• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California becomes first state to ban sale of pets from puppy mills

Enzom21

http://abc7.com/pets-animals/ca-becomes-first-state-to-ban-sale-of-pets-from-puppy-mills/2530651/
http://markets.businessinsider.com/...e-of-Puppy-Mill-Dogs-in-Pet-Stores-1004209850
Gov. Jerry Brown announced Friday that he has signed a law requiring pet stores to work with animal shelters or rescue operations if they want to sell dogs, cats or rabbits. It still allows private breeders to sell animals directly.

Thirty-six cities, including Los Angeles and San Francisco, already have similar bans on mass breeding operations.

Authored by Assembly member Patrick O'Donnell (D-Long Beach), Assembly Bill 485 protects animals and consumers, and sets an important precedent for the rest of nation. The bill passed the CA legislature Sept. 14. To date, 36 jurisdictions in California – including the cities of Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego and San Francisco – have enacted similar ordinances, and the signing of AB 485 makes California the first state in the nation to enact a statewide prohibition on pet store sales of dogs from puppy mills.

"This landmark law breaks the puppy mill supply chain that pushes puppies into California pet stores and has allowed unscrupulous breeders to profit from abusive practices," said Matt Bershadker, president and CEO of the ASPCA. "We're proud to be part of the coalition that worked alongside Assemblymember Patrick O'Donnell to pass this critical animal protection bill, and thank the California legislature and Governor Brown for sending the clear message that industries supporting animal cruelty will not be tolerated in our society."

"By signing this groundbreaking bill, California has set an important, humane precedent for other states to follow," said Gregory Castle, CEO of Best Friends Animal Society. "We commend Governor Brown's signing of this lifesaving legislation to codify statewide what cities across California have already done to help put an end to the cruelty of pet mills."

"Californians recognize that pet stores enable the work of puppy mills, which cause suffering for dogs and heartbreak for consumers," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States."We are grateful to Governor Brown for putting his stamp of approval on a state policy to dry up funding for this inhumane industry."

"This is a significant milestone in easing the overcrowding of homeless animals in California shelters, relieving county budgets and stopping the abusive puppy mill industry," said Gary Weitzman, president and CEO of the San Diego Humane Society. "We commend Governor Brown for signing AB 485 so California can continue to lead the country in the protection of animals and helping end the cruelty of commercial puppy mills once and for all."

"This legislation is a big step forward for animals in California," said Dr. Jennifer Scarlett, President of the SF SPCA. "By signing AB 485, Governor Brown has helped stop pet mill cruelty and save the lives of rescue animals in San Francisco and across our state. We want to extend our sincere thanks to Governor Brown for his leadership on this issue."

grumble

I mean this awesome, but shit that's was more horrible happens to animals that are eaten for food in factory farming. What will California do about that?

entremet

I mean this awesome, but shit that's was more horrible happens to animals that are eaten for food in factory farming. What will California do about that?

Just curious, is your argument against factory farming or meat consumption?

I agree with the former, the latter won't be happening anytime soon.

Good
BriefTalkativeDungenesscrab-max-14mb.gif

W-00

It's rare for a piece of news these days to elicit a "YES!" and a fistpump from me. This news did so. This is excellent progress.

Madness

One is not separate from the other. Why does this happen for every thing? A is announced for B, but then someone posts what about C.

Puppy mills were an issue. California took steps to solve that. Maybe they will look at factory farming for domestic livestock consumption next. But this is good because now companies and businesses running shitty puppy mills will be out of business.

Love dogs and had to look up what puppy mills were.

Dear lord....

Glad the CA government stepped in to put a stop to all that. Hope other states follow suit.

There seems to be a lot of progress recently in California under Jerry Brown's leadership.

Is there a summary out there of Brown's accomplishments/signed legislation during his term? I'm also interested in seeing approval ratings for the state government, possibly categorized under different counties. Reason for this was that I was raised in Bako, and I am curious if gov outreach approval has improved. But knowing how conservative/backwards Bako is, probably not.

Sorry if this is asking for a lot.

TaterTots

Banned
Does this mean you cannot get full breed dogs anymore? What exactly is a puppy mill?

EDIT; Did a quick Google search. Good.

Persona7

Banned
There seems to be a lot of progress recently in California under Jerry Brown's leadership.

Is there a summary out there of Brown's accomplishments/signed legislation during his term? I'm also interested in seeing approval ratings for the state government, possibly categorized under different counties. Reason for this was that I was raised in Bako, and I am curious if gov outreach approval has improved. But knowing how conservative/backwards Bako is, probably not.

Sorry if this is asking for a lot.

I visit Bakersfield often and that region is still deeply conservative with little movement beyond younger people leaning left. The common sentiment I've heard among old conservatives is that Jerry Brown is ruining the state with his liberal ideology. Even the Mexican-American community is deeply conservative and votes republican, especially when it comes to immigration.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Good. I always knew about puppy mills but when I was researching getting my dog and looking for breeders it was devastating seeing just how many are in operation all over with only the most abhorrent of mills ever getting shut down and prosecuted.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This is just more money for private breeders. Cutting out the middle man.
The distinction between private breeders and puppy mills is meaningless, no true Scotsman bullshit.

Wouldn't this just force people to buy directly from the mill, skipping the middle man. I don't know many people who consider a dog from the pet store as the first option. When potential buyers decide on a specific breed and color they don't keep calling Petsmart until they get one in, they start calling breeders. Is California going to go at the mills more vigorously?

Good although there is still nowhere enough regulation. I hope this thread doesn't become an excuse just to shit on all breeders though.

The distinction between private breeders and puppy mills is meaningless, no true Scotsman bullshit.

Too late.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Too late.

I knew some people in the '90s who bred terriers on a small scale and they'd talk about how much better they were than so-called puppy mills but the way they treated dogs that they couldn't get a good price for was sickening.

numble

This is just more money for private breeders. Cutting out the middle man.
Do you have statistics on how many pets are bought from pet stores versus directly from breeders? I think cutting off the supply to pet stores would have a large effect.

I knew some people in the '90s who bred terriers on a small scale and they'd talk about how much better they were than so-called puppy mills but the way they treated dogs that they couldn't get a good price for was sickening.

I’m not saying there aren’t shitty private breeders but you can’t judge all of them based on a small selection.

Madness

How is your anecdote representativr of anything? Most private breeders are not worse than puppy mills by a longshot. Many are those who want to maintain a breed or specific bloodline, they run organizations dedicated to the breed, are involved with SPCA and dog events etc. I know some German Shepard breeders who provide dogs for police K9 units and they have a giant farm, help run dog events, donate to the BC SPCA etc.

TAJ

How is your anecdote representativr of anything? Most private breeders are not worse than puppy mills by a longshot. Many are those who want to maintain a breed or specific bloodline, they run organizations dedicated to the breed, are involved with SPCA and dog events etc. I know some German Shepard breeders who provide dogs for police K9 units and they have a giant farm, help run dog events, donate to the BC SPCA etc.

I'm not saying they're worse. Actually I'm saying that the distinction is subjective at best and finger-pointing at worst.
But I will say that I see no value in maintaining breeds.
Ban charging money for dogs and then I'll be impressed.

Ri'Orius

So how effective do we think this is going to be? Like, according to the article, the ban is really on pet stores selling breeder-sourced puppies. It doesn't distinguish between puppy mills and responsible breeders. And I could see this swaying some would-be puppy purchasers into adopting from a shelter instead, which is great, but I'd fully expect the puppy mills to continue operating. They just can't sell to stores anymore.

It sounds like a good step, but saying that this bans puppy mills seems like a massive overstatement, y'know?

Top Bottom