• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Judge to Rape Victim ‘Why couldn’t you just keep your knees together?’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

A Canadian judge is facing the possibility of removal from the bench after he faulted a 19-year-old woman who said she was raped for not doing enough to defend herself during the alleged attack and suggesting that she wanted to have sex.

Among Federal Court Justice Robin Camp's remarks during a 2014 sexual assault trial, according to a notice of allegations posted on the Canadian Judicial Council website:

"Why couldn't you just keep your knees together? Why didn't you just sink your bottom down into the basin so he couldn't penetrate you?"

Young women, the judge said, "want to have sex, particularly if they're drunk," according to the notice.

He also said that "some sex and pain sometimes go together" and "that's not necessarily a bad thing."

In December, the Alberta attorney general filed a formal complaint against Camp and referred the matter to what's called an "inquiry committee," which is made up of three judges and two lawyers.

The committee will decide whether Camp should be removed from the bench.

During the proceeding, Camp's daughter, who said she herself is a rape victim, testified that her father's comments were "disgraceful."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-top-stories-2_ae-cosby-730pm:homepage/story

Savitar

A lot of people were livid when this first happened.

Been wanting to see him removed since then, he's said he's sorry and he's learned better but honestly I don't have any faith in his capability to judge such cases and others of similar kinds at this point.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Did we have a thread about this before? I feel like we had a thread about this before.

Or is this just a fresh example of a judge being a complete asshole, and I'm confusing this story with another one?

Why is it so hard for people to not equate drunkenness with being ready for sex? Drunkenness doesn't mean you want sex. Not to mention his comment about knees together is disgraceful, never mind that he's focusing more so on the victim defending herself rather than the crime that was perpetrated.

I'm just astounded that this man is a judge.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
A lot of people were livid when this first happened.

Been wanting to see him removed since then, he's said he's sorry and he's learned better but honestly I don't have any faith in his capability to judge such cases and others of similar kinds at this poitn.

Yeah I remember when this happened. This guy needs to retire.

Did we have a thread about this before? I feel like we had a thread about this before.

Or is this just a fresh example of a judge being a complete asshole, and I'm confusing this story with another one?

This happened a few years ago, it's just now coming to a head:

He is expected to testify Friday before a five-member committee as part of a week-long proceeding that began Tuesday and will end next week in Calgary, Alberta.

The committee will decide on Camp's fate after hearing evidence and testimony.

Piecake

Are you thinking about the Stanford student?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
giphy.gif

For once this gif is exactly how I feel, I actually have no words.

Just goes to show that we're not immune to horrible shit.

It's good that they're having an inquiry and his career is on the line. This is awful, awful attitude for a judge to have and I hope he does get removed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
well that was awful and then you read the last line that his own daughter was a victim of rape and you're just like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you.

Piecake

I honestly can't believe that his daughter is also a victim of rape and he said this crap. I mean, man, just imagine realizing that your dad might not believe that you were raped. If that didn't 'educate' him on the subject, this certainly won't

Cake Boss

Banned
I honestly can't believe that his daughter is also a victim of rape and he said this crap. I mean, man, just imagine realizing that your dad might not believe that you were raped. If that didn't 'educate' him on the subject, this certainly won't

I think it's more like he believes his daughter is raped but is in pure denial of it,or is angry at his daughter for being raped, thus always making him blame the victim, like now.

Not

Banned
I would just break down sobbing if a judge told me that, knowing society was still too broken to fix and people were too ignorant or evil to protect me.

Mortemis

Banned
god fucking dammit, that's the last thing a rape victim should hear from a fucking judge

fuck it all if he ain't fired

Shaanyboi

Banned
This should be cause for immediate removal from a courtroom. Like instantly kick that judge out and get someone else in.

That... holy fuck....

Mailbox

Wow. What a fucking dirtbag.

iirc he was Harper appointed and it freakin shows... :mad:
(That is to say that he should have never been appointed Federal Judge, and should be taken out of the position)

Hycran

Banned
Gotta wonder what makes a Canadian Judge think they can get away with saying things like that in 2014. Disgraceful.

Because it was a year before Justin Trudeau fixed everything.

They are trying to remove him.

No they aren't. They are determining based on a number of factors what action the judicial council should take, including whether removing him from the bench is appropriate. The instances in which judges have been removed in Canada are rare. Even though what he said was thoughtless and not befitting someone of his stature, I'd say he will be back on the bench soon enough.

msv

Is he going to ask stabbing victims why they couldn't parry the attack? Or shooting victims why they didn't just shoot first? Why didn't you hold on to your purse tighter? Why did you let yourself get beat up, why didn't you do a cross-counter to their jaw and then finish off with a knee to the head?

How stupid

Because it was a year before Justin Trudeau fixed everything.

No they aren't. They are determining based on a number of factors what action the judicial council should take, including whether removing him from the bench is appropriate. The instances in which judges have been removed in Canada are rare. Even though what he said was thoughtless and not befitting someone of his stature, I'd say he will be back on the bench soon enough.

Careful with equating misogyny with thoughtlessness, please.

DarkKyo

God damn. It's like he's using the rapist's logic. Who gave this guy the power to judge others? I feel like being OK with rape should disqualify you upfront.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom