• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 4 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

idspispopd
As far as Walter always being this way, I dunno about that. He was a good husband, a good father. Look at the tape he makes in the pilot where he is saying goodbye to his family. He sounds like he genuinely tried to do something to help them out since he loved them.

He has since changed a lot though. He isnt the same person now at all.

And then we find out that the thing he was doing to 'help his family' was put them in danger by making their father and husband a criminal and a drug dealer, when he was offered perfectly legal help for both himself and his family.

Everything he's done, he's done out of pride and selfishness. If it's not him saving his family all on his own, it's not worth it. It has to be HIM.

kehs

Banned
At that point he still had cancer and in his mind he was doing something to help his family out financially. No?

He had just attempted to kill two guys after failing to sell them meth.

Failed to off himself, then decided to commit suicide by cops and include a little note about the tape not been a confession of guilt.

Dude has always been self absorbed and too selfish to swallow his pride.

I've caught up with Breaking Bad over the course of this year, and it seemed apparent to me that the show's main concern is exploring how monstrous a "normal" person can become. I think it's less about whether Walter was ever really a "nice guy" and more about how the worst in all of us can metastasize (*ahem*) given the right circumstances.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I always took Walt as being sick of people not taking him seriously. Hank emasculates him in front of everyone when he was holding the gun at the party. Then Walt Jr. calls him a pussy for giving into his cancer. Heisenberg is Walt's masculine fantasy. The only time he's intimate with Skylar is when he comes home from cooking or a drug deal. The adrenaline that comes as result of being a fucking badass is intoxicating to him, and now he's completely consumed by it.

I also like how Walt vacillates from being a badass to a wuss. He flips whenever it's convenient. If he's Walter, he'll act meek, as expected from a middle-class suburban school teacher, but when someone takes that as a sign to walk all over him, he'll become threatening, which a lot of these white collar guys don't know how to deal with. If he's Heisenberg, he'll act like a badass to maintain a level footing with the gangs he's dealing with, but as soon as they get they drop on him, he starts sniveling and turns into the suburban school teacher. I think that's smart, because the gangsters come from a culture where everyone needs to show dominance at all time, so when Walt turns school teacher, they just don't know how to react to it, giving him back the tactical advantage. Everyone underestimates him, and that's fatal, because Walt is a stone cold killer, despite his appearances. He'll fuck over anyone to survive.

His real brilliance is how he's able to flip that switch and act desperate or tough from one moment to the next. He can even flip in front of people the second someone else leaves or enters a room, and make it seem like he's never lost control. He can manipulate people through their fear of him, or their fear for him. He's the most fascinating character on TV.

Amir0x

Banned
And then we find out that the thing he was doing to 'help his family' was put them in danger by making their father and husband a criminal and a drug dealer, when he was offered perfectly legal help for both himself and his family.

Everything he's done, he's done out of pride and selfishness. If it's not him saving his family all on his own, it's not worth it. It has to be HIM.

I always find it slightly unsettling just how much people try to justify the frankly unjustifiable things Walt has done.

Letting that girl vomit to death? "oh, she deserved it - she would probably have killed Jesse!" Well, it's Jesse's responsibility to make sure he is healthy... as a human being, it's your responsible to save someone when you see them dying, not wonder about the hypothetical scenarios that might play out afterwards. The ability for Walt to sit there and do nothing just encapsulates him as a monster, to say nothing of the fact that he wasn't letting her die to 'save Jesse.' He was letting her die because she was in the way. And that's the same as everything he does.

Killing multiple people to cover your drug-dealing tracks or save you drug-dealing skin? "oh, it's kill or be killed! These murderers know what they're in for when they're in this world!" So that makes it less morally reprehensible? It just means Walt is completely complicit in this world of monsters, it doesn't somehow make the acts less monstrous!

Poisoning a child with a poison that is known to kill people and be VERY finicky with how much it takes to kill someone, to say nothing of allergies? "Oh Walt is a chemist I'm sure he was able to accurately gauge the probabilities and determine it was unlikely the boy would have died!" I mean, that's what it's down to... it's ok with very nearly killing a child because Walt "probably" knew that it was unlikely to kill the boy. This argument would hold up in a court of law and ALSO would be deemed not monstrous at all!

Putting his entire family at risk when he could have taken a legitimate route to fix his financial problems? (It is at this moment the the last plausible defenses of Walt's behavior evaporated; if anyone had any question before as to why he was doing this, there was none after) "Well, I mean... those people stole his work! How would you react!?" I mean, seriously.

Given what this show has demonstrated about Walt's pride, it's likely he wasn't even in the right on that subject of his partners and the work they were contributing on. It's likely Walt just took up and left because of his pride and they just picked up the pieces behind him. Walt likes to act like all his life he was a victim, but that's a really overly simplistic explanation.

Walt is a monster. One can determine they still want to 'root' for a monster, but an irredeemable monster he remains, and there's no question about it.

Mistle

A new promo pic was posted on BB's Facebook fanpage

376942_10151025111662722_34635987_n.jpg

:lol
haha i love that this was posted by the official page

Amir0x

Banned
So, any predictions on just how far Skylar will go before she says enough is enough? Is she all in? Has what Walt just did to Gus finally allowed her to realize once and for all that she is playing with fire?

I am wondering if as a character she will contribute to Walt's downfall or simply fall with him until the bitter end.

My final prediction is that ultimately Jesse will be the one to take Walt down, sometime shortly after he finds out what Walt did to the kid.

Fry

So, any predictions on just how far Skylar will go before she says enough is enough? Is she all in? Has what Walt just did to Gus finally allowed her to realize once and for all that she is playing with fire?

It depends on how far Walt is still willing to go. I don't think Skyler will be filled in about everything he does, anyway.

Are they using different cameras for season 5 or something? I just saw a tv spot with new footage (one featuring
Mike
) and it looked different, like cleaner.

I am wondering if as a character she will contribute to Walt's downfall or simply fall with him until the bitter end.

My final prediction is that ultimately Jesse will be the one to take Walt down, sometime shortly after he finds out what Walt did to the kid.

I'm guessing that she may leave Walter for the first half of the season, which will allow Jesse and Walter to rebuild (or would it simply be build) their drug operation while also allowing more time to be spent with Hank. With the reduced episodes I think a reduction in characters would allow them to preserve their slow but steady pace, building each story for four episodes and then have the final four episodes (of the first part) to resolve what was set up. It seems to me that Part 1 will be focused on Walter vs Hank, the reason I believe this is that I absolutely concur with your "final prediction", that Walter will die by Jesse's hand (or at the very least, Jesse will be the one to finally 'end it') and thus it would make more sense (to me) for Walter vs Hank to be the first part of season 5. With Hank disposed of (or out of the picture, I'm not sure what his faith will be since most people seem to suspect that Walter will kill him and as such I'm not sure if they'll go down the predictable path) Skyler will then return more prominently in the final part of season 5 and that will focus on Skyler, Walter and Jesse, just as the first season did, combined with the destruction of Walter's business (and if Jesse doesn't kill him I'm predicting he'll be the one to terminate their business as Walter waits to die alone with cancer).

However, in saying this I'm quite sure, because I'm predicting this to be a broad outline of events, it probably won't happen on the basis of how well the show is able to twist and turn, avoiding the obvious paths yet always going in a direction that seems plausable given what has occured within the show.

Jimothy

I think Skylar was all in when she became implicit in laundering Walt's meth money.

I'm not sure Walt will be taken down at all. Gilligan said they wrote the ending for Season 4 thinking they might not have a Season 5 and said he would've been perfectly happy had the show ended that way.

They could end the show with Walt on "top".

Puddles

Banned
What details do we know about Gretchen and Walter to say definitely that it was Walter who fucked up their relationship and his research?

As far as Walter always being this way, I dunno about that. He was a good husband, a good father. Look at the tape he makes in the pilot where he is saying goodbye to his family. He sounds like he genuinely tried to do something to help them out since he loved them.

He has since changed a lot though. He isnt the same person now at all.

He's still mostly the same person, IMO. I don't think it requires a moral compromise to stick with Team Walt. An example of a moral compromise would be something like rooting for LeBron James. Wanting to see one of the best characters on tv pull through isn't even in the same ballpark.v

I'm not sure Walt will be taken down at all. Gilligan said they wrote the ending for Season 4 thinking they might not have a Season 5 and said he would've been perfectly happy had the show ended that way.

The show should end with Walt talking to Saul about his multi-million dollar estate in Bora Bora and the details of his overseas bank account. Then a shot of Walt, Skyler and Walt Jr. on a plane, watching the in-flight movie and laughing. Then cut to sunset.jpg. Then credits.

Amir0x

Banned

god i hope it doesn't end with anything as awful as Walt being "on top." He has to pay, one way or the other.

Slo

Reading some of this thread for the first time now that I'm caught up and don't have to avoid spoilers, and I'm really sort of surprised by the venom towards WW. To me BB is the story of a suburban sissy man who made a really bad decision and immediately found himself in WAY over his head, and from that point on was constantly acting out of desperation. It seemed like Walt was constantly being put in a position where he had to choose between crossing some moral line that he'd set for himself or having it all come crashing down on him and his family. And every time he chose to cross the line, as I probably would too, which both helped him out in the short term, but also put him even further in over his head, and quickly brought him to another even darker decision to make.

I'm not saying that he's a good guy, but I am saying that I can relate to the choices he made as he made them, and I'm entertained to watch a guy gradually digress from school teacher to Darth Vader without ever having a true "turn to the dark side" moment. He doesn't see himself as a villain. It's very relate-able.

god i hope it doesn't end with anything as awful as Walt being "on top." He has to pay, one way or the other.

Its plausible they go that route. Hear me out.

Gilligan has said he wants to keep pushing Walter further and further. Having him do more and more questionable shit. He wants the viewers to ask themselves if they can keep liking a guy who's done all these reprehensible things.

If the writers really wanted the viewers to be in a moral dilemma, they could have Walter do more fucked up shit than ever and have him come out on top with money, power and fame.

Will the viewers get disgusted with the outcome (knowing he "escaped") or do you feel happy for the dude (I know where you stand)?

I think that'd be kinda cool.

Agreed. My prediction is that this season gets bigger and smaller at the same time. Bigger as in Walt has to contend with whoever Gus's bosses were and the giant hole his death leaves in their revenue.

By smaller I mean that Walt Jr. and Skyler have gotten off really easily thus far. I expect to see their lives very seriously threatened or have the meth-side of Walt's life touch them more directly than it has thus far.

Its plausible they go that route. Hear me out.

Gilligan has said he wants to keep pushing Walter further and further. Having him do more and more questionable shit. He wants the viewers to ask themselves if they can keep liking a guy who's done all these reprehensible things.

If the writers really wanted the viewers to be in a moral dilemma, they could have Walter do more fucked up shit than ever and have him come out on top with money, power and fame.

Will the viewers get disgusted with the outcome (knowing he "escaped") or do you feel happy for the dude (I know where you stand)?

I think that'd be kinda cool.
I feel you mang, could go either way. I still think it will be his cancer that kills him in the end.

i expect walt to end up being the cause of Skylars death.

I hope the way walt 'pays' for all the shit he's done isn't by the way of his death. I hope it's something like all the people around him die, including his nfant daughter, that would really fuck him up.

big ander

Reading some of this thread for the first time now that I'm caught up and don't have to avoid spoilers, and I'm really sort of surprised by the venom towards WW. To me BB is the story of a suburban sissy man who made a really bad decision and immediately found himself in WAY over his head, and from that point on was constantly acting out of desperation. It seemed like Walt was constantly being put in a position where he had to choose between crossing some moral line that he'd set for himself or having it all come crashing down on him and his family. And every time he chose to cross the line, as I probably would too, which both helped him out in the short term, but also put him even further in over his head, and quickly brought him to another even darker decision to make.

I'm not saying that he's a good guy, but I am saying that I can relate to the choices he made as he made them, and I'm entertained to watch a guy gradually digress from school teacher to Darth Vader without ever having a true "turn to the dark side" moment. He doesn't see himself as a villain. It's very relate-able.
Eh, he's acted out of desperation at times but he's also very often given the chance to redeem himself or to remain moral while protecting his family. He could have gotten his head back above water at any point up through Crawl Space.

Amir0x

Banned
Reading some of this thread for the first time now that I'm caught up and don't have to avoid spoilers, and I'm really sort of surprised by the venom towards WW. To me BB is the story of a suburban sissy man who made a really bad decision and immediately found himself in WAY over his head, and from that point on was constantly acting out of desperation. It seemed like Walt was constantly being put in a position where he had to choose between crossing some moral line that he'd set for himself or having it all come crashing down on him and his family. And every time he chose to cross the line, as I probably would too, which both helped him out in the short term, but also put him even further in over his head.

I'm not saying that he's a good guy, but I am saying that I can relate to the choices he made as he made them, and I'm entertained to watch a guy gradually digress from school teacher to Darth Vader without every having a true "turn to the dark side" moment. He doesn't see himself as a villain. It's very relate-able.

I have to say that no matter how long I watch this show, I'm consistently amazed at how people just simply fail to see all the obvious signs about Walt's true character. I mean, they're not even hiding it.

There's interpretation and then there's interpretation; without being too unkind, there's literally no room at all for your view of Walter White. The show continually shows Walter White for who he is, a monster whose pride has consumed him to the point where he's willing to risk his family for some sense of power. What's worse, though, is that you suggest you would have done the same thing in his shoes. Is this really how people view the world? When you see a horrible monster with multiple murders on his hands, do you say 'well he was doing it to secure a financial future for his family?' Of course not. It's just a monster complicit with his monstrosity.

There may have been some extremely tiny period where Walt was doing it for his family, but I do mean EXTREMELY tiny period. He had multiple legitimate opportunities to leave the meth cooking world for good, to secure a financial future for his family and for his disease, and he refused. Because of his pride. Even though he has repeatedly been shown just the type of risk the life is to his family, he doesn't care. On MULTIPLE OCCASIONS he would rather allow someone to get closer to 'uncovering his secret' then allow some other person to take credit for his work. Hank thought he had well and truly solved the meth cook case; Walt was so prideful that he couldn't let it go. He had to literally put Hank back on HIS trail so that he wouldn't have to suffer the indignity of someone else getting credit for his 'genius' meth formula.

And as to the Walt doesn't see himself as a villain, I'm not even sure THAT's true anymore. When Walt was masculating himself, "I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS", it was implicit in his tone and words that he IS taking the mantle of the villain. He was saying the Skylar: "I am the one with balls, I am the one who people should fear."

Breaking Bad is not the story of an 'urban sissy man.' It's the story of someone whose pride was allowed to fester until it became its own sort of disease; a man who needed cancer to unlock the monster he always truly was.

It is possible to 'relate' to him, perhaps, but the point people are making about Walter White's horrific character... the fact that he IS a villain and he IS a monster... is 100% correct.

And let it be known that this is OK. That's what makes the character fascinating. You call it 'venom', but it's not. If Walter White was any other way, he wouldn't be interesting. But a monster he is.

What worries me is that some people say they would have done the same things he did. Which just tells me we have true sociopaths on GAF.

Slo

I have to say that no matter how long I watch this show, I'm consistently amazed at how people just simply fail to see all the obvious signs about Walt's true character. I mean, they're not even hiding it.

There's interpretation and then there's interpretation; without being too unkind, there's literally no room at all for your view of Walter White.

LOL. Just who the hell do you think you are?

kehs

Banned

I don't see how she can fall any further she's the devil incarnate.

Fry

Walt doesn't create trouble; he gets into them. That alone should tell you he's not an evil man per choice.

You mean the episode after he traded his son-figure's soul and had him murder an innocent just so he could live?

Of all the examples you could have went with.... lol okay dude, so you'd lay down and die so your "son-figure's" soul could remain untarnished? It was his only option.

What worries me is that some people say they would have done the same things he did. Which just tells me we have true sociopaths on GAF.

Put in some of the same situations Walter got put in, I honesty believe I would have done the same things. Of course yes it was Walt's monstrous pride that put him in those situations, but in the end he did make the decisions to save his family. Gus was going to stamp Walter and all of his family out. The only choice he could think of was to get Jesse on his side to stop Gus and that required poisoning Brock to do it. Was it a monstrous move that was done because of Walt's own pride and stupidity that led Jesse to turn on him and side with Gus? Yes? Was it also one of the only ways to save his family's ass? Yes.

As to the Jane thing. If the same circumstances had happened where I was standing there watching my best friend who was about to kill himself with drugs, I can't honestly say that I would have saved Jane either.

The real issue I have with Walt goes back to the decision to deny Gretchen's cancer funding. He had a chance to put an end to it all right there but chose not to do to pride.He also had the choice to deny Gus and not work in his laboratory to begin with. So, no I don't see Walt as some kind of monster who deliberately sets out to hurt people. I see him as having monstrous pride that is a danger to all those around him. For me, it's not about rooting for him when he makes dumb decisions. It's more about rooting somehow that he manages a way to not endanger people around him anymore.

You mean the episode after he traded his son-figure's soul and had him murder an innocent just so he could live?

Oh please, we all would have done the same thing as Walt. Jesse created that situation all by himself, and Walt bailed him out of it. And you could tell there was definite hesitation from Walt about doing that. He wasn't even going to make Jesse kill him , but he had no choice since they were both going to die otherwise.

Slo

I'm impressed if you're really that virtuous. If you ever really have to make a decision like that, I'm sure they'll write very nice things about you at your funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom