• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie takes new IP to Activision for 10 year multiplatform publishing deal

FunkyPajamas said:
Besides, if a developer is smart with the signed publishing contracts (and Bungie being able to buy themselves back from Microsoft shows that they know what they're doing), I don't see why they couldn't sign a deal with the devil and get away unscathed and better for it.

Yeah, that's really the issue here. I'm not happy with this news by any stretch because I greatly dislike the idea of Activision profiting off of this whole deal, but I think it's important to separate that dislike from the actual likelihood of this deal working out well for Bungie. By remaining an independent dev, retaining ownership of the IP, and limiting the contract to a single universe, Bungie leaves themselves with a ton of room to work around any problems that arise with Activision in this deal. The studio itself is quite unlikely to run into trouble in any situation that wouldn't still be trouble with any other external publisher (i.e. completely failing to meet milestones over a period of years) and if the situation sours with Activision they can likely pivot temporarily to a different franchise in pursuit of leverage.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JardeL said:
To me, a branching, non-linear narrative is another piece of evidence that points toward an MMO. The other pieces of evidence would be their constant mentioning of wanting Activision's online expertise (given that Bungie does online better than Activision in everything except MMOs), the fact that they're using all 200 of their employees on a single game, and their constant mention of the "crazy ambition" of their game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
long-term character investment

I think this means it's gonna be online focused. :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yes, I agree. that might be an MMO. Never ever Activision will publish something sofisticated like Deus Ex or - what the hell - even Mass Effect. Action RPGs have no truly mass market appeal. The last similar title they published was Vampires Masquerade Bloodlines and it was borked by rushing it into holidays craze no matter what. Dicks. At least they learned their lesson not to fuck with titles like that and stick to MMOs and arcade action games. They bring money.

Man

I actually don't think it will be a mmo.
When I think Bungie I think eSports and a smaller group of players.

I believe Diablo will be it's closest cousin (permanent character but across different games) but it will focus more on acrobatics.

After all,
Blizzard is making Activisions new console MMO/mega ip

subversus

Man said:
I actually don't think it will be a mmo.

After all,
Blizzard is making Activisions new console MMO/mega ip

No, it's never enough for Acti.

Nirolak said:
To me, a branching, non-linear narrative is another piece of evidence that points toward an MMO.

That makes no sense. Nobody advertises MMOs as having branching, non-linear narratives because branching, non-linear narratives are basically impossible to implement in MMOs. By fundamental virtue of the fact that you're sharing a universe with other players, you can't get custom story content like you can in a single-player game -- everyone has to experience the same events (even if "when" they do so is spread out using a mechanic like WoW's "zoning") so there's a common base of experience and a shared world to game together in.

subversus said:
Action RPGs have no truly mass market appeal.

I know, games that combine action-based combat with RPG-style advancement never sell well

acksman

It could be an mmo and why Microsoft would not want to touch that. They have been down that mmo road a few times with no success other than less cash in their pocket.

Activision has the know how in house with Blizzard to bring another well branded name to an mmo.

I highly doubt its a MMO, but who knows its never really been done on consoles and could be a complete failure, but then again it could take off like WoW. Another thing consoles have life cycles PC's dont, and developing a huge MMO for 2 serperate platforms not even knowing if theres a market for it can be a huge risk but I guess who cares it comes out of activisions pockets :lol

Kibbles

Nirolak said:
To me, a branching, non-linear narrative is another piece of evidence that points toward an MMO. The other pieces of evidence would be their constant mentioning of wanting Activision's online expertise (given that Bungie does online better than Activision in everything except MMOs), the fact that they're using all 200 of their employees on a single game, and their constant mention of the "crazy ambition" of their game.
Paying monthly for MMOs is fucking stupid, especially when I'm already paying for XBL. No chance in hell I'm getting this game then if it's one of those types of games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
subversus said:
Action RPGs have no truly mass market appeal.

Kingdom Hearts surely has no mass market appeal.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
charlequin said:
That makes no sense. Nobody advertises MMOs as having branching, non-linear narratives because branching, non-linear narratives are basically impossible to implement in MMOs. By fundamental virtue of the fact that you're sharing a universe with other players, you can't get custom story content like you can in a single-player game -- everyone has to experience the same events (even if "when" they do so is spread out using a mechanic like WoW's "zoning") so there's a common base of experience and a shared world to game together in.
I think you're overthinking the description. When I see that description used, half the time developers just mean you have different quest chain storylines you can go between without doing them in a linear order, like jumping from a quest chain about lizard hunting in Arathi Basin to a quest chain about elementals taking over the depths of Blackrock. Basically I think they want a writer who can write short contained storylines without there having to be a progression from one to another.

As for the branching part, this usually entails turning in your fancy quest item to either Jon for Faction A points or Greg for Faction B points, which could result in slightly different rewards and a different quest ending text. One day, you might even get one or two exclusive quests from said faction.

Bungie's new IP to be an action RPG?

Job listings point to Halo studio's Activision-published "next game universe" having "branching or non-linear narrative," "worlds imbued with consequence," and long-term character investment.

Mass Effect 2 killer confirmed? :lol

Make it happen Bungie.

subversus

charlequin said:
I know, games that combine action-based combat with RPG-style advancement never sell well

4 millions copies is not mass market to me. Think 8 million and more.

Nirolak said:
I think you're overthinking the description.

No, I'm really, honestly just reading what's written and interpreting it as meaning what it says. "Branching, non-linear narrative" means something specific. There are games that include it and games that do not. All MMOs are amongst those games that do not.

I know you had a pet theory about what Bungie are working on for this project, and that's fine, but the PR you are quoting does the exact opposite of strengthen the case for that theory.

subversus said:
4 millions copies is not mass market to me.

Did I miss the memo about you getting elected King Shit of the Determines What Counts as Mass Market?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently, despite fully funding development, Activision expects Bungie's game(s) to add to their profits every year.

This would seem to suggest at least one of three things:
1.) Yearly releases
2.) Enough pay for DLC and catalog sales to more than cover a year's worth of development costs for 200+ people in years without game releases
and/or 3.) Some form of subscription based and/or microtransaction heavy game

IndustryGamers said:
Considering the horrible situation at Infinity Ward, many people were a bit surprised to hear about the 10-year deal Bungie signed with Activision. Truth be told, though, this is a great agreement for the Halo developer. Not only is Bungie in complete control of the creative direction of their new action IP, but the studio also retains the full rights to the property and won't have to pay a cent for the development. Those costs, plus big marketing budgets for the game as it nears release, are sure to be sky high.

Activision COO Thomas Tippl noted on the fiscal conference call following the Q1 results that "there was no upfront payment provided," but he confirmed that "Activision will be funding the development expenses." He added, "We expect that, as of the first release, the deal will be accretive to Activision's operating margin every year of the alliance."

CEO Bobby Kotick commented that Bungie's new IP is "unlike anything audiences have ever seen before." He added, "Bungie will have almost 200 people working on the project, and they're excited to have their products available on multiple platforms in many countries around the world."

"So, reaching these new larger audiences will be both creatively satisfying and financially rewarding for Bungie and Acivision Blizzard shareholders," Kotick concluded.
Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/bungies-next-project-will-be-funded-by-activision/

Nirolak said:
Apparently, despite fully funding development, Activision expects Bungie's game(s) to add to their profits every year.

This would seem to suggest at least one of three things:
1.) Yearly releases
2.) Enough pay for DLC and catalog sales to more than cover a year's worth of development costs for 200+ people in years without game releases
and/or 3.) Some form of subscription based and/or microtransaction heavy game

Source: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/bungies-next-project-will-be-funded-by-activision/
Well one I don't think they would announce a 10 year deal based on what appears to be a single IP if it didn't help on a yearly basis. Two, this is ACTIVISION They have gone out of their way to make it clear that yearly bled dry iterations are their model of business.

charlequin said:
No, I'm really, honestly just reading what's written and interpreting it as meaning what it says. "Branching, non-linear narrative" means something specific. There are games that include it and games that do not. All MMOs are amongst those games that do not.

I know you had a pet theory about what Bungie are working on for this project, and that's fine, but the PR you are quoting does the exact opposite of strengthen the case for that theory.

Did I miss the memo about you getting elected King Shit of the Determines What Counts as Mass Market?

you weren't on the mailing list for that memo i guess.

Top Bottom