• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
I personally will think it the greatest show ever if Jesse kills Walt and finds some kind of personal redemption, makes some kind of massive score and gets the hell out. I want Jesse to 'win' breaking bad.

Are they done with the cancer thing? Wouldn't really like a relapse situation killing walt. Think it was good to get him motivated to start and I like that he's 'well' now and can never go back.

I thought the last we heard about it was that it was relapsing.

I think Walt dying alone of cancer after everyone abandons him, still believing he was a hero, is probably the most poetic ending, but it might be a little too dark. I'd take Jesse killing him as a runner up.

Can I jump to the defence of those who believe the Gus moment was completely incongruous with the rest of the show? For some people, the plane crash was a problem; for others, the Terminator twins; for me, it was Gus' tie-adjust-then-die moment. I thought the explosion itself was cool, I'd even have liked them to have done the half-face moment, but if he instead stumbled out rather than cooly walking out and adjusting his tie. Yes, shock might be able to do that to a person, but it still seemed cartoonish.

And - for the record - I fucking love Fly, let's start another argument about that :D

"plane"
This was fine.
"Terminator twins"
This was dumb.
"Gus death."
This was really dumb.
"Fly"
This was awesome.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I think Walt dying alone of cancer after everyone abandons him, still believing he was a hero, is probably the most poetic ending, but it might be a little too dark.

That would be an amazing ending to this series. Unless the writers come up with something even better, every other possible ending is going to come second to this one. I'm not so sure I would have him believe he was a hero, necessarily though. I think he is coming to the realization that he is a bad guy.

Another thing I noticed that shows how evil Walt can be is that he obviously considers Jesse a son. When Jr. came in to check on his father on his 16th birthday and, once he found his father, he put him to bed. Walt calls out to Jr. as "Jesse." I loved that moment and I wonder what Jr. thought of it, if anything at all. Despite that, Walt is still willing to use Jesse to fulfill his own means even though he needs Jesse.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
IMO, This series ends with it all unraveling, the lies about why Walt quit his school job, what he did to Jane, and subsequently that will be revealed to be the whole reason behind the 737's crashing, poisoning the little boy with the white flowers, etc. And when Jr. Find out, oh man. XD

I expect the series to end with Walt's cancer finally finishing him off, right after everything unravels. It sounds to me like it would be the perfect ending.

If Vince Gilligan and the writers can muster up something more surprising and satisfying then that, then my hats go off to them.

If Walt JR finds out breakfast will never be the same for the kid.

nitewulf

since eveyone is expecting and hoping Jesse to kill Walt, i think that wont happen. in fact he might even get away, and not die, as an ultimate "screw you" to the audience.

Guys...What if....

Jesse gets cancer

a3a.gif

LM4sure

Banned
hopefully no episodes in the final season are taken up by crap like the fly. worst episode of any show i've ever seen ever ever ever

hopefully no episodes in the final season are taken up by crap like the fly. worst episode of any show i've ever seen ever ever ever

Then you must have seen less than 2 shows in your life.
Although I'm not the biggest fan of that episode I do remember the acting was superb.

LM4sure

Banned
Then you must have seen less than 2 shows in your life.
Although I'm not the biggest fan of that episode I do remember the acting was superb.

acting was subpar. he was trying to kill a fly the entire episode. seems like a pretty easy gig. just act frustrated and swat at an imaginary fly a few times. wasted talent.

jonezer4

I personally will think it the greatest show ever if Jesse kills Walt and finds some kind of personal redemption, makes some kind of massive score and gets the hell out. I want Jesse to 'win' breaking bad.

Are they done with the cancer thing? Wouldn't really like a relapse situation killing walt. Think it was good to get him motivated to start and I like that he's 'well' now and can never go back.

It would be cool if Jesse mercy kills Walt to stop his suffering or impending incarceration, and would round out his descent into darkness nicely as well. Walt absolutely has to die, there is no question. But instead of giving Jesse a rosy happy ending riding out into the sunset, I think he has to have an ironic ending: he gets away with it but has to kill his friend/mentor who has become a monster first. One thing I think is certain is that as a direct result of Walt's journey into pure evil, Jesse will have to turn on him. He's always been the misguided guy that under a rough surface and beyond a lot of difficult choices is still a decent human being. He has a conscious that Walt lacks and in the end that must tear them apart.

since eveyone is expecting and hoping Jesse to kill Walt, i think that wont happen. in fact he might even get away, and not die, as an ultimate "screw you" to the audience.

That will never happen. You can't turn Mr. Chips into Scarface and have Scarface get off scot-free. Gilligan's set a tone for the series that states undeniably that this will not end well for Walt. The fun and brilliance will be in exactly "how" it doesn't end well for him, but to renege on the entire crux of the show simply to go against audience expectations is cheap and he won't do it. He's indirectly promised the audience that Walt will either die or at the very least his life will be completely ruined and he'll wish he was dead; how he gets there can have any number of twists and turns that will surprise and engage the audience, but he will get there.

Fly is not the best and far from the worst episode.I'd like to see one similar again.
True. I think the acting was superb, it has to be to carry an entire episode with two characters in a room, but the premise was fundamentally flawed. Walt didn't really show any signs of this kind of OCD behavior prior, nor did he have a good reason to show it then. If they would have set it up in a previous episode, I think it would have worked better, or if he had some kind of reveal that really made it his behavior make genuine sense near the end. They kind of accomplished this with the "it's all contaminated" line, which was brilliant and I'd argue validates the episode alone. But the steps he took to reach that realization just weren't in line with much anything else in the series so as a whole it seemed forced.

acting was subpar. he was trying to kill a fly the entire episode. seems like a pretty easy gig. just act frustrated and swat at an imaginary fly a few times. wasted talent.
This sounds like "writing was subpar" more than the acting. I don't think the acting ever came off as disingenuous, and on the surface the writing was really well done. It had to be hard to have constant turns in the mere act of catching a fly but there were many. It just lacked a solid foundation and I think that is people's real problem with, if only on a subconscious level. The episode was very character driven, which is fine, but not predicated on a weak plot. I think that type of episode was really well placed, however, as getting to know Walt and Jesse and their relation helped to strengthen our empathy for them in the pivotal final episodes of the season that followed.

Az

You are wrong and should feel bad. Not the best episode but far from worst.

pigeon

Banned
That will never happen. You can't turn Mr. Chips into Scarface and have Scarface get off scot-free. Gilligan's set a tone for the series that states undeniably that this will not end well for Walt. The fun and brilliance will be in exactly "how" it doesn't end well for him, but to renege on the entire crux of the show simply to go against audience expectations is cheap and he won't do it. He's indirectly promised the audience that Walt will either die or at the very least his life will be completely ruined and he'll wish he was dead; how he gets there can have any number of twists and turns that will surprise and engage the audience, but he will get there.

This is really fascinating to me because I never once interpreted the show as suggesting that Walt was going to end up dead. He just keeps getting away with stuff so far! My hypothetical ending for the series has definitely been Walt killing Jesse, not the other way around. I think Walt is going to lose or abandon his family and killing Jesse will be the last step into being a pure evil drug lord running his own cartel. I'd be interested in what points in the series you think make the other direction seem more likely.

Sean

Banned
Uhh... I really hope AMC isn't airing that during Breaking Bad re-runs.

Yeah, it's a neat tagline and all but I'm surprised AMC released a promo with such a huge spoiler. It'd really suck to be catching up on the just released DVD's or re-runs and then see that commercial.

Dreaver

Finished watching season 4 today. I think I started about 1½ month ago with Season 1. I love the series. One of (if not the) best drama series I've seen.
I loved all seasons, though I had sometimes had the feeling there wasn't a real build up towards a climax. It just feels like one big story split in 4 different seasons. I think Gus was a great villain. The two-face VFX were pretty good.

The first two episodes of season 2 are my favorites I think (where Walt and Jessie get abducted by the Mexican dude). So intense. It really felt like those 2 episodes where supposed to be in season 1...

Great cast, especially Bryan Cranston is a great actor. I love how Walt starts as a 'father on auto-pilot' and is pretty bad ass later on.

The only think I found really really lame was the airplane crash. It felt so incredible stupid and out of place. I also found the two Mexican cousins pretty meh.

Anyways bring on season 5! Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom