• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I love you bestbuy, got shipping notification last evening and Forza Horizon 2 is here today. I have faith in all the other games I ordered from there. YESSSSSS

I am off to playing some FORZA yoo

Lexxism

If I did in-store pick up will The Source call/email me when it's ready?

Yeah, they will call you if it is ready and you can't pick it up even if the item is in-store already. Though it will totally depend on who is available in-store. I was able to pick mine even though they haven't call me.

Neki

so Amazon delivered my Hyrule Warriors and left it outside on my doorstep. I guess I should be thankful I don't have to go in to the post office to get it, but I'm not even sure they're allowed to just leave it on the ground outside like that, lol.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
so Amazon delivered my Hyrule Warriors and left it outside on my doorstep. I guess I should be thankful I don't have to go in to the post office to get it, but I'm not even sure they're allowed to just leave it on the ground outside like that, lol.

I ordered 3DS from Walmart and Horizon from BestBuy and they were both outside of my house. Really scary if you ask me.

Ondore

My Ultimax shipped from Amazon today. Didn't expect that at all.

Q: If I was to move my shipping to express with them for an order with three dates (two Smashes and Bayonetta), would they hit me for the full shipping charge 3 times or just once?

cameron

Oh wow, just got a shipping notice for my PS4 from Amazon. I'm sort of not ready for it! There's gonna be so much gaming going on in the next little while heh.

Nice. Just received a shipping notification, too. That's a pleasant surprise. The initial shipping estimate was for the end of October. Would've preferred if TLoUR was a physical disk or if it came pre-installed; I have to deal with bandwidth caps.

Kudos to ItIsOkBro for posting the deal.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

UPS guy dropped my 3DS XL on my front porch, he did sort of hide it behind a pole though.

The thing is I was home, and he never knocked. I thought I heard some footsteps on my porch so I look out my window and see him walking back to his truck, thinking he took the package with him because I couldn't see it on the porch at that angle.

iphys

Both my orders of Smash just shipped from BB and FS. Maybe there's a slim chance I'll actually get them Friday rather than waiting all weekend for once.

DaBoss

Now I wish I pre-ordered Smash during the E3 deals. :(

But I did get the eShop card discount, so it kinda evens out.
Yo I just checked my amazon wishlist and the gamecube adapter for the wii u just got slashed to $24.99.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00KWL2FLE/
Thank you based Amazon.

Probably going to get it from Best Buy or something since I probably won't be home when it ships on Nov 21st.
This better not be a pricing error. Gonna order when I get to my computer.
Doesn't seem like it. It is $5 more than the US price, so it is consistent.

Persona 4 Ultimax changed from "Shipping Now" back to "Preparing for Shipment" Uh... Okay...? If it's on 2 day shipping it should show up tomorrow. Guess I'll shoot an email.

Yo I just checked my amazon wishlist and the gamecube adapter for the wii u just got slashed to $24.99.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00KWL2FLE/

And pre-ordered. Now I just need the GC controller because the one I have from my launch Gamecube from 2001 is fuuuuucked

Firestar

Persona 4 Ultimax changed from "Shipping Now" back to "Preparing for Shipment" Uh... Okay...? If it's on 2 day shipping it should show up tomorrow. Guess I'll shoot an email.

And pre-ordered. Now I just need the GC controller because the one I have from my launch Gamecube from 2001 is fuuuuucked

Might be their system. I noticed mine did that too, and as I was about to email them it ended up sending me an email that it shipped

Banned
I pre-ordered it along with the Fox Amiibo to bring it over the $25 free shipping. Plus got $20 for applying for the amazon.ca rewards visa. So I paid $24.99 taxes and all for the adapter and amiibo :)

Edit: I can't believe the adapter was priced at $59.99 CAD before this.

IllumiNate

How annoying it is reading about shipments of your games, just to get to maybe one actual deal per page.. News flash no one cares that your Ultimax hasn't shipped yet. This isn't a chat room. Yes it's deals and discussion, but can we not fill every fkn page with shipping talk every time a game comes out?

jokkir

Are there any trade in deals for Smash Bros? Something like trade X games for Smash Bros like what they did for a few games before.

Past

Are there any trade in deals for Smash Bros? Something like trade X games for Smash Bros like what they did for a few games before.

EB Games? T2 for Smash 3DS, T3 for Smash Wii U (not up yet, but probably will when it gets a release date)

Luigi87

Is it really a problem? Even if they "raise" the prices, we might still be better off than paying in USD in many cases.

We'll also have to pay tax now though.

So say a game launches at $59.99 USD
Some publishers may jack it up to $69.99 CAD, and depending one's province... IE: I'm in Ontario so 13% HST, which brings the price up to roughly $79

Is it really a problem? Even if they "raise" the prices, we might still be better off than paying in USD in many cases.
Considering the common retail procedure is to add $10 instead of actually giving us proper exchange rates it'll probably end up costing us more. I also expect sales tax to be added. Be prepared for the $80 new game price tag (depending on provincial sales tax).

It's a good thing we can still buy keys from 3rd parties, which is what I've been doing mostly anyway.

zroid

Banned
Considering the common retail procedure is to add $10 instead of actually giving us proper exchange rates it'll probably end up costing us more. I also expect sales tax to be added. Be prepared for the $80 new game price tag (depending on provincial sales tax).

It's a good thing we can still buy keys from 3rd parties, which is what I've been doing mostly anyway.

Well based on the current exchange rate, if you factor in paypal or credit institution conversion fees, we're looking at about $60 --> $69. That's not much of a difference.

With respect to taxes, we'll have to see, but I don't think simply accepting Canadian currency is sufficient a reason to start collecting them. Frankly it doesn't make much sense since they are a deterrent to sales, and Valve wouldn't make an operational change which deters sales unless they were forced to.

On a different note, how will this work for indie publishers? Will they have to set their own prices in Canadian dollars, or will Valve do it for them? If it's the latter, I expect there'll be something like a +10% system implemented across the board. If the former, then many indies might not even change the price at all, while others take the 10% route. Either way, I think we are coming out ahead here.

Well it can go various ways. The one thing every outcome has in common is that Steam/Valve have no fucking clue how exchange rates work

So this ends in one of 3 ways:

1) Prices stay at $59.99 across the board but in CAD anyway. Basically 'normal' price. I HIGHLY doubt this will happen at least for the majority of games.

2) Prices increase to $69.99 flat for most major titles with no tax. Similar case with PSN. For example on PSN you'll see COD: AW listed for $69.99. But then some other games will still be at the normal $59.99 price like Persona 4 Ultimax on the exact same store region. It's developer/publisher dependent. It's also very fucking weird but it's basically what we were paying anyway for $59.99 games with tax.

3) Prices increase to $69.99 for most major titles WITH tax applied to everything. So for COD: AW, which would be/ is $69.99, plus wonderful Ontario tax, would be $79. And fuck that noise. Again it's developer/publisher dependent. THIS will most likely happen.

Honestly the optimistic part of me will accept and hopes for at least the 2nd option. That's basically how the PSN store operates now. But at the same time Steam doesn't have a good track record with international stores. New games being sold at $69 CAD flat doesn't make a whole much of a difference because if I were to buy COD: AW right now on Steam with its current USD price I think I'd be paying $68-69 anyway. This is basically the only way I can sitll accept digital downloads on PSN because it's what I would have bought the game for if I bought it on Steam, or if I PM'd VGP or whatever at BB or FS.

Slavik81

By being tied directly to the American store, we benefited from the fact that companies actually care about the US market. They nearly always price things sensibly in USD, and my credit card company always charged me a fair conversation. I doubt game companies will be so consistent when setting prices specifically for Canada.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So, Best Buy told me that all copies couldn't be provided to them. Therefore, while I pre-ordered months in advance I'm shit out of luck. Did anyone here get P4AU without pre-ordering? Did you get the tarot cards with the package or just the game?

How annoying it is reading about shipments of your games, just to get to maybe one actual deal per page.. News flash no one cares that your Ultimax hasn't shipped yet. This isn't a chat room. Yes it's deals and discussion, but can we not fill every fkn page with shipping talk every time a game comes out?

If you only want deals go to RFD then.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I wonder if Best Buy will ship Smash Bros tomorrow considering they charged today. If they do, then I'll receive it on Thursday. :O

johnnycanuck4

Neo Member
If you only want deals go to RFD then.[/QUOTE]

Read the title of the thread; "Canadian gaming deals." The thread is being hijacked with lame ass shipping discussion.

DVCY201

So, Best Buy told me that all copies couldn't be provided to them. Therefore, while I pre-ordered months in advance I'm shit out of luck. Did anyone here get P4AU without pre-ordering? Did you get the tarot cards with the package or just the game?

So if they get more in, will they honor it? Like, you'll still get all the pre-order bonuses? Or should I be making a trip to BB/FS/EB within this week?

theRizzle

Read the title of the thread; "Canadian gaming deals." The thread is being hijacked with lame ass shipping discussion.

I don't know how long you've been lurking GAF or reading this thread, but the Gaming Deals thread has always been the de facto "Canada Chat" thread. Sorry if you don't like it, but nobody is making you read or post here.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So if they get more in, will they honor it? Like, you'll still get all the pre-order bonuses? Or should I be making a trip to BB/FS/EB within this week?
If you, like me, never got your credit card charged in the first place go to Best Buy asap. I calmly explained my situation to a sales rep and after checking the system she told me that there was a mistake and that I was never going to get the game shipped, since it technically sold out before they could fulfill my order. In the end they were super nice and sold me a copy they had in the store for the discounted price. :)

Top Bottom