• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California has reached an all time high in reported hate crimes

Royce McCutcheon

Hate crimes in the great state of California have seen an 11.2 percent spike per a report released Monday, July 3 by the state's Justice Department.

In a state considered to be one of the most liberal in the Union, black people have been subjected to violent hate crimes more than other groups in the state.

According to the report, race-related hate crimes exploded to 21.3 percent in 2016 with 251 hate-related “events” and 333 “offenses” were against African-Americans. The only group that comes close to the terror black people had face is Latinos who had 83 events reported and 114 separate offenses.

Many have attributed to the spike in hate crimes to the rise of white nationalism during the 2016 presidential election and then-Republican candidate Donald Trump's popularity among white supremacy groups.

“We’re out there encouraging people to report crimes they normally wouldn’t be willing to report,” said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Det. Christopher Keeling, a hate crimes investigator. “The vast majority of what we’re seeing is vandalism, like a swastika here or there, or people making a blanket statement about hating a certain group of people, but we can’t directly link that to the election. If there is nothing saying this is related to the election, how can you attribute it to that?”

But the data is reflective of another shocking revelation about California. The state has the most active hate groups in the nation, with 79, followed by red state Florida with 63 and major red state Texas with 55.

https://blavity.com/black-people-am...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I thought Cali was the Prince of tolerance. Don't they wanna separate from the US lol.

G.ZZZ

Cali is home to a lot of prominent white nationalist. Guess they feel more "persecuted" there so they become most active.

JettDash

Any event is too many and it is sad they increased but the numbers don't seem that high given that 40 million people live in California.

The data is mostly Los Angeles. It is also largely intimidation reports. I believe that having officials willing to receive the reports could be skewing numbers in comparison to other states, especially considering the size of California in relation to other states.

That is one odd takeaway I had during my time in California. No overt racism per se, but I probably saw a total of like a dozen black people in (southern?) Orange county over the course of a year. I thought to myself how so many minorities lived nearby (I dunno, Long Beach and north?) and concluded they were shunned from coming anywhere near the burbs. It was weird.

Nipo

“We’re out there encouraging people to report crimes they normally wouldn’t be willing to report,” said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Det. Christopher Keeling, a hate crimes investigator.

Wouldn't that account for the increase? The same amount of crimes happening but more are reported instead of ignored.

JettDash

“We’re out there encouraging people to report crimes they normally wouldn’t be willing to report,” said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Det. Christopher Keeling, a hate crimes investigator.

Wouldn't that account for the increase? The same amount of crimes happening but more are reported instead of ignored.

Yes, it definitely could.

tuxfool

Banned

Yeah, I some ways that might be reassuring. People actually are more willing to report crimes that would previously be ignored.

What is the difference between an event and an offense? Are these actual hate crimes people can be charged for? Or is it more like someone was being mean but not doing anything illegal?

Caelus

What about crimes done on white people? White lives don't matter, right?

You're better off not making sarcastic posts.

(Unless you weren't being sarcastic)

I do think the increased likelihood of reporting accounts for an increase, but maybe just a part of it. California's preeetty big.

Shauni

As a foreigner this is the way California has always been presented to me by Americans and American media. Weird.

I mean, it's one of the most tolerate states overall probably, but that's says more about the United States than anything, because there's still a lot of issues.

You're better off not making sarcastic posts.

(Unless you weren't being sarcastic)

I do think the increased likelihood of reporting accounts for an increase, but maybe just a part of it. California's preeetty big.

Unless they make a habit of it, I remember this guy from another thread so no he's not being sarcastic.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Not surprised. California is diverse but it's extremely segregated. I heard more racial slurs and racist attitudes there from all groups towards other groups compared to the whiter northeast

Top Bottom