• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King Debuting New Fries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://news.yahoo.com/burger-king-debuts-thicker-fries-amid-competition-231416304.html

Burger King Corp, the second largest hamburger chain, has changed its french fry recipe for the first time since 1998 as competition from upstarts and traditional fast-food rivals mounts.

Burger King said it made the new fries thicker, reduced sodium and added a coating that makes them crisper and keeps them hotter longer.

The fries, now a bit wider in diameter than a No. 2 pencil, will be available in its more than 7,000 North American Burger King restaurants by December 5. Prices remain the same.

"We're always trying to have the best menu possible. French fries are a big seller for us and we want to make sure we're always improving," said Leo Leon, vice president of innovation.

Leon said Burger King tested the new fries against other options: "This, by far, was the winner."

Burger King's move comes a little over a year after rival Wendy's introduced thinner "natural cut" fries that leave on some skin and are sprinkled with sea salt.

McDonald's Corp's french fries often take the top spot in customer surveys, but independents like Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Smashburger and In-N-Out Burger have been dialing up the pressure.

"The competition to have good quality french fries is heating up," said Darren Tristano, executive vice president at consulting firm Technomic, who recently tried the new Burger King fries.

"Making them thicker certainly makes them easier to eat, and since many of them are consumed in the car with one hand on the steering wheel, that's probably not a bad idea," Tristano said.

Burger King said the new fries have 20 percent less sodium than their predecessors.

The smallest, $1 portion has 330 mg of sodium and 240 calories. The fries are cooked in trans fat-free vegetable oil and do not contain animal products, Burger King said.

On December 16 Burger King is promoting its new fries by giving away $1 "value" portions for free. The new fries will be available outside the United States in 2012.

The trend in french fries is toward more "natural" offerings. That includes fries that are or appear to be made from fresh-cut potatoes and topped with "artisan" toppings like sea salt.

"The term natural seems to resonate (with diners) even though there isn't a great definition of natural," Tristano said.

In-N-Out cuts its french fries in its restaurants every day and cooks them in cholesterol-free vegetable oil.

Five Guys cooks its fries in peanut oil and gives customers the option of having them "cajun style."

Smashburger seasons its regular fries with sea salt. It also offers fries made from potatoes or sweet potatoes that are "toasted with rosemary, olive oil and garlic."

McDonald's lately has attempted to reinforce its position as the top french fry seller by promoting its fries, Tristano said.

Investment firm 3G Capital last year bought Burger King and took it private in a $3.3 billion deal. Burger King has 12,400 restaurants around the world.

The Fry Wars have begun!

Kusagari

BK's fries >>>>>>>>>> McDonalds. McDonalds have had no taste for years since they made them 'healthy'. This better not do the same thing to BK's.

- J - D -

They made a big change in the late 90's if I remember correctly. I haven't had fast food burgers in a while, but I remember liking BK fries over most other places, like Wendy's, Carls Jr., Micky D's. etc etc.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
In-N-Out's fries are awful.

I'm not really a fan of any fast food fries after they switched over to healthy oil. They all try to make up for the lack of flavor with sugar and salt.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Zaxby's does it right. Regular old crinkle-cut fries with seasoned salt. No need to get too fancy.

blamite

Noooo, I think I used to like their old fries. Haven't had them in ages, but I think they used to be pretty good.

All those changes sound pretty bad.

aparisi2274

BK had a great fries, then they changed them and put some shitty coating on them, and now it seems they are keeping the coating, making the fries thicker and just cutting out sodium...

I'll stick with the Onion Rings!

ReBurn

Gold Member
BK had a great fries, then they changed them and put some shitty coating on them, and now it seems they are keeping the coating, making the fries thicker and just cutting out sodium...

I'll stick with the Onion Rings!

Those aren't even as good as they used to be.

slit

Well I have always liked BK fries more that those oily, tasteless, shit spuds that Wendy's serve up.

As long as they don't change to natural-cut fries I'm okay with it. Those fries are a disease that needs to be stopped. Where do they get off with not removing the potato skin entirely? Stop being lazy asses and make my fries normal, dammit!

Chris R

Wendy's fries with the chili oil on them are so damn good.

Do they still have the chili oil? I haven't had fries in forever so I never ask for it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm kind of annoyed that the closest BK seems to be closed and boarded up. According to the corporate website, it should still be there. Can't seem to find a way to contact them to ask what's up.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
When BK fries changed they got way worse. I hope these are good. I like BK better than McDonalds, but I usually get onion rings because the fries just aren't as good.

Oh, they're just announcing it now? They switched them over already at the places that I go to. I have to say, I really don't like this new change. It typically feels undercooked regardless of which location I stop at.

Srsly

Banned
Fuck this vegetable oil shit and fuck the trans fat they used, tell me when they start using beef tallow again.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Hmm, I like the current fries. Not that it really matters since there are almost zero Burger Kings near me.

Wendy's change was necessary though. Their old ones were terrible.

Can't improve perfection:
fries_large.jpg

They've had these where I am for a few weeks now, I noticed the wider fry. Overall not much different when it comes to taste. Still not as good as Five Guys fries though to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom