• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buddy sold his Chromecast, forgot to remove account. Danger?

Stafford

I am asking this for my friend because he's going nuts over here. He has sold his Chromecast 4K Google TV and totally forgot to reset and/or remove his account. He immediately changed his Google password and he's already using 2 step verification for years.

He immediately contacted the buyer, but no response. But if a Chromecast is used by a different IP address, shouldn't it give my friend a notification that someone is trying to log in? I mean he changed his password right away, and on his Google devices such as his TV and phone he immediately received a notice about changed password.

All should be well? He can't access the main menu, use the apps like Prime, Netflix Disney etc?

And I guess the buyer will have to reset the Chromecast?

Last edited:

Stafford

Should he not be able to unlink it from his google account if he goes into the devices section? Should be able to do a similar thing with Netflix etc.

Unlink via Google account settings.

Yeah, he logged into his Google account, security, manage all devices and there were two sessions for Google Chromecast Google TV, both were logged out. That must have happened right after he changed his password. All should be well then.

I had an issue like this when logging on an Airbnb to the TV. Even if you log out of all devices, the device can still have the session "cached", so i had to reset it to remove any session from it. I am not sure what else it could do with that, but for instance while doing some testing, this device (not chromecast) was able to log in into Netflix and Prime video even with the log out all devices from my Google account.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Obligatory
Tell your friend
agAiWA7.gif

Stafford

I had an issue like this when logging on an Airbnb to the TV. Even if you log out of all devices, the device can still have the session "cached", so i had to reset it to remove any session from it. I am not sure what else it could do with that, but for instance while doing some testing, this device (not chromecast) was able to log in into Netflix and Prime video even with the log out all devices from my Google account.

But without the device here he can't reset it. Ah well, all passwords were changed too, so all should be well anyway now.

Top Bottom