• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulldozers destroy 3,200-year-old Mayan pyramid in Belize

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterno69

Banned
You know the stone with the writing where they got the whole 2012 end of the world shit? Well that was found in an area near where i live in Tabasco, Mexico. Well that area is almost gone today for the same reasons, gravel extraction.

The problem is, pyramids are not there to be discovered just like that, most archeological places are buried under tons of shit, sadly most of this archeological places are in third world countries and there's not money to unravel them, they are often found in private land too and sometimes the owners are stupid enough to do things like that.

It sounds like the government didn't approve it, considering they're looking at prosecutions.

True as it may be, but from the article itself:

OP's Article said:
Archaeologists said this was not the first incident of its kind.

"Bulldozing Maya mounds for road fill is an endemic problem in Belize," Prof Normand Hammond told the Associated Press news agency.

Either the punishments are not harsh enough, the laws are not strict enough, the enforcement is not rigorous enough, or there may even be corruption and bribes under the table to get officials to look the other way.

Whether the government approves of it is one thing, but actually doing something to stop it is another.

Terrible news. When I heard about this yesterday I was distraught. Excavators also destroyed the Nazca Lines last month too. These people that are driven by money and see themselves above and beyond the law make me sick. They're not just destroying a bunch of rocks, it's thousands of years of ancient heritage.

MrHicks

Banned
does "CAT" have a monopoly on construction equipment for what???
every crane/bulldozer/etc its always those yellow cats

Steelrain

The beginning of the end. WE NEED SAND YO, GOTTA DESTROY THE PAST.

What a wonderful species we are. :D

I really do not want to be rude (usually some rude stuff comes after this), but I will assume that the one actually doing this wasnot amongst the brightest when it comes to forward thinking.

Man I wish we could be an awesome species and keep every old ass piece of shit rock we ever touched around for eternity. Maybe we'll learn to give a damn someday.

Joqu

What a shame. We have already destroyed so many amazing things, can't we take care of what's left? :(
Übermatik;57655084 said:
Terrible news. When I heard about this yesterday I was distraught. Excavators also destroyed the Nazca Lines last month too. These people that are driven by money and see themselves above and beyond the law make me sick. They're not just destroying a bunch of rocks, it's thousands of years of ancient heritage.
They fortunately only destroyed small parts of certain lines, not the whole thing. That would be a disaster. But yes, it's pretty awful.

Log4Girlz

Those temples are old and filthy, I'm glad they're destroying their culture. Next up, Pyramids of Giza, fuck those Pyramids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom