• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can consoles not go with Nvidia for some reason?

Fabieter

Naaa... it won't cost anything over $399. If it's even that high. Ignore the rumors, rumours are always exaggerations. The greatest indicator of what a Switch 2 can be comes down to the power budget and that we are dealing with Nintendo. Armed with those two things its pretty easy to guess what hardware it would have and what it would be capable of.

Well I can agree with that since all iam saying is nintendo wont eat the cost for the hardware that is rumored.

What makes the difference smaller is the fact that diminishing returns are kicking hard.

Mr.Phoenix

Xbox/Playstation having Nvidia GPUs would make Nvidia lose some prestige/devalue the brand. Consoles will always be underpowered to PC, and Nvidia doesn't want that sucker association, they want to be the main reason you do end up buying a dedicated GPU (mostly for prestige, partially for the unnoticeable 5% performance gain). They made an exception with Nintendo but it was never in Nintendo's strategy to claim the best graphics and Nvidia is okay with that
There should be an award for the dumbest post of a thread.

What's the harm in going ARM on consoles though?

Apple showed everyone how you can push that architecture. Nvidia's GRACE CPU is a monster, scaling it down from non AI applications back to normal levels is an easy task for them.

Funny peoples say Nvidia doesn't have a CPU. It's the least problematic thing to create for them. They sell whole package solutions for all professional levels. Not having the old ass x86 license is almost a liberation.

Real reason console manufacturers wouldn't go Nvidia is costs, obviously, but Intel is in a good position to steal the show with their tile APUs, they have the tech inside also to reach Nvidia ML & RT, then its a matter of how starved they are to score a contract, probably a lot more hungry than AMD.

Backwards compatibility is the issue. ARM and x86-64 are two different computing architectures. They have different ISAs, different microcode. You can technically emulate x86-64 on ARM (and vice-versa); the problem is in the case of x86-64 emulation on ARM, you would need so much computational overhead to get good performance that the low-cost and power-efficiency advantages of ARM are nullified.

Sony and Microsoft don't want to face a scenario of a truly hard reset, where users wouldn't be able to take their game libraries from 8th gen and 9th gen towards a 10th-gen console. The backlash they'd face would be legendary. Meanwhile, the sheer engineering work and money that'd be required to enable compatibility of x86-64 software on ARM-based consoles would be gargantuan. To get compatibility for platforms like PS5 and Series X on ARM, probably impossible within a reasonable R&D budget, because that budget would also have to be shared with actually engineering and architecting the new consoles themselves.

AMD is simply a better choice for a full spec console. A full x86 APU solution.

Plus AMD are very flexible, both with pricing, but also with hardware design.
Sony (mark cerny) work alongside AMD to get a chip with all the customizations that they want
(variable clock system and tempest audio for PS5, dedicated checkerboarding hardware for PSPro, etc.)

They wouldn't have this level of freedom with someone like Nvidia.

And this is the real reason why at least Sony would stick with AMD. They love customizing the hardware, it's in their engineering DNA, and Nvidia are pretty much 100% against doing customizations or allowing for customizations with clients, at least to the extend AMD do.

A PS5 with an Nvidia GPU would not have had cache scrubbers, and probably had big parts of the data I/O subsystem altered because some of that is reliant on APU customizations (which they wouldn't get with Nvidia).

Tams

Last time Nintendo used an already existing Tegra X1, this time Nvidia are building a new SoC specifically for Nintendo. Its a completely different situation.

They are designing it based on Nintendo's wants/needs so it is customised.

Lol, you think Nvidia are going to design a whole SoC just for Nintendo?

It'll be a tweaked Tegra that they already have on the market (and yet again, no B2C company has bought).

Woopah

Lol, you think Nvidia are going to design a whole SoC just for Nintendo?

It'll be a tweaked Tegra that they already have on the market (and yet again, no B2C company has bought).
The T239 is being produced for Nintendo and is a customised version of Orin. We know this from the documents stolen directly from Nvidia.

Tams

The T239 is being produced for Nintendo and is a customised version of Orin. We know this from the documents stolen directly from Nvidia.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Woopah

I don't.

It's the Orin part. That is, as I said, just a tweaked existing product (that not one single B2C customer has bought as far as I know). That's not extensive customisation.
Then I'm not sure where we disagree. T239 is a customised version of Orin for Nintendo so Nvidia is doing customisation work.

Last edited:

Tams

Then I'm not sure where we disagree. T239 is a customised version of Orin for Nintendo so Nvidia is doing customisation work.

And my point is Nvidia's customisation is pretty much clock tweaks and thermal limits. Aka Fuck all.

Hudo

George W. Bush forbade Microsoft and Sony from ever working with Nvidia again. I am not at liberty to discuss details since most of it is still classified. But what I can tell you is that Bill Clinton, 3dfx and a Usenet group called "French Fries Are Toast" are involved. And it was a plot that had been originally set in motion in Cuba by Fidel Castro because he once got the wrong order of cigars and he blamed AT&T for it...

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Everyone here mentioning the time Nvidia screwed MS and Sony, but they actually screwed Nintendo as well. The 3DS was supposed to have a lot of modern features, but when Nintendo got the design, they saw was all over promised, and ditched Nvidia last minute to use another chip manufacturer (that's is probably why it was so expensive at launch).

Nvidia CEO declared some level of dispise over working with consoles, even dispised switch when it was coming to market. It's clear they ate not focused in this business, specially now their AI business blow up. So I'm really curious about how much effort Nvidia is putting over the supposed next Nintendo console SoC.

Woopah

And my point is Nvidia's customisation is pretty much clock tweaks and thermal limits. Aka Fuck all.
The X1 in Switch didn't have much customisation apart from the clock speed. Whereas the T239 is more customised, such as having a different number of CPU/GPU cores.

Last edited:
Amd provides cpu, gpu, sound , and io . They are just cheaper and cover everything.

Buuuuttttt….

I do think that in next 2 or 3 gens when everything switches to full ray tracing things could change and it may be someone completely different than amd or nvidia. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, it's going to be Apple

Loxus

The X1 in Switch didn't have much customisation apart from the clock speed. Whereas the T239 is more customised, such as using some features from Ampere in its GPU.
The T239 is actually full Ampere.

RhcgXG5.jpg

T234 = Orin
T239 = Drake? / Switch 2 = Custom Orin
BN7dkAj.png

This may mean, no frame generation on Switch 2.

IMO, I think this is pretty much Switch 2 full specs. Could be wrong though.
ToZ5F6S.jpg

A custom Jetson Orin NX 16GB (ONX 16GB)
Ampere GPU - 1028 Cores - 1.88TF / 32 Tensor Cores
ARM Cortex-A78AE - 8-Core CPU
16 GB LPDDR5 - 12 GB for games

Woopah

The T239 is actually full Ampere.

RhcgXG5.jpg

T234 = Orin
T239 = Drake? / Switch 2 = Custom Orin
BN7dkAj.png

This may mean, no frame generation on Switch 2.

IMO, I think this is pretty much Switch 2 full specs. Could be wrong though.
ToZ5F6S.jpg

A custom Jetson Orin NX 16GB (ONX 16GB)
Ampere GPU - 1028 Cores - 1.88TF / 32 Tensor Cores
ARM Cortex-A78AE - 8-Core CPU
16 GB LPDDR5 - 12 GB for games

Thanks! It will be pretty similar but I believe the Switch 2 GPU has 1536 Cores.

George W. Bush forbade Microsoft and Sony from ever working with Nvidia again. I am not at liberty to discuss details since most of it is still classified. But what I can tell you is that Bill Clinton, 3dfx and a Usenet group called "French Fries Are Toast" are involved. And it was a plot that had been originally set in motion in Cuba by Fidel Castro because he once got the wrong order of cigars and he blamed AT&T for it...

Someone turn this into a video game and give him a $250 million budget.

Game of the Century. Easy.

Woopah

Companies always experimenting with different hardware, it's normal process.
Right, but they are experimenting/customising this particular chip because Nintendo paid them to do that. Its made for them.

The Switch 2 SoC is more customised than the Switch SoC.

Chastten

Banned
I dont believe for a second that Switch 2 is anywhere near the power of PS5/XSX, even with DLSS and stuff.

Other than that, Nvidia has proven time and time again to be a terrible company to work with, while AMD is/was so desperate that they probably gave Microsoft and Sony some pretty good longterm deals. There isn't really more to it than that.

Woopah

It doesn't automatically mean that this chip will go to next system at all.
I think it's highly unlikely that Nvidia would spend years customising and building a chip for Nintendo's next generation API, if it was something Nintendo wasn't going to use in its next generation machine.

There was no other chip linked to Nintendo in Nvidia's future pipeline. Just the T239.

Last edited:
losing backwards compat and having less power. Apple's M chips are cool and all but they are productivity workhorses more than they are gaming chips. their performance doesnt scale up the more TDP you give it, kind of like the steam deck's apu, and their performance on games as is.... it's OK. Impressive by ARM standards but nothing special by console standards, PS5 and Xbox would crush it every time.

Or the PowerPC chips, ironically enough IIRC.

There are many reasons. One is that Nvidia wants to own the circuit board ip and just license it to the console company. This is one of the reasons the Xbox has never used silicon based backwards compatibility for original Xbox games. Licensing from Nvidia isn’t worth it.

SHA

Planned for obsolescence way ahead of the blue and the red team, everyone want their stuff to last.

MurfHey

AMD makes really solid hardware, and their mid-tier card, the type of card you'd see a variant of in a console (7800 XT), actually outperforms nVidia's mid-tier card (4070) for $100 cheaper.

They're behind on AI features but they're making progress with FSR 3.0 just around the corner, and their top tier card (7900 XTX) can't compete with nVidia's top tier card (4090), but it's also like 60% of the price.

AMD is just fine for consoles.
Isnt the 7700xt the mid card?

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Because Nvidia are absolutely terrible to work with.

You will see a full ARM(CPU+GPU) console before you see Nvidia in another Sony or MS console.

AMD like having the easy revenue, the profits from consoles are relatively low margin but it's easy money with no risk.

Also don't buy into the switch 2 bullshit about it being a PS5 competitor in graphics, that's classic Nintendo fanboys hyping up another Nintendo console that will never live up to the hype.

Also AMD software is getting massively better, the recently revealed FSR3 and Hypr-rx look impressive.

Yea, NVIDIA are the king's of graphics, but AMD is no slouch, so just switching a console to NVIDIA may not bring anything worthwhile and if anything it runs the risk of being worse since NVIDIA hate low margins and that's the bread and butter of consoles.

Last edited:
Nvidia was thrilled to get the original Xbox contract. As I understand it, they wanted way too much money per unit sale for what became the 360. Their offer was some ridiculous dealbreaker.
nvidia and microsoft were also fighting when the original xbox was on shelves.

if memory serves, OG xbox didnt sell as many units as forecasted, so nvidia generally wasnt happy with its returns. intel wanted to reduce manufacturing costs, but nvidia put in its contract that the price of its chips were constant--MS would always have to buy them at the fixed cost, even if they became cheaper to produce over time.
the two companies found about other crap too and it culminated in a lawsuit or two.

Top Bottom