• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break a movie by pointing out impossibilities!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

batmanbridge.jpg

Even if you forgo the fact that the timing of this thing is EXTREMELY comfortable, it's physically impossible for Batman to actually go out & buy the insane amounts of fuel, create the batsymbol in fuel, create a trail to where apparently Gordon will be for ome magical reason, have Gordon light it by accident and show the city the Bats has returned.

It would've been faster, easier, cheaper and more reliable to go buy a spotlight, mount it on a random building and shine a makeshift batsignal in the sky.

He is batman.

He had the fire batsignal prepared beforehand.

Never mind that it was a serious fire hazard, justice must be served.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Who cares because entering peoples dreams with wires is not possible to begin with.

I guess I'm in the "I dislike people that focus on plot holes" group. I'm fine with people recognizing them, but then discussing them as if you are now some arbiter of intelligence and writing just makes me want to punch a baby.

Then maybe stay out of a thread where the only purpose is to talk about plot holes?

*Looper stuff*
Pretty much every time travel movie falls victim to paradoxical issues, but most at least manage to stick to their own 'in universe' rules, even if those rules themselves are logically unsound. Looper can't even manage that much. For every condition explained in the movie, there's a scene which shits on it.

For instance, we are told, in no uncertain terms, that getting away with murder is straight up impossible in the future, hence all the time travel bullshit. The movie then shows a scene in which people do not hesitate to murder someone in the future, and cover their tracks with a spot of arson.

If the movie did stick to its own rules, there would surely have been no 'rain maker' in the original timeline, and none of the events in the movie would have happened?

How about some explanation of your opinion?

Look, would you accept it if Bane had been defeated off screen? Or Batman had flown away with the bomb off screen? I'm guessing probably not, because those things were set up as the key challenges in the plot. It would feel bizarre if they happened off screen, even though they are clearly things that Batman could do (and did).

Batman hitching a ride from somewhere in Asia all the way back to Gotham would not have been interesting to watch at all, lol.

For me, it's the same as him getting from the League of Shadows' base in the mountains to some landing strip. It surely wasn't just right down the mountains.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
there's simply no way Bennett could have survived being electrocuted by Matrix since he's also wearing a chainmail tank. NO WAY

zma1013

Ironman movies. Despite him building a near invincible suit of armor that can fly him all over the place, the insane flying moves he pulls would have him going unconscious like pilots do if they pull too many G's and/or his brain would be bouncing around inside of his own skull which would cause it to swell and he would most likely die.

Metalmarc

batmanbridge.jpg

Even if you forgo the fact that the timing of this thing is EXTREMELY comfortable, it's physically impossible for Batman to actually go out & buy the insane amounts of fuel, create the batsymbol in fuel, create a trail to where apparently Gordon will be for ome magical reason, have Gordon light it by accident and show the city the Bats has returned.

It would've been faster, easier, cheaper and more reliable to go buy a spotlight, mount it on a random building and shine a makeshift batsignal in the sky.

It may have been created by Joseph Gordon Levitt and the kids, police officers , civilians etc like a giant grafiti project,Remember when they were working together drawing bat symbols with chalk etc

Terminator
John sends Kyle back in time to save his mother Sarah, Kyle fucks Sarah, Kyle is John's father

mindblown...

entire franchise ruined

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ironman movies. Despite him building a near invincible suit of armor that can fly him all over the place, the insane flying moves he pulls would have him going unconscious like pilots do if they pull too many G's and/or his brain would be bouncing around inside of his own skull which would cause it to swell and he would most likely die.

inertial dampeners.

If he's smart enough to find/make a new type of metal that can withstand his thrusters/bullets/thor hammer and be only mm thick, a power device that can run everything despite the insane power requirement, and create "Repulsor rays", he can surely create inertial dampeners.

World War Z

Brad Pitt gonna save the world?

People singing in Israel attracts the zombies, not the dozen helicopters flying in and out of it?

Lead science dude
shoots himself in the face on accident (I lol'd)

No one else would notice
ill people weren't being eaten? Millions are sick everyday. I guess it was a miraculous day, only few people had a cough.

The Purge franchise: new US government has allowed for a twelve-hour cleansing period where laws save for high-intensity firearms and protection of government officials do not apply.

...not the New World Order.

Not even the continental government.

Just the United States. How are all these rich people fearing for their lives on Purge night when it's annualized and completely forecasted? Why not just, you know, get the fuck out of the United States for that time period? You only realistically have to be gone for twelve hours! You could just head over to Canada for a night!

EDIT: Adding on to that, do commonwealths count? Go on a summer cruise. If you're poor, just immigrate to Canada or Mexico and stay out of the country for questioning! Like, according to the movies, there's literally nothing stopping you from doing this.

NastyBook

Dead Silence - MC goes to an abandoned theater on a lake to reach a dead old lady's house there. He takes a derilict catwalk above the stage to get to the place. Next scene he appears coming from behind the curtains to head back to where he came. In the last scene of the movie, he returns to the theater and goes BACK on the catwalk, even though he clearly found an exit that took him down and through the stage. When he encounters the dead old lady and runs, he once again takes the derilict catwalk.

In the original script, they were being used a organic computation device, which made much more sense. Not that it's hard.

notthisshitagain.jpg

That's false. They were always used as "bateries". I am so tired of correcting this misconception that when I get around making The Matrix Trilogy OT (aka never) this will be #1 on the FAQ.

Grakl

Face-Off: This movie has so many plot holes.
* Face transplants occours in such a nice way that patients don't have scars or need any kind of teraphy. It's just like changing clothes.
* A super dangerous criminal is left alone in a room because he's in coma. In reallity that kind of criminals'd have survillance all the time.
* A single man (excuse me: Nicolas Cage) is able to defent/kill all the personal and destroy an entire gov facility that's so secret that nobody knows where it is or what they're doing.

Seriously this movie should have ended at the first 15 minutes.

These aren't plot holes though.

Cagey

Banned
For me one scene stood out. Right before Clooney is drifting of they grab onto something but tracktion keeps pulling them, but shouldn't they come to a complete stop without gravity?

The Dark Knight Rises: Even though the cops are trapped in the underground for months they don't grow beards. They all get out clean shaved.

Clean shaven, fully ironed and pressed uniforms, totally not pale from months away from sunlight, not malnourished in the slightest (I get they're slipping food down there but lol), rested and relaxed.

Like the whole NYPD went to Club Med on vacation, rather than imprisoned in the subway system.

Psykoboy2

Back to the Future Part 2 - When biff steals the book and goes back in time to give himself it wouldn't he travel back into a new timeline? How is it that he goes back in time to the exact same timeline but when Marty and Doc go back they end up in the split timeline.

Old Biff went to 1955 and gave the book to Young Biff.

Marty & Doc went back to 1985 - where Biff had already used the book to his advantage.

rtcn63

Fixed that for you.

Pretty much. I'd highly recommend reading the About Time books, which (at least in the earlier volumes) have a "Things That Don't Make Sense" section for each story, focusing on the inconsistent and implausible. (Scientifically and canonically within the series)

Sephzilla

Back to the Future Part 2 - When biff steals the book and goes back in time to give himself it wouldn't he travel back into a new timeline? How is it that he goes back in time to the exact same timeline but when Marty and Doc go back they end up in the split timeline.

This is actually explained in a deleted scene. The changes to the timeline hadn't caught up to Old Biff or the 2015 Future yet. In the deleted scene when Old Biff gets out of the DeLorean he's actually in pain and he starts fading away (like how Marty starts fading away in BTTF1), because the timeline has begun changing. So when Marty and Doc go back to 1985, the timeline changes had caught up to 1985 but not to 2015 yet.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Every fictional movie ever..almost the thread?

All fictional settings are considered "Like reality UNLESS NOTED".
If there's a note that the rules of the fiction universe is different, then it's not a plot hole.
It's a plot hole if the rules of the universe the story is set in do not allow an event of the story - not if they go against the real world rules.

DaveH

This thread is to point out things that just can't be massaged away. You can love or hate the movie but try not to just post a bunch of nitpicks to shit on something.

Man of Steel. Zod's imprisonment and release. How come Zod and his male soldiers show obvious visible aging with grey hair, yet Faora and the other ladies still look delicious as summer Barbecue even though 30 years has passed for all involved?
I don't know that your nitpick meets your own criteria. Zod doesn't show "obvious" aging since he doesn't have the soul patch at the beginning of the film (the grey hairs). The fact that they're genetically modified aliens who spent time in a phantom dimension and traveling at super-luminal speeds provides more than enough "massage" to address the alleged issue in arguendo.

Superman struggles to fly away from the black hole yet Lois can fall away from it with ease because.....?
"So if we open up this doorway......then theoretically they should be pulled back in." This sentence is the key because it says "they" (so the Kryptonians specifically, not just any and all matter) and "back" implies it's creating an effect that returns them to where they've been.

I agree this isn't carefully spelled out in the film, but I think this was a case of "show don't tell" where you can deduce that things that have been in the Phantom Zone would be more greatly attracted to the "singularity" (created by the colliding active Phantom Drives- the active requirement is why "How It Should Have Ended" proposed alternative doesn't work).

Kal-El rode to Earth in a Phantom Drive vehicle, as did Zod in the Black Zero. Obviously, Zod and company were also jailed in the Phantom Zone and Superman took a bath in the World Engine's gravity beam, enhanced by the Black Zero's Phantom Drive ("Bring the phantom drive online. We are now slave to the world engine.") just like the debris around the Metropolis strike zone... all of which can justify how they're distinguishable from Lois and her ability to freefall.

As well as the infamous
Father death scene with the tornado
absolutely stupid in every way.
Mark Waid literally said he wishes he had written that scene. Reasonable minds will differ, this isn't a logic / continuity issue.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Old Biff went to 1955 and gave the book to Young Biff.

Marty & Doc went back to 1985 - where Biff had already used the book to his advantage.

the problem is that old biff, after giving young biff the book, jumped back in the Delorian and jumped forward in time to 2015. Where he exited the car and fainted.

Why did he appear back in the normal 2015 timeline if he had just changed the 1955 timeline?

Valhelm

contribute something
The Matrix-Humans wouldn't make great batteries

Pacific Rim-Jaegers wouldn't be able to support their own weight

Doctor Who-Towing the Earth back to its orbit would have killed everyone on the surface instead of causing mild earthquakes.

Could you clarify these?

Sephzilla

the problem is that old biff, after giving young biff the book, jumped back in the Delorian and jumped forward in time to 2015. Where he exited the car and fainted.

Why did he appear back in the normal 2015 timeline if he had just changed the 1955 timeline?

The changes to the timeline didn't reach 2015 yet. BTTF's version of time travel establishes that changes to the timeline don't immediately effect the future, it has kind of a "ripple effect" that takes longer to affect events depending how further away it is from the event. This is why Marty doesn't immediately vanish away the moment he screws up his parents meeting up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The sheer amount of these problems in the dark knight rises is hilarious. Bruce breaking his spine a thousand times, bruce walking on the ocean ice, but the biggest for me has always been. How the fuck did they get those bikes in the stock exchange without anybody noticing?

Sephzilla

The sheer amount of these problems in the dark knight rises is hilarious.

TDKR just feels so phoned in compared to the first two movies when you look at how much that movie falls apart upon analysis.

Why is very obvious public theft at the stock exchange allowed to stand and not be immediately reverted back, and why does Bruce lose power at his home almost immediately?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
TDKR just feels so phoned in compared to the first two movies when you look at how much that movie falls apart upon analysis.

Why is very obvious public theft at the stock exchange allowed to stand and not be immediately reverted back, and why does Bruce lose power at his home almost immediately?

How did Bruce know that the cops would corner him perfectly into that alleway... does he just stash massive vehicles in random alleyways that nobody has ever noticed? You mean to tell me nobody has ever noticed that gigantic vehicle?! How come Bruce so easily walks in and out of the city? How come marion cotillard has a death animation?

Speaking to phoning it in, about 65% percent of the movie is a montage, or on fast forward.

Wazzy

Banned
it's how love works tho

I was going to bring that one up but my god it's the best scene in the film. Just everyone laughing for a good minute. Love Fast 6.

Another one is the vault scene in 5 which is literally impossible. Still loved it of course.

Sephzilla

How did Bruce know that the cops would corner him perfectly into that alleway... does he just stash massive vehicles in random alleyways that nobody has ever noticed? You mean to tell me nobody has ever noticed that gigantic vehicle?! How come Bruce so easily walks in and out of the city? How come marion cotillard has a death animation?

Speaking to phoning it in, about 65% percent of the movie is a montage, or on fast forward.

how does bruce get from bane's prison back to gotham with no money and no idea of where he is

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
how does bruce get from bane's prison back to gotham with no money and no idea of where he is

No idea where he is, disoriented, a spine 10 times broken and only healed by some voodoo and pushups/situps. How does he get so cleaned up in that time? Why does he ruin alfreds life at the end? It was selfish and he took the story too literally.

Adding on to this, the main woman's dad gets sucked out into the tornado from their bunker at the start because he's holding the door shut. If he just said fuck the door and went and stood beside his wife, daughter and dog he'd still be alive.

Adding to this, if Joe and Bill sruvived the first tornado by staying in his truck, why did Joe save the other dude when he was hunched down in his truck at the drive-in and risk life and limb just to go somewhere else?

That movie, I swear...it's irresponsible.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In the first Shrek movie, the end has all the characters gathered around for the closing credits. Even though it's a cartoon and has an ogre as the lead, I couldn't get past the fact when they all blew up some balloons from their own lungs, the balloons floated away. I wrote the series off at that point.
That bugged me too, but seriously, that's what makes you write it off?

Maybe it's hot air. Hot air rises. Boom, now the logic makes sense.
Not really.

DaveH

Every Superman movie

A pair of glasses makes you a new person
The man can turn back time, give you amnesia with a kiss, rebuild walls with his eyes, and push continents together... I think some sort of glamor ability that interacts with glasses is well within the scope of those reality shifting powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom