• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy every SNES game for $24,999

saw this earlier but WHY JUST WHY have shitty pictures, just if you do not know how to take a picture just have a friend do it with a nice DSLR..........

Awesome collection very jealous would want if I could afford it.

SgtCobra

Should I?..
Serious question.. I'm doubting as I've always wanted the entire NA collection of SNES games but I live in Europe so I don't think it will work over here? (even if I'm using an american SNES because the different electricity over here) Pardon my ignorance if I'm asking something stupid, I don't have much experience with these type of things heh..

EDIT: 35$ per game? It's not worth it is it?

Alcibiades

I remember buying 2 or 3 copies of Earthbound at Best Buy for like $15 (with the guidebook and all) back in the day.

I opened up one to play although I don't remember if I gave it to my brother or not. A few years later my brother gave one of the brand new copies to a friend of the family cause he felt bad that they only had 1 or 2 games total. I remember being pretty pissed cause I had wanted to save them.

I don't remember what happened with the opened copy but it is probably somewhere in the attic. I also can't remember if I still have another one. I know I bought at least 2 but I have may have bought 3.

I wish Nintendo would release it in Virtual Console though, even if the value of the original plummets, games like that shouldn't be THAT rare.

Aeana

Should I?..
Serious question.. I'm doubting as I've always wanted the entire NA collection of SNES games but I live in Europe so I don't think it will work over here? (even if i'm using an american SNES because the different electricity over here) Pardon my ignorance if I'm asking something stupid.

Some of the games included are worth far more than $35 on the market, and he seems confident that he's actually selling them for less than they're worth. I don't personally know though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Yep, guy is working on a 100% accurate SNES emulator.

the best part,
I built this set to obtain scans and clean verified dumps for every game, which I have now finished. The scans are appearing on snescentral.com, and the improved emulation will appear in the next higan/bsnes release. I will be using 100% of the profits from this sale to do the same for the European and Japanese sets next.

More pics here: http://imgur.com/a/AQp5R

SgtCobra

Some of the games included are worth far more than $35 on the market, and he seems confident that he's actually selling them for less than they're worth. I don't personally know though.

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna do the math tonight with a friend to see if I should spend my money on this instead of something else we had in mind to build. This seems like a very good deal to pass up, but it's still a big investment.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
How many rare SNES games are there?

not too many - but once he's hunting Japanese rare games? Especially boxed in mint condition with everything - that $24,999 is going to rapidly get eaten.

You are looking at around $500 for a crap condition complete Rendering Ranger and anything up to $1400 for a mint condition. Sealed? Christ...

Then Iron Commando.... and on and on and on....

the other big issue is that, even about 3 years ago, out here SFC games are vanishing and even the more usually available games like DoReMi, Back to the Future 2, Ghost Chaser Densei etc are becoming harder to find (i went back into collecting this stuff a while back and went through trawling sites and brick and mortar stores)

Good look to him though - it'll be fun.

Serious question.. I'm doubting as I've always wanted the entire NA collection of SNES games but I live in Europe so I don't think it will work over here? (even if i'm using an american SNES because the different electricity over here) Pardon my ignorance if I'm asking something stupid.

As long as you have a step down power convertor and a TV that can accept the 60hz input it should work fine. HOWEVER, Byou and people like him have put the effort in to the emu and the extras like the full scans so, really, you don't have to. Unless you are a super super super hardcore collector, i wouldn't advise spending $25k on a full set.

I've been following his progress since he started this project, and coming to the end of it, he was shocked at how high prices had rose on games he had bought at the beginning of it.

So it may well be very good value, however, byuu's been lamenting for a while about how a few idiots are inflating the market - and you never know when/if a bubble's going to burst. That said, I don't think I've ever seen rare games come down in value without some kind of reissue/remake

This collection is misleading. It's not truly "complete."

Maybe if this collection included Betas, Prototypes and Revs it would be worth 25K, but right now?

Not a chance. He's missing a good 231+ cartridges if he really wanted to have a COMPLETE NTSC-U collection.

Someone correct me, but weren't a large number of these games donations for the purposes of dumping and backing up?

And didn't he explicitly say he WASN'T going to do this? (Being the ebaying of them off once he had successfully dumped "clean, headerless roms".)

Maybe if this collection included Betas, Prototypes and Revs it would be worth 25K, but right now?

Not a chance. He's missing a good 231+ cartridges if he really wanted to have a COMPLETE NTSC-U collection.

Good luck finding originals of those betas, prototypes, and revisions... and all of those together would easily best his asking price.

goldenpp72

The value of this lot really depends on if it comes with all original boxes and manuals, and in what shape those are. That's what makes or breaks how valuable a Snes game is really. Megaman X3 with a box and manual? 300 bucks, cart? Maybe 80.

He's been saying selling the set on to finance continuing the project was his goal for ages

Guess I haven't been paying attention to him much. (Admittedly, I don't like him too much. What he does is impressive, but I'm still irritated that he places so much emphasis on being true to the original when his Der Langrisser patch has a distinct case of "there, I fixed it" as opposed to leaving the misattributed troops.)

Good luck finding originals of those betas, prototypes, and revisions... and all of those together would easily best his asking price.

25 grand is a LOT of money. The only people who would splurge 25 grand on this kind of thing...are probably the same people who would care about acquiring betas or the two revisions of a SNES release.

You know, HARDCORE collectors.

Oh, I know that betas / prototypes are really hard to come by. But I would have liked something in there...as a bonus.

A bunch of retail games... is not really that exciting.

Guess I haven't been paying attention to him much. (Admittedly, I don't like him too much. What he does is impressive, but I'm still irritated that he places so much emphasis on being true to the original when his Der Langrisser patch has a distinct case of "there, I fixed it" as opposed to leaving the misattributed troops.)

The original Der Langrisser already exists.

They're fairly different things

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It's a complete US retail collection. He doesn't give a shit about betas or prototypes because they're not relevant for his purposes.

jbueno

I would sell a Kidney to get this and still have some leftover cash for some NeoGeo AES goodness. Decisions, decisions.

Amir0x

Banned
Isn't it like, 500 bucks? Earthbound isn't that much.

Just seeing that Earthbound box gives me chills. Ooooohhhh man.

My best gaming discovery of all time was going into a KayBee Toy store when it was closing down, when the company was going out of business, and seeing a sealed copy of the giant Earthbound box on top of the shelf behind the counter selling for $4.99.

I already had a copy of Earthbound-in-the-box, but not sealed, and I took that puppy and thought I was the luckiest man on Earth. It was like it called to me, waiting all those years so that just the right Mother fan would walk in and appreciate it. Exactly how many years did it sit in this store wasting away! :D

What about revisions? It looks like he just has one copy of each game.

I don't think anybody gives a shit about that stuff. On the Nintendo Age Forums they consider a complete set the 715 games listed by Nintendo plus eight other games that were licensed but not listed by Nintendo for some reason. So that brings the total to 723, so by their standards there are two games missing.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=21651&keyword1=list of members

I don't think anybody gives a shit about that stuff. On the Nintendo Age Forums they consider a complete set the 715 games listed by Nintendo plus eight other games that were licensed but not listed by Nintendo for some reason. So that brings the total to 723, so by their standards there are two games missing.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=21651&keyword1=list of members

Fair enough! :)

If any collectors have an extra 25K lying around, and have wanted 400 pounds worth of games...now's your chance.

Luigison

Exactly how many years did it sit in this store wasting away! :D

How many years has it sat sealed away in your collection? :p

If I came across such a find as yours I'd make an unboxing and let's play video to watch collectors cringe and entice new people to the game.

I understand why people collect sealed games, but I prefer to have playable copies and to share them with friends and family.

Amir0x

Banned
How many years has it sat sealed away in your collection? :p

If I came across such a find as yours I'd make an unboxing and let's play video to watch collectors cringe and entice new people to the game.

I understand why people collect sealed games, but I prefer to have playable copies and to share them with friends and family.

Read my post again:

Amir0x said:
I already had a copy of Earthbound-in-the-box, but not sealed

So in my mind... No need to ruin another perfectly sealed game! I can just drool after it. I don't really collect games, but I do have a small Mother franchise collection. It basically just consists of every game in the series that has been released, my sealed copy of Earthbound, and my Mother 3 GBA Micro.

Codeblue

My best gaming discovery of all time was going into a KayBee Toy store when it was closing down, when the company was going out of business, and seeing a sealed copy of the giant Earthbound box on top of the shelf behind the counter selling for $4.99.

I already had a copy of Earthbound-in-the-box, but not sealed, and I took that puppy and thought I was the luckiest man on Earth. It was like it called to me, waiting all those years so that just the right Mother fan would walk in and appreciate it. Exactly how many years did it sit in this store wasting away! :D

Conversely, in 2004, a 14 year old me walked into a used game shop and saw Earthbound complete with the giant box, manual and all that for $30. Unfortunately, I only had $20, and when I finally got the money it was gone.

Biggest disappointment ever.

Teknoman

I dont see the real Earthbound box. And I see two Zelda link to the past boxes, so I bet a few of the games are doubles?

EDIT: Actually I guess that is the real box. Looked smaller at first glance :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I only see 240 games in that second screenshot though.

I dont see the real Earthbound box. And I see two Zelda link to the past boxes, so I bet a few of the games are doubles?

EDIT: Actually I guess that is the real box. Looked smaller at first glance :p

From my understanding, there are 721 unique games and then some doubles on top of that.

Top Bottom