• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can any handheld be truly successful at $249?

Yes Boss!

Yeah, seems like the perfect price for the new handhelds...with iTouch, Vita, and 3DS all in that range. It is actually not a bad price. 3DS will be $200 by the holidays anyways.

Ploid 3.0

Mariah Carey said:
A bigger shame than this, actually, is that there is no $99 portable system anymore.

They need to start making them in black and white with few features. $99 would be easy for a new system then.

Ignignort said:
It's being listed for $338 for the wifi version in Australia. Think about that, a $88 increase even though our dollar is better than the us.
Assuming that includes GST and the US price apparently doesn't include tax yet then it's going to be less than $60 dollar diference which compared to just about anything else gaming related in aus is pretty good.

Everybody thinks the price was a huge factor between the PSP and DS but few remember some key titles- Brain Age and Nintendogs. These were responsible for turning the tide, not the price.

I think it's a great price for what you're getting. I don't think you can simplify it by saying "handheld" when that can mean so much.

Yoshiya

The PSV can, as it's much more than a handheld. The 3DS can't, especially not now. It'll drop to $199 soon enough, which, while pissing on early adopters will set it on the path to DS-level success.

MercuryLS said:
It's just TOO DAMN MUCH for a portable. Hell just this week the Xbox 360 250gb system was $199 at Futureshop. Handhelds need to be $150 or less at launch. Period.

What makes you think handhelds should be cheaper than home consoles?

In general i think the market at large puts more value in portable devices. If anything home consoles need to be cheaper to compensate for the fact that they aren't portable.

tokkun

mr jones said:
Sure it can. People buy iPads that cost 600+ dollars, and use it to check email, read Yahoo News and play Angry Birds. Folks like my girlfriend bought a PSP for 200 bucks, and used it for a media player.

Massa said:
People buy Xperia Play's for $500.

Yes, adults buy those things for themselves. The big issue around handhelds is kids have traditionally made up a significant portion of their market.

Snaku

Banned
Nook Color retails for $250. Hell, up until the last year, most e-ink e-readers retailed right around there.

Log4Girlz

MercuryLS said:
Am I the only person that thinks this price point is way too high for a portable regardless of features and graphical muscle?

I'm willing to bet the biggest factor hurting the 3DS is its price, I imagine the same handheld at DS1 price ($150 at launch right?) would sell like gangbusters.

Even the PSP's sales were very limited when it first launched at $250.

It's just TOO DAMN MUCH for a portable. Hell just this week the Xbox 360 250gb system was $199 at Futureshop. Handhelds need to be $150 or less at launch. Period.

I bet the 3DS would sell even better at $99! WTF is Nintendo thinking!

Honestly, $250 is the new $199. Not an instant, impulse buy but anyone with a job won't have a problem.

DiscoJer said:
The PSP started at $250 and it went on to sell 70 million systems. Which is somehow a failure because you just have to compare it to the DS for some reason, and not other gaming systems (that's sarcasm).

Again, the PSP launched at around $200 the first day it hit retail shelves.

JWong

Banned
tokkun said:
Yes, adults buy those things for themselves. The big issue around handhelds is kids have traditionally made up a significant portion of their market.
Kids don't have the money to buy anything. They whine to adults to get what they want.

Now if the product is something that the adult also wants, then it's a winner.

tokkun

AdventureRacing said:
What makes you think handhelds should be cheaper than home consoles?

There are often multiple handhelds per household, whereas you only typically only buy one console.

Kujo

Ignignort said:
It's being listed for $338 for the wifi version in Australia. Think about that, a $88 increase even though our dollar is better than the us.
Same price as 3DS though, so understandable why. It sucks that hardly anyone is doing parity here. I remember PSP had a AU$429 RRP at launch here, that was crazy.

I will say $250 is not the big issue here.

If the games are $60, it is done regardless of the hardware price.

$40 is already too much and I speculate 3DS games will be knocked down in price by $5 eventually.

MrMephistoX

tycoonheart said:
Forget about the cost of the handheld. How about the cost of developing incredibly detailed games like Uncharted that will clearly increase game prices? How much do you think it will sell for? at least 50 bucks?
Actually I think it will have the opposite effect at least for Japan. A lot of fantastic smaller debs carved out a nice little niche on PSP and this hardware isn't all that cutting edge: it's just a portable PS3 really.

I don't see the critical difference between $199 and $249. I can sit on my ass a couple extra hours and make up the difference.

Not saying $50 is something to scoff at, but an extra 50 on something that I'll likely by once and get a fair bit of use out of seems like nothing.

Thoraxes

ShockingAlberto said:
The mass market price is $200.

You don't have to start at the mass market price. You can start at a price that will get people to buy it, then drop to mass market price.
Your tag could not be more true. It makes perfect sense to launch at a high price and then drop it once you've raked in your profit, and once the market is back in competition.

tokkun

JWong said:
Kids don't have the money to buy anything. They whine to adults to get what they want.

Now if the product is something that the adult also wants, then it's a winner.

I agree. And if you have 3 kids and have to buy them all handhelds, price becomes a big factor.

Great price for the technology. However I can't see it selling like crazy to the mass market at the same price as full blown consoles.

I cannot imagine all the technology and features shoved in something that can fit in your pocket can be made cheaper to be sold cheaper, what is a mark up on a 3Ds and this other new device anyway?

KingK

I agree. I will not pay over $200 for a handheld. I also don't own a smartphone or iPad or any of that because it's just too damn expensive (and you have to have data plans and shit on top of all that for a lot of that stuff). I'm a poor college student. I want an affordable handheld gaming system.

Oh well. I still have a DS and PSP and can just buy/play old games for those systems until price drops. There are plenty of great games for both systems that I have never bought or played.

Gaborn

Ultimately I think it'll come down to whether consumers perceive value there at that price. I think Sony has packed a lot of potential in at that price point but it will be interesting how consumers respond and if they see the difference as substantial enough to justify the upgrade or even simply adopt it as their first Sony handheld.

In Nintendo's case I think they will ultimately price drop for the holidays and to compete with the PSV but I think that it's sales will be substantially better in any case when a major game release appeals to people on the system. Right now there really isn't that killer app. It will also be interesting, of course, what Sony's PSV launch line up looks like as well as the price of the games.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The question should always be: is the library of games good enough to warrant the price?

Based on current evidence, I'd say no. Both the 3DS and PSVita have very underwhelming games, not to mention glaring flaws for the former (battery life).

kuroshiki

KingK said:
I agree. I will not pay over $200 for a handheld. I also don't own a smartphone or iPad or any of that because it's just too damn expensive (and you have to have data plans and shit on top of all that for a lot of that stuff). I'm a poor college student. I want an affordable handheld gaming system.

Oh well. I still have a DS and PSP and can just buy/play old games for those systems until price drops. There are plenty of great games for both systems that I have never bought or played.

Oh trust me. The only thing it takes to buy a system is not the price, but the killer software. Let me tell you how it goes. You first bought the game, keep looking at it for few days, salivating it, watching youtube videos and thinking how awesome it would be if you could play it right now....

and then, unthinkable stuff happens!

YOU BOUGHT THE SYSTEM! OMG!

MrMephistoX said:
Actually I think it will have the opposite effect at least for Japan. A lot of fantastic smaller debs carved out a nice little niche on PSP and this hardware isn't all that cutting edge: it's just a portable PS3 really.
And PS3 games are 60 bucks.

The iPhone and android devices have show that you can make nice cheap games and have them be incredibly successful.

I love the power of the PSV but I hope developers don't forget that cheaper 2d games will sell too.

Jin34

mr jones said:
Why is it stupid? It's portable tech. Tablets are capable of being gaming devices.

But that's not their primary function. When you buy an iPad you don't need to buy expensive games for it to do its No. 1 function, but you do have to do this with video game systems. Also you forget just how many units they have to sell compared to phones/tablets to be considered a success because you make the money on the software and you need a big user base to sell the software. On phones/tablets the selling of the device itself is a big money maker plus you have all the money from the exclusivity contracts with carriers.

They might encroach on each others territories with what they do but they still have key differences.

toasty_T said:
I don't see the critical difference between $199 and $249. I can sit on my ass a couple extra hours and make up the difference.

Not saying $50 is something to scoff at, but an extra 50 on something that I'll likely by once and get a fair bit of use out of seems like nothing.

It means if I get a game or not.

Rezbit

thetrin said:
Are you homeless by some chance? That is the only reason you would think $249 is too high for an OLED screen.

LOL I'm sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on GAF.

The answer is of course, but everything has to go right. PSV looks to have the price to tech ratio really spot on. The other thing that must go right is gaaaames. PSV hasn't shown much there.

I actually want both portables to do well.

tycoonheart said:
And PS3 games are 60 bucks.

The iPhone and android devices have show that you can make nice cheap games and have them be incredibly successful.

I love the power of the PSV but I hope developers don't forget that cheaper 2d games will sell too.
I'm not concerned at all about the amount of cheap (as in affordable not cheap quality)games on the PSV.

I'm sure we will see three times as many games in the MINIS section of the PS Store shortly after PSV's launch.

pspminisnowpalyps3.jpg

What I am more concerned is about the quality and the quantity of full priced, bigger budget, "real" games on the PSV, I just hope they wont be too far in between.

knitoe

$250 is only going to sale mostly to the diehard gamers, can't wait to pre-order. Before, there was hardly any competition. Your only options were the DS or PSP. Now, there are way too many choices, shit loads of smartphones, iPod Touch, cheap tablets and etc., around that pricepoint. I just don't see 3DS or Vita doing as well as DS or PSP. But, you gotta admit $250 is great for all the tech in Vita.

red13th

It really depends on the games. I also think it's a bit too much but if the library is good enough it's money well spent.

Also it does become a question of how much money it takes to get PSVita up and running when you buy it.

Is there internal storage? If not, how much does a card cost? How much do cards cost if you want to download games? How much do games cost? Am I going to need a case or do the analog sticks not stick out too much so I can put it in my pocket?

I mean, for some people, they may not just see a straight $250 price. But I suppose these are all questions that will get answered because launch.

tokkun said:
I agree. And if you have 3 kids and have to buy them all handhelds, price becomes a big factor.
Survival of the fittest man. I didn't end up being 2 weight classes above both my brothers out of chance, I just wanted that controler more :p

The components Vita is built from will go down in cost relatively quickly. It isn't using some exotic or expensive architecture. There will be plenty of room for price cuts in the future.

antonz

Basileus777 said:
The components Vita is built from will go down in cost relatively quickly. It isn't using some exotic or expensive architecture. There will be plenty of room for price cuts in the future.
How quickly will Sony want to cut prices though. The PSP was a very profitable branch of their game division. I am sure they want that to continue

Top Bottom