have a much wider appeal in Japan, and it is not uncommon to see young women walking around with a DS or PSP. That Square wants to hit that market as well isn't surprising.

I hope we get this game. This looks like the kind of RPG I've been wanting to play for a while. Good music, a big map overworld, beautiful setting, good character design, etc.

Battles don't look all that flashy like Golden Sun, but it still looks like fun.

The comment makes more sense when one realizes alot of the series aimed at girls over the years have changed to aim at...other demographics.

I hope its not too easy or at least features side quests or post game that really makes it challenging.

There's easy then there's panderingly insulting bribery. Hopefully it's the former.

May16

Just shaking my head at that 20 year old girl comment. What the hell is that?

He was probably saying it has a casual level of difficulty or that it can be enjoyed by all ages and that was his first example.

I mean, Pokemon "can be enjoyed by children" -- and it is, but it's also enjoyed by adults. It's a well-made game. Coincidentally, a 20 year old girl could play and enjoy Pokemon. Does that make it bad? ;)

RPGCrazied

Mostly the jRPG love gets the most love on the handhelds. Of course SE has been pretty stupid this gen. Who knows.

watershed

Banned
There's easy then there's panderingly insulting bribery. Hopefully it's the former.

As long as the main story offers some challenge, hopefully not like bosses aren't difficult or the main villain is a total badass in the story and a complete wimp in combat, then I'm fine with the true difficulty of the game being relegated to optional content. DQ IX for the ds did a great job of this; some of those grottos were absolutely brutal. Then again, I'm not even sure if there are side quests in this game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I can be a 20-year-old girl. Seriously. Just localize it, for pete's!

GhaleonQ

His comment is... not really that encouraging, I expected better, more concrete, news when I clicked. :/

Also, Am I the only one who's getting tired about having to wish/ask/push for localizations for so many games as of lately? It's becoming a more and more common practice not to show interest in localizations.

Well, I doubt that the next generation will improve on the last, calamitous one on that front, but if it does, it certainly won't be in year 1. So, beg we must!

Right. It was clear from the initial marketing that it was no hardcore number-crunching opportunity. Something can be well-designed and easy, and I hope that it's both.

wrowa

Yeah, especially given that Square Enix seems pretty okay with leaving parts of their line-up in Japan these days.

And at the same time they localize an RPG like Drakerider for iOS, which looks nice but is terribly boring.

It's frustrating.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is the second time in a within the course of a week a comment has left me less confidence in a localization I want to see.

I want to be more disappointed, but I guess it's happening so frequently now it doesn't even bother me anymore.

Buttons

One of the only games I am interested in anymore and a localisation is still not even being planned, come on SE.... I love JRPGs, just give us some good ones again in the West. >_>

Mpl90

I don't like how he just brought up the localization on his own and said they had no plans.

I don't know, I don't think it's an official confirmation or anything. He has just said what Square would have said without any official announcement, he wouldn't ever confirm the Western release in such an occasion, and at the end of an interview with a Western site,where the most important things have been said besides the last words to the fans...the Western fans.

But aside that, I firmly believe this will come over here due to it being a game with probably a good budget behind and, above all...it has SpotPass implemented in one of its most important features, the town-building one. Having just StreetPass would have shown they weren't interested to the rest of the market, given how handheld are carried everywhere in Japan while the same can't be said about us, and so it'd have handicapped one of the strongest component of the game for the other side of the world.

The fact that this isn't a no brainer for localization shows how bad the industry has gotten these last few years in regards to getting RPGs out of Japan. It's a shame.

Pikma

Banned
If this doesn't come, I'll just sell my NA XL and import a LL anyways.

But aside that, I firmly believe this will come over here due to it being a game with probably a good budget behind and, above all...it has SpotPass implemented in one of its most important features, the town-building one. Having just StreetPass would have shown they weren't interested to the rest of the market, given how handheld are carried everywhere in Japan while the same can't be said about us, and so it'd have handicapped one of the strongest component of the game for the other side of the world.

I can't see how that guarantees anything. :/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mr. Asano: I know that we don’t have plans to bring the game over to America yet, but thank you for your interest in the game. Keep talking about it on Facebook and Twitter, and keep watching for new info from us!

It's so sad that things have come to this... people having to essentially "beg" for localizations online.

Sigh...

Mpl90

Again: if the localization happens or not...we'll know it with Square announcing it. Since Square hasn't announced it, people working on it can't talk about it in interviews or else. The last bit of the interview is more to consider in the way Lord Ghirahim said.
Unfortunately, we have to wait the announcement...let's just hope we don't have too much to wait for it, let alone for the actual release :(

Top Bottom