• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can EA continue using FIFAs toxic brand?

BahamutPT

I really really doubt people will bail from the game series due to FIFA's branding.
For most it won't matter, it'll just be a name associated to the software, and just as long as they get their content, it'll be fine.
And like many have already said, FIFA's corruption has been a talking point for years now.

I think everyone already knew FIFA was corrupt. I think it would be worse if gave the World Cup to Qatar without being bribed. Appalling conditions there for migrant labour that pretty much amounts to slavery.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/23/qatar-nepal-workers-world-cup-2022-death-toll-doha
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/qatar-world-cup-workers-deaths-migrant

Washington Post published an infographic illustrating this today

qatar1.png

Yagharek

I don't see why you can't list continents and regions when applicable because he was still factually wrong. He said regular people in North America don't know who Blatter is and last time I checked Mexico wasn't part of South America.

He could've said "everywhere else but USA and Canada".

I'm sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine when people want to group everything south of the USA by saying "South America". Unless you really mean from Colombia to Chile/Argentina then say South America. But if you want to talk about everything that's not USA and Canada it's easier, and geographically correct, to just say Latin America.

I thought in context of football it would make sense to group according to federations.

Handy Fake

Listening to Radio 4 today, there's talk of boycotting FIFA by the individual bodies.
Now, would that affect the club and player likenesses allowed in the game? As I recall that's always a major bugbear between ProEvo and FIFA, and may well cost sales.

It's not that EA doesn't care about FIFA corruption. EA is in fact a complicit member.

How else do you explain all the account hacking involving FIFA? Corruption in FIFA, It's in the game!

FIFA: "You don't want to use our name you can't use our teams. You're making the only soccer game next year Konami. Congratulations."

It won't happen. It's not the organization that is corrupt, it's the people involved. You can't have a vendetta against a name.

Handy Fake

Well this all got rather interesting. I never thought I'd see the day. Just goes to show, you don't fuck with Hilary Clinton, hah.

entremet

You are overestimating the impact that today's events have brought. FIFA with Blatter is still intact. Average user will keep buying that shit.

Also even if world cup is held in Qatar, millions of people will still watch it.

LULZ

Maybe it's been put like this already, but if they were gonna release Blatter '15 this year, there might be an issue.

But 'FIFA' is going to survive, it's human components are the bits that are gonna struggle PR wise.

Top Bottom