• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we move to 5 star system for game scores finally, pretty please

Some Nobody

So under a five star system...
0-3 stars= Garbage
4 stars= good
5 stars= awesome

It'd be no different then a ten point scale.

No lie, when I see "three stars" I equate it to garbage. I'd think higher of a 7, tbh. I actually despise the star rating just because of that--lacks too much nuance.

Usually the only system I have any fondness for is scoreless, though. When I'm reading a review I'm more impressed by any unique view you bring to the game. As for watching reviews...I only ever do Angry Joe and the rating at the end is the least relevant part of the video.

Markoman

Ok, I like it...but add a colour scheme:
5 blue stars is a game everbody is going to love in the first 3 months after release and after that everyone will just hate on it.

3 red stars is a game that will be good once devs have finished it.

1 pink stars means the game is bad but it can serve some other purposes.

Fasty

I like what Eurogamer have done, and ditched scores and instead award "Avoid", "Must buy" or "Platinum" awards or something like that to the games on the extreme ends of the specturm. Everything else just gets a review without any sort of score or award so people are forced to read the review and make up their own mind.

My thoughts are that the scale we have now is fine and that the top graph isn't how most major sites score games but rather how the gaming community tends to read those scores.

And frankly I don't think that reading is incorrect given the amount of content and options we have these days. If something isn't really good, you should not waste your time watching or playing it.

The problem with fixing scores is that people have different priorities when analyzing these. This gets back to school marks. You will rarely have people having their test points spread evenly on 0 to 100% scale. You can rearrange the processing marks so that they will (the worst person gets 0% and so on), but is it a good idea? I mean, IMHO it's obviously bad idea with school marks, but I'm not exactly sure about the games.

The same score has different meaning to different people, making them extremely arbitrary and almost worthless, so can we stop using scores in general? Please?

Scores are only as arbitrary as the opinions backing them, and of course everyone who reads a review will draw different meanings from the opinions of its writer. Hardly a reason to dismiss them.

The thing about review scores is that you have to put them in the context of the reviewer's tastes. They are like a kind of thesis statement. If you open your newspaper or something and you see a four-star review of the new Doom, then yeah, the score is basically meaningless - you don't know what basis the reviewer had for giving that score, or really anything about his opinion on the game other than that he liked it. But if you know who Arthur Gies is and what he likes and dislikes in games, and you see that he's (hypothetically) reviewed Doom and given it a 2/5, you can actually extrapolate why he gave the game the score he did even before reading the review.

So review scores are very useful in giving you a quick look into the tastes of a game reviewer and conveniently, quickly shows how he stacks some games against others, provided that he writes a decent amount of reviews and applies his scores in consistent ways. Of course, this does mean that scores lose value when look at them as though they are just coming from some organization rather than a person (a 9/10 review for any given game coming "from IGN" could mean anything depending on who wrote it), and once you go up a few levels and get to Metacritic's attempt to average all reviews across the whole gaming press they are completely useless. But that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of value in scores, as long as the reader interprets them appropriately.

I hate the "x outta 5" system, but I HATE the thumbs up/down system. There's so much to me that's lost when I don't know the shade of quality being presented in front of me. Art is never simple enough for a yay or nay for me, in fact there's plenty of art that I absolutely despise that I think require everyone's indulgence.

Out of 5 isn't flexible enough to express the differences between "below average" and "bad" as well as the wonderful shades of greatness.

I love the "x outta 10" system.

taoofjord

I've felt for a long time that 5 stars is all you need.

On top of that, drop the objective aspirations of reviews. Most people aren't qualified enough to really go for that and nowadays every outlet is personality based, with their podcast and video presence often being their lifeblood. Users know who the reviewers are and what they like so just rate it without the pretense of being objective.

5 - Loved it
4 - Really liked it
3 - Liked it
2 - It's okay
1 - Didn't like it / Really didn't like it

By the way, no one cares (or should care) how much you dislike a game so just leave one point to cover that range. Plus, reviewers tend to know which games they'll dislike or not bother with so they'll only review them if they have to.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A 3 tier system is best

1. Do Not Consider This Game

2. Consider This Game If You're A Fan of This Kind of Stuff

3. Absolutely Consider This Game

mcz117chief

do you know why it is so funny? because it's true!
Is not.

The only "problem" is that we have far more percentage of good games then we used to have, coupled with the fact that bad games get no exposure and thus aren't reviewed so we only see the good games that generate hits and those are all 8+ games. What would be the point if IGN or some other big journalist did a review for every steam greenlit game? Nobody cares for the bad ones and the good ones get around and those are the ones that get reviewed and again get 8+ ratings.

Your system would just mean that every game out there would get 4 or 5 stars, it wouldn't magically make everyone review shitty games. Only a high profile, highly expected game that really blows gets low ratings and there aren't (luckily) that many of them. Rejoice in the fact that there are enough great games around that you don't have to bother with shitty games for the rest of your life.

Karak's system is the best, buy/wait for sale/never touch it again. Then again I love him because he is not afraid to dig deep into dirt to get us some incredibly poor or incredibly underappreciated games.

Forkball

Four stars is better.

4: Must play
3.5: Great game with nitpicks
3: Good game
2.5: Too flawed to recommend outside of specific niche
2: Mediocre
1.5: Bad
1: Super bad
.5: Barely a game
0: Emotional, physical, and spiritual pain were all experienced when playing the game

I hate the "x outta 5" system, but I HATE the thumbs up/down system. There's so much to me that's lost when I don't know the shade of quality being presented in front of me. Art is never simple enough for a yay or nay for me, in fact there's plenty of art that I absolutely despise that I think require everyone's indulgence.

Out of 5 isn't flexible enough to express the differences between "below average" and "bad" as well as the wonderful shades of greatness.

I love the "x outta 10" system.

I don't really feel like that's the case, really.

1/5 - worthless
2/5 - mediocre but may have some good points
3/5 - good but largely unexceptional
4/5 - great
5/5 - the best

There's still plenty of nuance in a five-point system. I think things do start getting murky once you start using smaller scales, though.

SomTervo

Out of 20 is best, like that French magazine - is it Jeuxvideo?

It's just disparate enough from the /10 and /5 and /100 scales that you get a better sense of where something is on it.

- 10/20 is more clearly 'good in some ways, bad in some ways' than a contemporary 5/10
- 15/20 is more clearly 'really good but not perfect',
- 5/20 is more clearly 'generally bad but with good aspects, etc.

It negates the need for a /10 system with decimal points.

Patryn

As has been said, Giant Bomb has been using 5 stars for a long while now, and I think it perfectly works out. All these people saying that others will see a 3-star score and think it's garbage hasn't come true, because they liberally use the 3 star mark.

Scores become equivalent to garbage when they're not regularly used. If everything gets 4-5 stars, then naturally 4 stars becomes the average.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The grading system A, B, C, D, and F is still the king of rating systems but no one wants to use it.

Wiped89

No lie, when I see "three stars" I equate it to garbage. I'd think higher of a 7, tbh. I actually despise the star rating just because of that--lacks too much nuance.

Usually the only system I have any fondness for is scoreless, though. When I'm reading a review I'm more impressed by any unique view you bring to the game. As for watching reviews...I only ever do Angry Joe and the rating at the end is the least relevant part of the video.

Three stars is garbage? You're part of the problem. Zero or one stars is garbage. Three stars is above average.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I like what Eurogamer have done, and ditched scores and instead award "Avoid", "Must buy" or "Platinum" awards or something like that to the games on the extreme ends of the specturm. Everything else just gets a review without any sort of score or award so people are forced to read the review and make up their own mind.

That's essentially just a four star system though.

SomTervo

Four stars is better.

4: Must play
3.5: Great game with nitpicks
3: Good game
2.5: Too flawed to recommend outside of specific niche
2: Mediocre
1.5: Bad
1: Super bad
.5: Barely a game
0: Emotional, physical, and spiritual pain were all experienced when playing the game

So an /8 system?

Terrible = 0/8
Awful = 1/8
Bad = 2/8
Weak = 3/8
Average = 4/8
Decent = 5/8
Good = 6/8
Very good = 7/8
Excellent = 8/8

Weird.
But I like it.

People still look at scores? Out of all the useless scales out there, I would agree 1-5 is probably the best.

5/5 very good
4/5 good
3/5 average
2/5 bad
1/5 very bad

Not sure why anyone would need more than that?

Cyrano

isn't that other way around? aggregate sties use review scores of review sites, if all used 5 star system, aggregate sties would be forced to use it.
Not really, since websites get a huge influx of hits from the aggregators and they have way more power than any site they aggregate from (at least, the major aggregators).

Unless of course every website changed at the same time (which certainly won't happen on the current internet)

Circinus

I really think that 10/10 and similar score systems simply don't work, now we are at the point where this system is plain ridiculous and serves no purpose:

I think we all have seen this diagram by now

do you know why it is so funny? because it's true!

now what makes 5 point/stars system superior? it covers every instance we need to stress and it works.
unplayable game 0/5
barely playable, broken 1/5
not a good game, but has its moments 2/5
a good game 3/5
outstanding 4/5
must play 5/5

everything in between can be covered by decimals, like if a game is not that much broken or buggy, we can give it 1.8/5.

see, simple?

so why oh why are we stuck with system that doesn't work for years now?

You're contradicting yourself there.

And why do you think you can dictate how other people/websites/reviewers should use scoring scales?

Stop focusing on numbers that are largely arbitrary. Video games are subjective experiences, so trying to attach an objective scoring scale to something highly subjective doesn't make that much sense, especially with a 10, 20 or even 100 point scale system like some websites do. (like how could a reviewer possibly discern the exact difference between a 6.8/10 and a 6.9/10)?

That's why I agree that if you're using a score system that it's best to keep it simple and concise with just 5 different grades like you suggest (not with multiple decimals), but the focus of a review should really be the text; what is actually concisely written down. That will give the reader the much more information and nuance than just a number that may have a different meaning to different people.

So it's best to just READ the review(s) in my opinion.

Chille

You know what we should just review the game's based on chicken parts. So uncharted 4 gets 4 chicken legs and a wing out of 5

Betty

Banned
If a game get's a 1 on the current system you know it's virtually broken.

I like the current system so I don't want change.

I don't think moving to a five star system would change anything in terms of how reviews are received, or how useful they are. Most people can interpret a review perfectly well no matter what scale is used, and are mature enough to understand they are someone's subjective opinion.

I don't think its worth changing things to cater for a loud and stupid minority who kick off about review scores.

SomTervo

People still look at scores? Out of all the useless scales out there, I would agree 1-5 is probably the best.

5/5 very good
4/5 good
3/5 average
2/5 bad
1/5 very bad

Not sure why anyone would need more than that?

I don't disagree, but how does 3/5 = average = 5/10?

3/5 is literally 6/10, i.e. above average.

Wulfram

You can essentially convert the 10 point system into a 5 star system by subtracting 5 from the score. So I don't really care which you use.

Four point scale.

Buy
Buy at a discount
Rent it/Borrow it
Pass

Five stars are cool, too.

Or we could all start reading the words in the reviews instead of the numbers. It's completely staggering how many people don't read reviews for the score's context.

Forkball

So an /8 system?

Terrible = 0/8
Awful = 1/8
Bad = 2/8
Weak = 3/8
Average = 4/8
Decent = 5/8
Good = 6/8
Very good = 7/8
Excellent = 8/8

Weird.
But I like it.
Yes. Largely based off of Ebert's four star system and how Rotten Tomatoes scored them. If a movie got three stars or above, it was fresh, and 2.5 stars and below was rotten. Really two to four stars covered everything, only dipping below for the most egregious and awful films.

A five point system just turns into a 3-4 fest. If they have half stars then you're back to a ten point system.
So what if it's a "3-4 fest?" Read the content of the review to determine what made it whatever it graded out to be.

Don't artificially inflate the score just because "too many games are getting 3s." 3 is average, and most games are, almost by nature, average. Would only make sense that there would be a bulk of reviews at that level.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well, kind of... in that there is three awards, but there is an infinite scale between avoid and must buy

It's not though. I mean the first "award" is "Recommended" so anything below that is automatically something they don't recommend. Which, to me, doesn't sound like a good game.

Vancouver

Yeah it's silly at this point. I also witness things where 6/10 is viewed as really bad but 3/5 is viewed as decent...it's the same thing.

I think we should just stick to words for a final rating and make them whatever you want

Avoid at All Costs
Not Recommended
For Fans of the Genre
Worth Trying
Recommended
Highly Recommended
Must Play
GOTY Candidate

or something along those lines. Because that way reviews where you take issue with many parts but on the whole like the game, you can "Recommend" playing it to get your final point across. Compared to giving it a 7 and initiating a cataclysm.

entremet

So essentially 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100%? We have that already.
What's the difference between a 97 and a 96 that you can discern?

Alternative, a four star game game from a three star one has more of a meaningful distinction.

Then there is the arbitrary scoring something a 99 because a 100 is some how sacred.

Why did everyone over complicate this?

"For everyone"

"Not for fans of (genre, license, or developer)"

"For fans of (genre, license, developer)"

"For masochists"

"For no one"

Simple, to the point, and summarizes the review in a way that actually gives meaningful information about the game in only a few words.

Top Bottom