• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can the Columbus Blue Jackets continue to win one for the land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick

Banned
It's a pretty special night for the NHL, with two teams are facing off with undefeated records in over 10 games.

https://www.nhl.com/news/columbus-blue-jackets-and-minnesota-wild-to-put-win-streaks-on-the-line/c-285168292

Stats are stats:

BLUE JACKETS

When it started: 5-1 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Nov. 29

Largest margin of victory: 7- 1 against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Dec. 22

Smallest margin of victory: 3-2 shootout wins against the Arizona Coyotes on Dec. 3 and Los Angeles Kings on Dec. 20

It almost ended on: Dec 3 against the Coyotes. The Blue Jackets trailed 2-1 until Alexander Wennberg scored the tying goal with 2:16 remaining in the third period, and Columbus won in the shootout.

Leading scorer during streak: Sam Gagner leads with 16 points, and his seven goals are second to Brandon Saad's eight. Cam Atkinson also has seven goals.

Top goalie: Sergei Bobrovsky has started 12 of the 14 games during the win streak and allowed a total of 20 goals on 339 shots (.941 save percentage).

WILD

When it started: 2-1 overtime win against the Edmonton Oilers on Dec. 4

Largest margin of victory: 5- 1 against the Florida Panthers on Dec. 13

Smallest margin of victory: 3-2 in a shootout against the Oilers on Dec. 9

It almost ended on: Dec. 29 against the Islanders. New York scored two goals in 42 seconds in the first 1:37 of the third period to tie the game 4-4, but the Wild never panicked and retook the lead on Haula's goal at 10:30 of the third.

Leading scorer in streak: Charlie Coyle leads with 15 points (four goals, 11 assists). Eric Staal is second with 14 points and leads with six goals in the 12 games.

Top goalie: Devan Dubnyk has started 10 of the 12 games during the streak and allowed 17 goals on 292 shots (.942 save percentage).

Being called The Unsustainabowl, the Columbus Blue Jackets (25-5-4) are on a 14-game winning streak, and the Minnesota Wild (23-8-4) are on a 12-game winning streak. The NHL record is 17 consecutive wins, currently held by the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Who ya got?

Game is on right now on Fox Sports (whichever local networks), free on NHL TV, and Sportsnet One in Canada.

Madness

Well when every NHL game either ends in a win or loss right now, it seems less impressive than when the Penguins did it in 92/93.

What would the win streaks be excluding shootout wins?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well when every NHL game either ends in a win or loss right now, it seems less impressive than when the Penguins did it in 92/93.

NHL has never had 2 teams facing each other while having at least a 7 game win streak

(it would be 9 for minnesota and 4 for columbus)

Quick

Banned

I don't know about less impressive. With how the game is played today, I'd say it's even more difficult to keep up a win streak.

It's even tighter now too, with the removal of ties, since games end definitively with a win or loss.

Yeah, fuck off buddy we absolutely need more Unsustainabowls. Fuckin every time these teams step on the ice someone scores. kids fuckin dirt nasty man. Does the fuckin pens or hawks have a 12 game win streak this season I dont fuckin think so bud. I'm fuckin tellin ya 2000 expansion bros are pottin 240 points in '17 fuckin callin it right now. Clap bombs, fuck moms, wheel, snipe, and fuckin celly boys fuck

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
"That's how you win 14 and 12 straight games" the commentary says as players from both teams get thrown out of the game.

Okay.

Foggy

FOR FOGGY

giphy.gif

Futureman

I want the Wild to win. Both so Pens can potentially get the President's Trophy and keep their record.

Did the Blue Jackets even make the playoffs last year? They are a monster of a team right now.

Wait, what the fuck?

This is the first time I've known that the BJ are killing it this year. Good for them, I guess.

Too bad it can't be my Coyotes.

Ryuuroden

I want the Wild to win. Both so Pens can potentially get the President's Trophy and keep their record.

Did the Blue Jackets even make the playoffs last year? They are a monster of a team right now.

They were 2nd to dead last in the NHL last year I believe.

SRG01

I can't remember when the BJs were a competitive team outside of this season... this is amazing.

The Jackets came into the league in the 00-01 season. They made the playoffs twice. The first time they got swept and the second time they lost 4 games to 2.

i've never been to an NHL game but i'll be damned if i won't get a singlet ticket for this weekend if CBJ have a chance to break the record

malfcn

They had a decent season a few years ago. They have had major injuries every season. But this has been Unreal. Seeing them next Saturday.

Time for me to try and play like Bob.. Just kidding, I'm not that flexible and not going to subject myself to that pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom