• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada demands U.S. end ‘right to work’ laws as part of NAFTA talks

Canadian negotiators are demanding the United States roll back so-called "right to work" laws – accused of gutting unions in some U.S. states by starving them of money – as part of the renegotiation of the North American free-trade agreement. The request is part of a push by Ottawa to get the U.S. and Mexico to adopt higher labour standards under the deal.

One group of negotiators spent all day Sunday working on the labour file, according to a schedule of the talks obtained by The Globe and Mail. One source familiar with the discussions said Canada wants the United States to pass a federal law stopping state governments from enacting right-to-work legislation; the source said the United States has not agreed to such a request. Canada believes that lower labour standards in the United States and Mexico, including right to work, give those countries an unfair advantage in attracting jobs.

More here: https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...-laws-as-part-of-nafta-talks/article36160015/

I doubt this will change anything but I am very glad that our government isn't going to let the US bully us during the discussions.

Good. I hope that more people get informed on how not great "right to work" laws are. I'm sure a fair amount are sold on the name alone

People need to pay attention all the time so laws like 'right to work' don't fuck everyone over. Good on Canada for taking a stance when there's money on the line.

jchap

Not allowing workers to opt out of union dues is not a popular position. It isn't going to get rolled back.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not allowing workers to opt out of union dues is not a popular position. It isn't going to get rolled back.

Unilaterally scrapping NAFTA and replacing it with a deal that's worse for Canada and Mexico is also not a popular position, and yet America elected a guy to do it.

Trace

Banned

There's a heck of a lot more wrong with "Right to Work" laws than just letting people opt out of union dues.

The day right to work laws are thrown onto the trash heap I will cry tears of joy. Is this likely to happen across the country? I don't think so.

numble

But the people in michigan and philadelphia, on the other hand...
Philadelphia was overwhelmingly for Clinton and she carried union voters in Michigan by about a 20% margin. Trump's base is not union voters and those in his base that happen to be in unions presumably are not heavily tied to their unions because they voted against what the unions told them to vote.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Fuck, I want to move to Canada so bad (have for at least a decade).

Think there's any room for an embedded test analyst who works on Overwatch? : P

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta depend on other countries to stiffarm us into treating our citizens better. The USA. This is pathetic as fuck.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

You could probably get work in Edmonton or Montreal.

I can see why you'd covet our protections, but you also work for (what I hear is) one of the best gaming employers around. Surely they supply most, if not all, of the benefits that working in Canada includes.

Either way, trade you. :p

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal all have significant game developers. Edmonton got Bioware. Come join the great white north :D job markets are hot as the sun right now in Canada.

I didn't expect Canada to go in with demands. With stuff like getting climate change into the deal and now this, I'm kind of impressed. I hope it won't sabotage NAFTA in the long run.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Canada, I appreciate that you're trying, but no way in hell does this actually happen.

Jeels

I hope the US concedes on this, but knowing us, we won't, and if we did, a lot of red states with right to work laws would try to sue.

Right to work is bullshit. They're going to give everyone the contract the union negotiates so it's just a way for dicks to steal the services the unions provide.

Top Bottom