• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cameron champions higher frame rates at CinemaCon presentation. Shooting A2 at 48fps+

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

I think it could be cool. As long as they make it look sharp and smooth like in games, and not blurry like soap operas.

Solo

The thought that A2 is going to make A1, which is currently the technological pinnacle, look outdated as fuck, is completely mindblowing.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I fucking hated the action scenes in Public Enemies, but I think that might be because the rest of the movie was 24 fps. It might be rough at first but I think I could get used to the higher frame rate if the entire movie is uses it.

Just quietly, shooting at a higher framerate and at a resolution of 4K+, whilst shooting two pictures back to back and this is going to be one fuck off expensive project for FOX. I do think that this time revealing the production budget will work in their favour marketing wise.

Dead

well not really...yet
Solo said:
The thought that A2 is going to make A1, which is currently the technological pinnacle, look outdated as fuck, is completely mindblowing.
Makes you wonder if hell re-render the first movie to match the sequels (hell, he should take the opportunity to render the Hallucinogenic trip scene)

jett

D-Member
Scullibundo said:
Just quietly, shooting at a higher framerate and at a resolution of 4K+, whilst shooting two pictures back to back and this is going to be one fuck off expensive project for FOX. I do think that this time revealing the production budget will work in their favour marketing wise.

Do people have me on ignore or something? He's not going to shoot A2 at 4K because he wouldn't able to show the movie anywhere.

jett said:
Do people have me on ignore or something? He's not going to shoot A2 at 4K because he wouldn't able to show the movie anywhere.

Sorry jett, didn't see your post before I posted. Slipped my mind that 48fps footage was maxed at 2k.

Solo

Scullibundo said:

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF

THE TERMINATOR
ALIENS
THE ABYSS
T2
TRUE LIES
12 YEAR HOLDER OF THE TITLE HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL-TIME -TITANIC
AND
THE HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE OF ALL-TIME - AVATAR

COMES

THE MOST EXPENSIVE MOVIE OF ALL TIME
ABADAH 2: I'LL BE BACK TO SEE YOU

Show me some non-cg scenes of 60fps good-ness to convince me this is something that doesn't belong to soap operas and shitty public tv.

edit: preferably not 1080p because on my schools connection i'd be able to watch that approximately sometime next year.

~Kinggi~

Banned
God bless Cameron for not going for the quick cash-in, and actually doing this shit right. So good.gif

Solo said:
FROM THE DIRECTOR OF

THE TERMINATOR
ALIENS
THE ABYSS
T2
TRUE LIES
AND

COMES

Id get the shivers seeing that lovely info all over my screen

We're really going to need those bigger BR discs soon.

48fps + 3D + 4k resolution (eventually) + uncompressed surround sound = nightmare for 50gb whilst still upholding the quality we've come to expect.

jett

D-Member
Scullibundo said:
Sorry jett, didn't see your post before I posted. Slipped my mind that 48fps footage was maxed at 2k.

Yeah, also worth to point out blu-ray does not support 48fps in any capacity, and 59.94fps only at 720p. Avatar 2 might be a true theater-only experience.

Solo said:
I see you, ma'jett.

:lol

Dead

well not really...yet
I NEED SCISSORS said:

48fps + 3D + 4k resolution (eventually) + uncompressed surround sound = nightmare for 50gb whilst still upholding the quality we've come to expect.
lolol all streaming future

Solo

Dead said:
lolol all streaming future

In Canada, streaming one movie at 4K would basically kill my usage allowance for the month. LOL usage based billing dumpfuckery.

Physical media 4 life.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Anything above 24 looks fake to me. I also can't really see 3D either and when I do try to watch it, it gives me a migraine. I guess I will never see Avatar Part Deux.

Raistlin

Dead said:
I hope he shoots in 4K at least

Isn't The Hobbit being shot in 4K since that RED EPIC camera can shoot up to 5K?
Not sure. I know in the past he stated he'd rather do 2K/48Hz than 4K/24Hz.

http://petavoxel.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/avatar-mp/
So you would imagine that James Cameron, who adores whizzy new imaging technology like no one else on earth, would be all over 4K.

Ah, actually not. Towards the end of this interview in Variety, Cameron says that, “4K is a concept born in fear [....] I would vastly prefer to see 2K/48 frames per second.” (Today’s film standard of 24 frames per second has trouble showing fast motion smoothly.)

but ... I would think if it's viable at the time he'd jump to 4K/48Hz. Will it be though?

To be honest, the improved motion resolution 48Hz will yield will make it look much better than tradition 2K anyway. It may not really be needed.

AlternativeUlster said:
Anything above 24 looks fake to me. I also can't really see 3D either and when I do try to watch it, it gives me a migraine. I guess I will never see Avatar Part Deux.

See, now this is irony.

rekameohs

Banned
Solo said:
FROM THE DIRECTOR OF

THE TERMINATOR
ALIENS
THE ABYSS
T2
TRUE LIES
AND

COMES

forgot piranha 2

~Kinggi~

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
The Avatar 2 release might do 48 fps in 3d mode on imax screens and then a 24 fps downconversion on standard theater screens so it doesnt look 'weird.'

Alex

Not a fan of his flicks and don't care about 3D but this would be such a great thing. Anyone arguing against this is touched in the head, by the way.

Looks like we'll soon hit the day when movies run at 48 FPS and slummy console games still can't even meet 30. =/

Qwomo said:
I don't give a rat's ass about Cameron or what he can do, I don't suck his dick nor do I hate him, I just know for a fact that movies or television not within the 24/25 fps range look distinctly worse. I even have problems with some games because the FPS is too high. Like others said, it looks terrible, cheap, and soap opera-y.

wow. WOW. WOW
now that's lol worthy.

Raistlin

I NEED SCISSORS said:

It's not just the size, the transfer rate isn't remotely high enough for that.

Hell, I'm not even sure there are current HDMI Tx chips with enough raw bandwidth for that. I'd have to do the math (I'm lazy)

AlternativeUlster said:
Anything above 24 looks fake to me.
Real life must fuck your brain

AlternativeUlster said:

One of the main points of upping the frame rates is to eliminate the strobe shit from 3D that causes migraines, yet this solution to the problem is simaltaneously one of the reasons you also wont go see A2.

Scotch

MedHead said:
A coworker recently purchased a TV that interpolated frames to give it the look of a higher frame rate, and after seeing the setting in action, I left the house very jealous and wanting to have that framerate on every movie. Higher framerates are better.
That's the first thing I turn off whenever I set up a new television. To me it feels like the people on screen are gliding about and move too quickly.

I'm interested in seeing a movie shot from the ground up with a higher framerate in mind though. Too bad it's Avaturd 2.

Scotch said:
That's the first thing I turn off whenever I set up a new television. To me it feels like the people on screen are gliding about and move too quickly.

I'm interested in seeing a movie shot from the ground up with a higher framerate in mind though. Too bad it's Avaturd 2.

My problem is that everything looks detached and fake... like the sets suddenly are obviously sets etc.

Dead

well not really...yet
Nappuccino said:
My problem is that everything looks detached and fake... like the sets suddenly are obviously sets etc.
If the sets are cheaply made maybe

Solo

Ohhh, thats clever! Do you guys see what he did there? He took Avatar, but mixed it with turd because Avatar is so shitty. Get it guys, Avaturd? ROTFLMAOWTFBBQ

Raistlin said:
Real life must fuck your brain

Art's not real life; it's an approximation of it.

I will say that I don't really like the idea of 48 FPS either; things being "smoother" only really end up calling attention to the fact that it's fake, at least in my mind. I agree that 24 FPS is a more cinematic framerate, with the caveat that I'd first like to see some actually well-done footage shot at 48 FPS, considering that there's little but video games and soap operas to guess at what it would look like.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Scullibundo said:
One of the main points of upping the frame rates is to eliminate the strobe shit from 3D that causes migraines, yet this solution to the problem is simaltaneously one of the reasons you also wont go see A2.

Oh, I don't mind strobes and many instant flashes of color. I watched this for an hour straight last week (best part of the movie perhaps, haha): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL0lNGXoP8E. I used to have a lazy eye when I was a child, had to wear a patch for 2 years to cure it, and I could never also ever see those Magic Eye things. I rarely ever watch sequels to movies that I didn't like in the first place. I have sadly seen all the Meet the Parents movies all due to 3 different girls I dated at the time wanting to go see them and I despise every single one of them. So yes, I might go see Avatar 2 if my girlfriend begs me to go see it but everytime she makes me watch a film I have absolutely no interest in, I get to make her watch something like one of the Cremaster films.

Raistlin

Right now, posters assume all motion interpolation algorithms and implementations are the same

Right now, posters base expectations of movies filmed in 48Hz on low-budget garbage shot with video

Right now, posters decry technological advancement due to dislike of the specific director and/or movie involved

Right now, posters obstinately show their lack of technical knowledge

Right now, Mike is thinking about a solo project

jett

D-Member
AlternativeUlster said:
Oh, I don't mind strobes and many instant flashes of color. I watched this for an hour straight last week (best part of the movie perhaps, haha): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL0lNGXoP8E. I used to have a lazy eye when I was a child, had to wear a patch for 2 years to cure it, and I could never also ever see those Magic Eye things. I rarely ever watch sequels to movies that I didn't like in the first place. I have sadly seen all the Meet the Parents movies all due to 3 different girls I dated at the time wanting to go see them and I despise every single one of them. So yes, I might go see Avatar 2 if my girlfriend begs me to go see it but everytime she makes me watch a film I have absolutely no interest in, I get to make her watch something like one of the Cremaster films.

You could bust out the ol' eyepatch for A2, you won't be bothered by the 3Dness. By 2013 I wonder if they will even bother to release the thing in regular 2D screens.

Dead

well not really...yet
jett said:
You could bust out the ol' eyepatch for A2, you won't be bothered by the 3Dness. By 2013 I wonder if they will even bother to release the thing in regular 2D screens.
Thats what I though as well, but I think at most there would be an 80/20 or 70/30 3D split since people being unable to see 3D is well documented at this point.

Will be interesting to see what the 3D split for The Hobbit will be.

Pachinko

To all those bitching about 48 fps, you do realize there doesn't exist a professionally shot film that any of you have seen running at 2K resolution in a theatre right?

What I and many others have bore witness to is the craptacular 120hz smooth vision bullshit on most tv's released in the last few years. It does look like crap because it's taking something shot at 24 fps and interpolating frame data which makes for a bizzare effect.

Videogames too, although many run at 60fps too few games build their assets around that framerate , instead having shoddy lighting , low poly models or special effects and shadows running at different framerates and resolutions then the game engine is. The few gaming experiences out there that DO run at 60 fps (basically a high end pc game) look fan freaking tastic , so I fully expect that a 200 million dollar film from hollywood created with this camera will completely floor me , not to mention that the higher framerate should make 3d a bit easier on the eyes for most.

What I wonder is how many theatres will bite on new projectors with many of them taking a bath on too many 3d projectors...

MedHead

Dead said:
A movie natively shot in a faster frame rate will look MUCH better though, since that motion interpolation thing is basically making up frames that dont exist
Yes, I understand that. Considering how much I liked the fake version, I can't wait to see the real version of 60 FPS.

Shogmaster said:
Umm... Just about every new TV does inter-frame interpolation now days. I think anything over $1000 throws that in there.
Awesome. Unfortunately, I can't afford a television at that price--actually, I can't afford any new television.

I know many people don't like interpolation; I thought I would dislike it, too. Yet, whenever I turned it off, I noticed the low framerate and how artificial it felt. When I turned the interpolation back on, I was no longer looking at a recording; I was in that space. In a way, it almost felt as if I was less an observer of past events and more a participant in an ongoing adventure. The higher framerate made things feel more real to my eyes.

Pachinko said:
To all those bitching about 48 fps, you do realize there doesn't exist a professionally shot film that any of you have seen running at 2K resolution in a theatre right?

What I and many others have bore witness to is the craptacular 120hz smooth vision bullshit on most tv's released in the last few years. It does look like crap because it's taking something shot at 24 fps and interpolating frame data which makes for a bizzare effect.

Videogames too, although many run at 60fps too few games build their assets around that framerate , instead having shoddy lighting , low poly models or special effects and shadows running at different framerates and resolutions then the game engine is. The few gaming experiences out there that DO run at 60 fps (basically a high end pc game) look fan freaking tastic , so I fully expect that a 200 million dollar film from hollywood created with this camera will completely floor me , not to mention that the higher framerate should make 3d a bit easier on the eyes for most.

What I wonder is how many theatres will bite on new projectors with many of them taking a bath on too many 3d projectors...

All current digital projectors can project the faster frame rates.

Pctx

Banned
Branduil said:
28u2p0z.gif
i1gmzp.gif

Aliens is Cameron's best movie of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom