• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Ambassador: "Canada needs to let Trump ‘declare victory’ on NAFTA"

jstripes

Banned
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/07/20/canada-needs-to-let-trump-declare-victory-on-nafta-ambassador-to-us-says.html

WASHINGTON—Canada needs to allow U.S. President Donald Trump to “declare victory” on the North American Free Trade Agreement, Canadian Ambassador David MacNaughton said Thursday.

MacNaughton, taking questions alongside his Mexican counterpart at an event in Washington, said Canada is optimistic that the revised deal can be, as Vice-President Mike Pence said last week, a “win-win-win” for all three countries.

But asked if Canada can allow Trump to sell the revised deal to his base, MacNaughton said Canada must let the president tout the outcome as his own triumph.

In other words, regardless of the negotiation outcomes, we have to let the big baby think he won and "got the best deals".

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
well given that america's first pitch is "we keep breaking the law and losing at mediation when we're caught so how about we do away with mediation so we can just break the law with impunity", i have pretty low aspirations for the renegotiation.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Yes, let's treat the President of the United States like a baby. Or maybe a pet dog?

"Did you do something? Yes you did! Yeesss you did! Good boy."

What the fuck?

BaconHat

Really sad when you need to stroke the other party ego after a negotiation is finished, whatever deal was reached.

Terrell

well given that america's first pitch is "we keep breaking the law and losing at mediation when we're caught so how about we do away with mediation so we can just break the law with impunity", i have pretty low aspirations for the renegotiation.

You and me both. Makes me wonder why they've been breaking trade rules in the first place when Canada doesn't let them get away with it. (can't speak to how Mexico handles things)

poodaddy

How soon can the world whip up participation trophies for Trump?

Considering he's spent over a third of his time as president so far just hanging out in his own resorts while charging the U.S. Military 130000 bucks a month just to occupy space in his tower, and the fact that he literally has had his fucking daughter sit in at deliberations for him when he couldn't be bothered to show up, I'd say he wouldn't even qualify for a participation trophy.

Savitar

I despise any time Canada basically says or does anything that benefits Trump, unfortunately with us being just across the border from Trump it puts us in a very difficult position.

He's a spiteful man and he's the type to easily screw over any one or any number of people without a second thought. Just because he can.

Unfortunately those actions can carry grave consequences.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I got to lol at the idea of these trade deals being bad for America. You think we negotiated these deals with us in the loser position? Sure, some industries get kind of fucked over from cheaper labor and materials supplied, but overall the country sees better prosperity.

For some of the moral/ethical things the Trans-Pacific partnership was bad with how much power it was giving to corporations, but the overall package was planned to help out the country a lot with trade in the long run. You think America of all places would sign a trade deal that is worse for us?

Frankly there's a lot to gain from letting Trump think he's won, when actually getting a lot of good deals for Canada.

Going out in public and saying "just let him win" probably isn't very prudent though.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Sadly, the US seems more interested in "winning" photo-ops and headlines than they do in serious governance. And given the US' poor job at staffing their departments, and transitioning their government, I'm fairly optimistic for Canada to come out ahead in these negotiations, as America focuses on 20th century forms of energy, technology, goods, and services.

Xe4

Banned
He can "declare" whatever the fuck he feels like. Canada and Mexico sure as fuck ain't on a renegotiate the terms if it don't help them, however.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Frankly there's a lot to gain from letting Trump think he's won, when actually getting a lot of good deals for Canada.

Going out in public and saying "just let him win" probably isn't very prudent though.

If this somehow gets back to him, I feel like the... Nuance of the statement will be lost. He'll just say 'Hmph, glad Canada finally realizes I'm always the winner'

Pedrito

It'd be as simple as taking the current agreement, changing its name to Super NAFTA or TrumpFTA and telling him it's just tremendous, and he'd sign it.

Top Bottom