• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone please REE-splain to me how Aliens can be offensive

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
So I'm perusing Apple+ and clicked on Aliens and came across this shit...

z2vZl1U.jpg

Now how in the holy of fucks is Aliens considered a potential to cause offense?? It's got.. A strong female lead, a cool as fuck Latino female in Vasquez, some seriously cool black actors, you just don't get better than Sarge or Frost (wasted far to early imo), you've got the evil white male etc etc so where in the fuck is the outdated attitudes and cultural depictions?? I honestly am at a loss or this just Apple covering the arse to make sure the purple haired brigade dont get offended..

I'm just after watching Alien Ressurection, not a bad show tbf apart from the whole stupid AF ending with the daft Alien/Human hybrid and was just checking through Apples excellent extended info on cast/crew etc when I came across that wonderful bit of "offense warning", seriously though, how has society got to this point where we need to put warnings on classic movies WHICH AREN'T OFFENSIVE, is this old man yelling at screen or am I justified in my old man yelling at screen???

Kilau

z2vZl1U.jpg

Now how in the holy of fucks is Aliens considered a potential to cause offense?? It's got.. A strong female lead, a cool as fuck Latino female in Vasquez, some seriously cool black actors, you just don't get better than Sarge or Frost (wasted far to early imo), you've got the evil white male etc etc so where in the fuck is the outdated attitudes and cultural depictions?? I honestly am at a loss or this just Apple covering the arse to make sure the purple haired brigade dont get offended..

I'm just after watching Alien Ressurection, not a bad show tbf apart from the whole stupid AF ending with the daft Alien/Human hybrid and was just checking through Apples excellent extended info on cast/crew etc when I came across that wonderful bit of "offense warning", seriously though, how has society got to this point where we need to put warnings on classic movies WHICH AREN'T OFFENSIVE, is this old man yelling at screen or am I justified in my old man yelling at screen???

You can’t assign logical reasoning to emotional based idiocy.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Those ads are so annoying, I saw something similar on Disney plus with the jungle book and I also wondered. The same thing happened with Metal Gear.... It no longer seems like anything to today's audience.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm just at a genuine loss thinking what could possibly be considered offensive to the Ree crowd on a movie like Aliens, I've seen it so many times and now that's it's been remastered in 4k will no doubt rewatch in the coming weeks, I get to a degree some really old movies depicting a different time might upset the snowflakes (fuck I just want to punch a wall writing that) but Aliens....

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Maybe one of the soldiers gets called a pussy, or is told he's acting like a little girl? Maybe some of the men talk about a woman in a way that might be found disrespectful. There are also guns in the movie, and today in an age where etc.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Maybe one of the soldiers gets called a pussy, or is told he's acting like a little girl? Maybe some of the men talk about a woman in a way that might be found disrespectful. There are also guns in the movie, and today in an age where etc.
All the women are complete badasses in this movie and the men know it, can't be the guns, guns are in everything

Hoddi

I'm at a loss outside of that one Vasquez joke. Aliens was very much one the first progressive that films that I can remember. It also did it very well unlike so many films nowadays because it wasn't trying to drive the point.

My best guess is someone watched the first 10 minutes and made a judgment call. It seems to be the norm these days.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The actress who plays Vasquez is a white lady. She also played John Connor's foster mother in Terminator 2.
Vasquez actress is actually a white woman and the whole mistaken for a man scene I'd imagine that's enough these days
Yup. It was probably something about her. She's of mixed decent. From wiki.

Goldstein was born in Los Angeles, California, and raised in Beverly Hills.[2] Her family[3] is from Russia, Morocco, and Brazil.[4] Goldstein trained to be a gymnast before she started her acting career.[5]

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Space military is offensive. Gender jokes offensive. Game over offensive. Queen alien offensive. Robot prejudice offensive. Aliens killing machine offensive. Surviving child offensive. Corrupt corporate man offensive. Guns offensive. Spaceships offensive. Tough women offensive. hold onto your butts offensive.

Kilau

Yup. It was probably something about her. She's of mixed decent. From wiki.

Thankfully they've retconned her story to make it more appropriate for modern audiences.

F9PSaDCakAEaAFb

A groundbreaking Latinx Aliens novel by a rising star Latina author, featuring the fan-favorite character PFC Jenette Vasquez from the hit movie Aliens and the family she is forced to leave behind. Even before the doomed mission to Hadley’s Hope on LV-426, Jenette Vasquez had to fight to survive. Born to an immigrant family with a long military tradition, she looked up to the stars, but life pulled her back down to Earth—first into a street gang, then prison.

Not saying its anything to do with Lambert, or why it should matter, but she's mentioned as being trans. Not played by a trans actor being a problem? Maybe it's the wording in the report about her? Dunno...

F4uTNvn.png

Emphasis isn't mine

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Anyone who’s served in the military knows that the attitudes, language, and cultures depicted are as accurate now as they were when the movie was made. Marines legit do not give a fuck, it’s inherent to the line of work. The illegal alien joke lands perfectly because that’s the kind of shit that gets said… plus some way worse shit. It’s not said to actually be mean, it’s blue collar humor.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anyone who’s served in the military knows that the attitudes, language, and cultures depicted are as accurate now as they were when the movie was made. Marines legit do not give a fuck, it’s inherent to the line of work. The illegal alien joke lands perfectly because that’s the kind of shit that gets said… plus some way worse shit. It’s not said to actually be mean, it’s blue collar humor.
Pretty much. I'm no military guy or anything, but blue collar kinds of interactions will always include toilet humour and jabs. When I worked some summer jobs during school in manufacturing and repair plants (including putting on blue overalls), there would be like two females on the entire floor. One place had zero women, except for the office staff. We'd all rib each other. It was all in good fun. Even the place with two women joined in and could dish it back.

But then I worked in an office for the first time out of school and it's totally different. People act and dress prim and proper. You get crude jokes in private, and not in the open like the shop floor. The shipping bay office at one company had like 50 Toronto Sun Sunshine Girls taped to the walls.

Problem is cancel culture and whiney babies is a white collar an social media kind of thing. So they are the loudest. I dont see military or factory vets giving a shit about jokes or being Twitter celebs, so that group of people will always be downplayed. They dont put enough effort into caring about getting their way like young liberals with blue hair. And physically, they probably cant keep up. An angry desk jobber can be on Twitter all day using their PC or cellphone. A blue collar guy cant.

Last edited:

The only thing that comes to mind is when Hudson asks Vasquez if she’s ever been mistaken for a man..and she replies “No. Have You?!” and they all laugh and high five her. I guess that’s damaging to some sensitive people. 😂

I'm at a loss outside of that one Vasquez joke. Aliens was very much one the first progressive that films that I can remember. It also did it very well unlike so many films nowadays because it wasn't trying to drive the point.

My best guess is someone watched the first 10 minutes and made a judgment call. It seems to be the norm these days.

Maybe they complained about the stereotypical names.

The Latino women named Vasquez is too draconian. Why cant her last name be Wong or McDougall?
It is when Hudson makes a joke about Vasquez being an illegal alien when the sarge was talking to the group. That's almost for sure the offensive part they're talking about.

z2vZl1U.jpg

It was made in the Before Times. Everything created pre-2018 is offensive.

phaedrus

This little quip by Hudson (as mentioned by others) was the first thing I thought of that could have prompted that disclaimer 🤡:

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Wow, I had no idea. That's such a strange little detail to add.
Same here, tbf unless you pause and read the bio...

So now I can add has a bloody trans character into the mix of why this movie should resonate with the danger haired cunts and not give them the willy's and seek out a safe place to recover.. my boy James Cameron showing he was ahead of his time with social issues, having said that a mate texted me back last night saying it's simples... The Aliens are black and are being killed by white saviours and going how fucking delicate those freaks are, I could almost believe it.

I dont think it's the Hudson/Vasquez quip, Hudson is merely pointing out with humour what we as the audience all know, i.e. she's a fucking badass chick

Wow, I had no idea. That's such a strange little detail to add.

Same here, tbf unless you pause and read the bio...

Its a blink and you'll miss it thing when Ripley is getting debriefed/fired from W-Y, and Ripley is in the way of most of the screen for the second it's there. I actually doubted myself and thought it may have only showed up in the extended version 🤔

xfd2suN.jpg

The cleaner pic surfaced in the "Weyland Yutani Report" book they brought out I think...or maybe extras on a dvd or something? All the crew have extended bio's. Can be found on various alien wiki's now anyways

Not that Lambert being trans does anything to the story at all, negative or positive. It may have been an Easter egg, as originally all crew in Alien were written as men? Anyway, like I said, I don't know if it is the trans thing, but it may be something that certain people would pick up on and complain about these days

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Vasquez doing chin-ups and the line about being mistaken for a man. Would be my guess.

Also the actress isn’t even Mexican.

So maybe that ?!?

Ulysses 31

I guess they don't approve of the marine talking about rescuing juicy colonists daughters from their virginities or the shame of getting male Arcturian poontang instead of female one. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Cyberpunkd

The xenomorphs represent immigrants, and the marines represent the oppressive western government. If you can’t see this, then I’m afraid you are a fascist.
This right there, instead of having their asylum application processed they are met with hostile attitudes and even fired upon!

Horror Wow GIF by Rosanna Pansino

tommib

The issue here is that the film was actually super progressive for its time and that clashes with the idiots in charge that think that only their retarded injections of moral superiority are to be revered.

It’s about demolishing any signs of pre-2016 progress in favour of their fake day zero accomplishments. Destroy the old idols so that that the new ones become insular.

They’ve done nothing for society (except the creation of unparalleled divisiveness and group labels) and they’re minimising/erasing/relativising all “old” progressive moves.

Last edited:

violence

It must be the joke about gender. Someone uses it as an insult, it’s like using God‘s name in vain.

Or perhaps it’s because they DNRed Vasquez’s freckles off her face much like in the T2 4K release.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The only winning move is not to play. As soon as you start trying to think like a retard and completely dissect a movie to look for something offensive, it's game over.

violence

Everything is problematic and you have to point at it until it changes because that is how world works!
And if you run out of stuff to point out, you start problematizing things, otherwise, there’s no reason for the crazy cat lady cult of California to exist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom