• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aonuma

So I tried...in vain...to get Amazon to exchange my $35 (praise Fularu) WiiU copy of Zelda for the Switch version instead.

First rep wouldn't/couldn't do it but I got disconnected and reconnected somehow before the chat ended.

Second rep couldn't do it, but offered a that i cancel the wiiu version and he'd give a $35 refund to apply towards the Switch version but before he could do it, again chat got disconnected and reconnected.

Third rep came on and said not to worry, they could follow through with what was promised. Offered a straight up $35 promo credit (no need to cancel my wiiu version). So I ordered the Switch version and applied the credit. After Prime discount (chose to give it a go for a year) the Switch version of the game is $28. And I'll have the WiiU version of the game still coming in for $35.

I really feel you get treated differently as a Prime member.

Agreed, I had them apply my Prime discount to the Sonic Mania Collector's Edition for Switch when it wasn't and it took less than 5 minutes even though my chat also mysteriously disconnected and was reassigned.

Conezays

Agreed, I had them apply my Prime discount to the Sonic Mania Collector's Edition for Switch when it wasn't and it took less than 5 minutes even though my chat also mysteriously disconnected and was reassigned.

Nice, I'll have to try this myself though may wait to try Switch's "d-pad" before deciding on which version to get. I imagine most of these release dates and lack of Prime discounts will be fixed automatically in due time given I have release day shipping and discounts on other games coming out in the next two months.

kennah

If anyone changes their mind about wanting to keep a cheap Wii U Zelda, I'll take it off your hands. There's no way we're going to get a Switch before christmas, but the new Zelda would make a nice birthday present for my son.

aechris

I just got back from EB and ohhhh man am I glad I did.

Kid Icarus 3DS / Mario Golf 3DS / Hatsune Miku Diva f PS3 $80 (three lowest trade in games)
Smash Bros Wii U $50
Super Mario Bros U $24
Fire Emblem Fates $30
Until Dawn $18 (I paid $18 for this!)
Mario Maker $56(!!)
Hyrule Warriors $48
Mario Kart 8 $50

I don't know if this is how it's supposed to work, but he said you could trade in whateevr you wanted for double TIV as long as it went to Switch stuff, games, accessories, whatever.

Sold Twilight Princess this morning for $40 on Kijiji.

I put $200 down on a red/blue console yesterday, today I owe nothing plus I added Zelda and most of another pair of Joy-Cons. The two working at the store were laughing when he gave me the total TIV. Take advantage while you can - this is ridiculous.

I just got back from EB and ohhhh man am I glad I did.

Kid Icarus 3DS / Mario Golf 3DS / Hatsune Miku Diva f PS3 $80 (three lowest trade in games)
Smash Bros Wii U $50
Super Mario Bros U $24
Fire Emblem Fates $30
Until Dawn $18 (I paid $18 for this!)
Mario Maker $56(!!)
Hyrule Warriors $48
Mario Kart 8 $50

I don't know if this is how it's supposed to work, but he said you could trade in whateevr you wanted for double TIV as long as it went to Switch stuff, games, accessories, whatever.

Sold Twilight Princess this morning for $40 on Kijiji.

I put $200 down on a red/blue console yesterday, today I owe nothing plus I added Zelda and most of another pair of Joy-Cons. The two working at the store were laughing when he gave me the total TIV. Take advantage while you can - this is ridiculous.

Huge thanks for the tip. I had no intention of pre-ordering this seemingly awful launch system, but the trade-in values were too great to pass up. Over $100 for titanfall 2 and two 3ds games. May go back later this month with more.

Ventara

Maaan, I'm really torn on whether to get the Switch or not thanks to the EB promos. It was gonna be an easy pass, but I've got a spare backup WiiU that I don't really need. Along with Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker and Final Fantasy 15, I should be $300 there.

It's just that there doesn't seem to be many games for it, and it's looking like it'll be a bigger flop than the WiiU. And if that happens, I'm sure Nintendo will drop support like a rock and prepare a new console for PS5/X2, which is in what, 3 years at most?

But then again, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2...

Arghhh, what do I do? I'm just worried there'll only be about 5 games that I want on the Switch throughout it's short life, and who knows if the next console my be backwards compatible? it really doesn't help that I have to buy new controllers again for MK8, and that they're super expensive. or that online will be paid.

Lizardus

Maaan, I'm really torn on whether to get the Switch or not thanks to the EB promos. It was gonna be an easy pass, but I've got a spare backup WiiU that I don't really need. Along with Mario Kart 8, Mario Maker and Final Fantasy 15, I should be $300 there.

It's just that there doesn't seem to be many games for it, and it's looking like it'll be a bigger flop than the WiiU. And if that happens, I'm sure Nintendo will drop support like a rock and prepare a new console for PS5/X2, which is in what, 3 years at most?

But then again, Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2...

Arghhh, what do I do? I'm just worried there'll only be about 5 games that I want on the Switch throughout it's short life, and who knows if the next console my be backwards compatible? it really doesn't help that I have to buy new controllers again for MK8, and that they're super expensive. or that online will be paid.

You bought a WiiU. Can't be worse than that right?

You already have a Zelda, a Mario and Xeno 2.

Ventara

You bought a WiiU. Can't be worse than that right?

You already have a Zelda, a Mario and Xeno 2.

I actually think the WiiU was pretty amazing. Got it for $250 when 3D World released, I could use my Wiimotes on it. It could play Wii games.

I think I am maybe being too critical of the Switch, though. When all is said and done, it'll probably have a library comparable to the WiiU, which I think is pretty great.

Ventara

Just saw that the US gets $195 towards their switch (admittedly, with a $15 membership). But still that's almost double what we get when you factor in the exchange rate.

Where are peoples pre-ordering the Switch? How come there's a "supply" of pre-ordering anyway?

Nintendo advises retailers about how much day one stock they can order. Supply is somewhat limited because they are trying to ship in a bunch of countries at once so even 2 million can only be cut into so many pieces for the major retailers of each region.

Conezays

It's kind of interesting (read: painful) to think that the PS4 launched at $399 USD/CDN in 2013 and yet we're paying the same price here for the Switch, launching at $299 USD/$399 CDN in 2017 :p

Maximus.

Where are peoples pre-ordering the Switch? How come there's a "supply" of pre-ordering anyway?

Nintendo can only make so many units for launch, especially with it coming out in so many different markets at once. Retailers are only given a certain allotment of units, so that they are not backordered for customers for an unknown amount of time.

13randO

Just came back from EB. Just traded in these games for the Switch:

Kingdom Hearts 3D DDD - $20
Tales of Xillia PS3 - $20
Monster Hunter 4 - $22
SMT4 - $8
Pokemon Rumble Blast - $14
Pokemon Y - $14
Cod BlOps 2 X360 - $7
Mario Kart - $50

With my other trade ins, I just gotta pay $168 for my Switch. Dope.

killroy87

Just came back from EB. Just traded in these games for the Switch:

Kingdom Hearts 3D DDD - $20
Tales of Xillia PS3 - $20
Monster Hunter 4 - $22
SMT4 - $8
Pokemon Rumble Blast - $14
Pokemon Y - $14
Cod BlOps 2 X360 - $7
Mario Kart - $50

With my other trade ins, I just gotta pay $168 for my Switch. Dope.

Pokemon Y only gives $7 trade in? That's really low for a Nintendo/Pokemon game

NYR

It's kind of interesting (read: painful) to think that the PS4 launched at $399 USD/CDN in 2013 and yet we're paying the same price here for the Switch, launching at $299 USD/$399 CDN in 2017 :p
Jan%2023%20crude%20weekly2.jpg

It's been painful. No recovery for the Petro dollar in sight anytime soon.

Conezays

Generally Amazon will ship the console early so it arrives on release day, I've seen people on the US Amazon thread getting that estimate because of that.

I think they're just slowly updating whatever is going on in their system at the moment regarding Switch-related stuff. Even Zelda is showing as arriving March 7th-8th for me, etc. whereas stuff like Nioh is scheduled to arrive on release day. I'm trying to look at this optimistically :p (Prime user here as well).

Got ~$210 for my trade in games in EB Games. With that and $200 down, my Switch is paid off! This trade in promo is excellent, too bad I don't have any other games I'm willing to part with.

CazTGG

Re: Nintendo Switch Availability.

I've been asking around several EBGames outlets in regards to the amount of units that they have for pre-order in one of the largest and busiest cities. The highest amount for the store in the city's busiest district is only getting 12 units while other stores are getting anywhere between 6 to 8. Even one of the store reps sounded shocked by the lack of units they were getting, though they did mention it's possible Nintendo is gauging interest before manufacturing more units to send to stores. Obviously this should be taken with a grain of salt (I haven't called up any Best Buy stores) but it seems plausible that the Switch will be suffering from a shortage, be it artificial on Nintendo's part or otherwise, as we all expected.

Luigi87

Re: Nintendo Switch Availability.

I've been asking around several EBGames outlets in regards to the amount of units that they have for pre-order in one of the largest and busiest cities. The highest amount for the store in the city's busiest district is only getting 12 units while other stores are getting anywhere between 6 to 8. Even one of the store reps sounded shocked by the lack of units they were getting, though they did mention it's possible Nintendo is gauging interest before manufacturing more units to send to stores. Obviously this should be taken with a grain of salt (I haven't called up any Best Buy stores) but it seems plausible that the Switch will be suffering from a shortage, be it artificial on Nintendo's part or otherwise, as we all expected.

Yeah it definitely varies location to location.
The EB I went to is apparently getting 45 gray, but only 12 neon. Makes one wonder how these things are determined.

... Heck the BB I work at, when the NES Classic released, it got double stock than any other store in the district.

Firestorm

Oakridge was still taking pre-orders until like 1PM today and Richmond Centre had pre-orders left when I was there last night around 7PM as well. Everyone who wants a Switch should have had a chance to pre-order. The trade in promo is pretty great mostly due to how valuable older Nintendo titles are and how much they're giving for the Wii U. I'm planning to bring in Uncharted 4 and Mario Maker later this week. Already got rid of Smash Bros and Mario Kart during the 2x day last month and the Wii U on Craigslist.

EB is giving me about the price I paid for most of this stuff so it's working out pretty nicely.

Lexxism

So, I traded my WiiU + a bunch of WiiU games and ps4 and got 446 credit on it. I'll be paying $34+taxes for Zelda and Switch. Not bad.

DVCY201

I'll pop in tomorrow then when they open. Hopefully pre-orders are open still, I'm kinda surprised. It seems a bit more popular than the Wii U or maybe Nintendo is just being more conservative with shipments

Moltenix

How does this limited preorder stuff work anyway? Since preorders are limited, if a retailer sells out of preorders for a product, does that mean that particular store no longer has any units available for walk-in customers on release day?

Like when Mar 3rd rolls around and retailers start advertising in their flyers "Nintendo Switch out in stores this Friday!". If someone sees this for the first time and decides they wanna pick one up, does that mean they won't find any if they go to a store that has sold out of preorders?

MrFlooD

How does this limited preorder stuff work anyway? Since preorders are limited, if a retailer sells out of preorders for a product, does that mean that particular store no longer has any units available for walk-in customers on release day?

Like when Mar 3rd rolls around and retailers start advertising in their flyers "Nintendo Switch out in stores this Friday!". If someone sees this for the first time and decides they wanna pick one up, does that mean they won't find any if they go to a store that has sold out of preorders?

An EB might might have 55 pre-order slots, but get 60 units at launch. Almost all stores take less pre-orders than what they will actually receive.

That said, I have seen the the extra be as little as 1 extra unit.

So I tried...in vain...to get Amazon to exchange my $35 (praise Fularu) WiiU copy of Zelda for the Switch version instead.

First rep wouldn't/couldn't do it but I got disconnected and reconnected somehow before the chat ended.

Second rep couldn't do it, but offered a that i cancel the wiiu version and he'd give a $35 refund to apply towards the Switch version but before he could do it, again chat got disconnected and reconnected.

Third rep came on and said not to worry, they could follow through with what was promised. Offered a straight up $35 promo credit (no need to cancel my wiiu version). So I ordered the Switch version and applied the credit. After Prime discount (chose to give it a go for a year) the Switch version of the game is $28. And I'll have the WiiU version of the game still coming in for $35.

I really feel you get treated differently as a Prime member.

Weird. So far I've tried twice now with no luck. Say they're limited and not able to do anything like that. Even when offering the method you described.

Lexxism

For those interested, these are the value of the games I traded:

[PS4] Digimon Cyber Sleuth - 14
[PS4] Uncharted 4 - 48
[PS4] FFXV - 56
[WiU] Mario 3D World - 18
[WiU] Xenoblade X - 54
[WiU] Wii Party U - 14
[WiU] Nintendo Land - 18
[WiU] Mario & Sonic Sochi Olympics - 24
[WiU] Mario Kart 8 - 50

I was suprised that I got 24 on Sochi Olympics. I remember getting it for $3 at BB because of price match at The Source

So is Switch sold out everywhere (online and in-store)?
Online, I think. In-store? No. There's quite a lot left at EB games Yorkdale. I would assume it's the same on other stores or branch I think

think my good deed last night bit me in the ass as I changed my mind and want to pre-order one now (Nintendo switch).

guess its a clusterfuck at best buy and they aren't accepting in-store pre-orders. Tried to today and no luck. Online only.

think my good deed last night bit me in the ass as I changed my mind and want to pre-order one now (Nintendo switch).

guess its a clusterfuck at best buy and they aren't accepting in-store pre-orders. Tried to today and no luck. Online only.

Saw someone pre-ordering a Switch at EB Games near Yonge and Dundas.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm in Edmonton and my nearest EB just sold out when I walked in earlier today.

Eaton Centre location in Toronto probably has more Switch units available than any other EB in Canada. I'm still rather surprised they had some though, with so many people heading there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom